SOE does not intend to listen to feedback. Time for another method? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Zerging Orlando, Fla since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-26, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Re: SOE does not intend to listen to feedback. Time for another method?

Here's a quick rundown of what tournaments or esports will likely look like. If you hate it, great, don't participate, it's not forced in any way shape or form.

The first step in making esports work in PS2 will be making a real metric to compare the battle effectiveness of groups of players against each other. This can't really be XP because then the best "farmers" will be the best outfit. Once we have a metric that takes into account strategic objectives, efficiency, teamwork we will be able to have a real outfit ladder. That outfit ladder will be 100% completely based on accomplishments and actions in the normal day-to-day PlanetSide 2 open world combined arms non-instanced game that you're playing right now.

The outfit ladders will be broken into sizes, so outfits are competing against like-sized groups for position. These could be thought of as weight classes in boxing or wrestling. AT would be getting compared to TE, but PG might be getting compared to CDL.

At specific times throughout the year outfits that opt in to participate will be able to fight other outfits (within and without their empire) in bracketed invitational tournaments to see who is the best of the best. This wouldn't be an every day thing or something that players could "activate" or "queue for". Maybe one weekend some of the big outfits wouldn't be in the world for a couple hours per match, but it absolutely wouldn't be a "drain" of top level players or outfits.

Instanced gameplay wouldn't exist for day-to-day game, at all. The people who DO care about tournaments will have even more reason to play and accomplish things within the game because THEY care about the competition aspect. Those of you who do not won't have to, and won't feel any major impact except maybe for a couple hours on a weekend every few months the outfit won't be logged in for a couple hours while THEY do participate in something THEY want to do.
Old 2013-01-26, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

so heres a question for you: Why implement the score ranking on the roadmap page then? What does the fact that it currently (at the time of this exact post) has an effective score of -70 (225 down, 155~ up) actually mean? Nothing, I assume. If nothing, why is it there? what did you hope to accomplish with the reddit style functionality for this? why bother? if its already decided, why score it? why not just open it up for comment/brainstorming instead without it?

i hate to be a dick about it, but it implies something that apparently doesnt exist.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-01-26 at 05:00 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-26, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Lots of reasons, we absolutely want to know the sentiment about the ideas, and we will evaluate features based on those numbers. For instance, we will be specifically discussing the feasibility of bringing some of the later and more popular ideas forward in the schedule to get done faster based on community results. Once players can submit ideas (which hopefully is pretty soon) it will be a great method for us to use find ingenious ideas that might be a good fit for the game. And, in some cases, if ideas are unpopular we might reconsider them. We're not going to base our development schedule 100% on a popularity contest, that's never been the intention. Similarly, when players can submit their ideas and the #1 idea is "make all player characters into dinosaurs" with 50,000,000 votes, it still probably won't happen.
Old 2013-01-26, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Lots of reasons, we absolutely want to know the sentiment about the ideas, and we will evaluate features based on those numbers. For instance, we will be specifically discussing the feasibility of bringing some of the later and more popular ideas forward in the schedule to get done faster based on community results. Once players can submit ideas (which hopefully is pretty soon) it will be a great method for us to use find ingenious ideas that might be a good fit for the game. And, in some cases, if ideas are unpopular we might reconsider them. We're not going to base our development schedule 100% on a popularity contest, that's never been the intention. Similarly, when players can submit their ideas and the #1 idea is "make all player characters into dinosaurs" with 50,000,000 votes, it still probably won't happen.

No velociraptor Gun, no Player Dinos.

Screw this game!
Old 2013-01-26, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Hi Matt.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-26, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Hi Matt.
Hey buddy, how was the game? Did you guys manage to catch any of it?
Old 2013-01-26, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

well fuck, there goes any hope for a gun to shoot baby dinosaurs at my enemies. thanks for the clarification.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-26, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Similarly, when players can submit their ideas and the #1 idea is "make all player characters into dinosaurs" with 50,000,000 votes, it still probably won't happen.

You gave me a great photoshop idea....
Old 2013-01-26, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Hey buddy, how was the game? Did you guys manage to catch any of it?
4th quarter. Those suites are niiice!

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2013-01-26 at 05:17 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by basti View Post
No velociraptor Gun, no Player Dinos.

Screw this game!
I quit. It was a good run though.. it really was.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-26, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
kazumi
Private

Higby,

Firstly, I'm happy you've taken a active role in talking to the community. That shows alot about a persons character when their not afraid to speak their mind, and also take the heat when things fall apart.

But down to business. I love planetside 2. Honestly, it's a game I've been looking forward to for ages. Maybe not "Planetside2" specifically but the way the game is played, handled, and what the future outlook for it is. However, it's not there yet. The in-ability for me to lead my outfit of 100 daily active members, the in-ability to organize them in the outfit besides online/offline, the in-ability to organize a platoon smoothly, and the in-ability to manage way points for "squads" as a platoon leader makes this game hard to even fathom being a E-sport.

I'm excited to hear you partnered with MLG. I played league matches years ago when MLG first started. I think that was a great move, and will push PS2 into a new level. But we need to work on the game mechanics. I should not have to spend 15-20 minutes creating a platoon for my boys, I should not spend so much time clicking and moving my guys into their squads because they missed the timed invites.

I could spend hours talking to you about this. But I don't think we'd have the time. But I make this offer to you Higby check us out at taw.net. My Division of over 246 daily active members across the US, EU, and Oceanic would love to have a sit down with you. Even for 20 minutes and talk about what we as a highly organized, competitive, and structured community feel this game is lacking, where it excels, and just have a friendly conversation with a individual who wants the same thing we want. A amazing game, with depth, and strategy on a large scale.

Kazumi
Commanding Officer
AU Battalion
TAW.net
Old 2013-01-26, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

At specific times throughout the year outfits that opt in to participate will be able to fight other outfits (within and without their empire) in bracketed invitational tournaments to see who is the best of the best. This wouldn't be an every day thing or something that players could "activate" or "queue for". Maybe one weekend some of the big outfits wouldn't be in the world for a couple hours per match, but it absolutely wouldn't be a "drain" of top level players or outfits.
Ah, so tournaments won't be held like in say Counter-Strike, where the players actually attend an event physically.

Ah, so that's what you had in mind with it... To increase my dinosaur killing power, eh?

Sorry my mind wandered off there for a bit, what were we discussing? Ah, yes. Quad-barrel Dilophosaurus firing Prowler turret. The absolutely best choice when you want to hunt down NC and VS scum! (Just picture four of these wee guys chasing after you for dramatic effect)

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-01-26 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Ahem. Official PS2 dinosaur thread. Let's try to keep it contained, guys.
Old 2013-01-26, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sunrock
Major

The outfit ladders will be broken into sizes, so outfits are competing against like-sized groups for position. These could be thought of as weight classes in boxing or wrestling. AT would be getting compared to TE, but PG might be getting compared to CDL.
Does this mean that there will be specific "e-sport servers"? As you can never ever guarantee "like-sized groups" on any of the servers we are playing on now. At least not without totally fucking up the game.

PS: But then again you (SOE) always manage to ruin the games 6-12 months after it was released with some "idiot" patch or expansion. Way brake the tradition?

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-01-26 at 06:04 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
VGCS
Corporal

Done. Haven't logged in since new years. Definitely won't be logging in now.

Been here done this.... I remember when idea Voting like this got removed from DCOU...
OP is absolutely right, this is just another PR Snowjob. Oh sure, some of the very rare GOOD developers in their company like Malorn would have put this feedback to excellent use; but to the Top Level guys like Smed, it's just another way to string all of you along. Don't fall for it this time. Stop gaming Cold Turkey if you have to. I have...

Last edited by VGCS; 2013-01-26 at 06:01 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion