PSU: Hamma is Alf
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-06, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
I Hate Pants
General

Harddrive Questions.

So my 40GB HDD isn't cutting it. It's the only part of my old computer I have left after my upgrade. Im looking at wanting about 80GB of space.

My first questions should be an easy one. Can I add an extra 40GB HDD with my already exsisting one so i can get 80GB? Im trying to avoid having to erase my computer clean and than having to install everything again.

If I am able to than my second question is, am I able to add together two HDD both made by different manufacturers? My current HDD is old and I doubt I will find another one like it. I cant remember who exactly it was made by.

My friend said something like "slaving" my HDD together. What the hell is he talking about? If that is I heard him correctly.

Excuse my ignorance if my lack of knowledge on this topic annoys you.
Old 2004-01-06, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

You can use Norton Ghost to copy drives (and it automaticaly resizes the partition)

Yes you just have to set jumpers for slave/master (its best to put it on a different channel if you can, then no worries) red the instructionsn and you'll be ok.

All HD's are compatable, i have a 1.96 gb drive from my first computer in this one.

No it does not annoy me or anyone else, unless its been asked alot.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-09, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
BR3ACH
Private

A lot of people are scared of reformat / reinstall, but it can sometimes be the best thing to actually make the system run back at its peak again...

Reinstalling the software really isnt that much of a problem, and youll probably find that you wont install everything you had on there boefore as it may not be used anymore therefore lowering the amount of space that is being used by redundant stuff on your HDD.

Basically, reformating isnt as bad as people make out..

I think thats what I wanted to say :/
Old 2004-01-09, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

but its a pain in the ass to back stuff up that you need to keep.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-09, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BR3ACH
Private

You should do that regularly anyway m8

Otherwise if the worst happens, and it does, judging by my job then youll lose everything anyway
Old 2004-01-09, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
I Hate Pants
General

The thing is I don't want to have to wait in line at Fileplanet to have to reinstall all of my patches for battlefield and desert combat.

Besides I upgraded my computer about a month ago. So I avoided installing all the useless stuff I don't use anymore. But I still had to install alot of stuff. And making backup copies is a pain in the ass.
Old 2004-01-09, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
BR3ACH
Private

Backup Copies is a must, not a pain in the arse ...

If you had backed up your downloads for BF1942 and other games you wouldnt have to wait in queues, you could reinstall them, even if you had a new computer

Anyway, I dont want this to turn into an argument, so Ill leave it at that

Good luck with whichever way you go about it
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum