The sniper nerf. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Click here to see hamma NUDE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-28, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The sniper nerf.

/signed

Dont like it SOE.
Maybe its needed for the PS4.

You changed my LA80 trying to force me to buy a Longshot and you reduced the ammo I carried as default.
Now you want to force me with in your 150m boundary.

The same boundary you fixed everyone popping in and out of so we could see them at 300m.
And I hardly think dying to a headshot at 200-300m is currently the top of everyone's must fix asap list, if at all.

Where do the complaints come from for you to even consider this rubbish?
Old 2013-11-28, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
almalino
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Plaqueis View Post

EDIT: How does this sound; tanks shooting shells beyond 150m range at infantry shouldn't be able to ohk either, it's unfair cause i didn't see the tank before it killed me. Same goes for that liberator above whos gunner ohk'd me with Dalton.

Retarded.
Yep, let remove all OHK weapons from the game.

I think tank should not kill instantly you even if it drive over you body. Tank should do it at least twice to kill you Then everybody are happy bunnies.

Also when I fall from the high rock I should not die from it. I should die only if I drop from the second rock immediattely after the first one.

What else. Hmmmm. I need to think about it.
Old 2013-11-28, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
almalino
First Sergeant

Could it be that Planetside engine has technical problems properly registering headshots from 150+ meters in heavy fights?

This is how enemy will feel after the nerf if I try to snipe him past 150 meters

Last edited by almalino; 2013-11-28 at 06:35 AM.
Old 2013-11-28, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

and the rare times i get sniped are usually due my own mistake (standing still in the open for whatever reason)
A good point, in my opinion.

Guys who enjoy 'real' sniping (at max range with a bolt-action, not wasting ammo on impossible targets, trying to hold the 1 shot 1 kill policy) are pretty rare i think
As an aside, I found this interesting and I decided to compare stats. I know I'm pretty crap at most things I do in Planetside (or any computer game) but I thought I'd see how I fared, as a sniper, against one of the better guys.

So, I was quite pleased with myself really. When I look at how many headshots I've scored against my fire count for the Longshot, I'm currently at around 13%. My weapon accuracy is at 49% so I'm obviously not killing everyone with one shot, or even two (I sometimes waste bullets against the odd MAX, just in case).

13% sounds low but I've checked against Plaqueis' stats and I'm not a million miles away

Okay... back on topic........
Old 2013-11-28, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Blynd
First Sergeant

My view as someone who doesn't use infil very often and am not a good sniper when I do try I don't see the PPI t in this change. I regularly get killed by snipers who are miles away and I prefer that to being 1 shotted by a mana turret at equally long range. If anything they need to fix that nit snipers
Old 2013-11-28, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
War Barney
Sergeant Major

EDIT: How does this sound; tanks shooting shells beyond 150m range at infantry shouldn't be able to ohk either, it's unfair cause i didn't see the tank before it killed me. Same goes for that liberator above whos gunner ohk'd me with Dalton.

Retarded.
How about this, people keep on comparing inf snipers to vehicles that you need to spend resources to buy which would seem to be pretty strong proof that they are OP as hell and need fixing?

Retarded
Old 2013-11-28, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
13% sounds low but I've checked against Plaqueis' stats and I'm not a million miles away
Nice work There's probably quite a lot better snipers than i am in game, but i do get nice streaks here and there. My V10 stats probably don't represent the whole picture as it is the bolt-action i started with and it too quite a while to learn the tricks. Parallax and Rams .50 give a better picture, although i've used them much less, Parallax maybe 8 hours, Rams maybe 15.

Parallax 581 firecount, 94 headshots
Rams .50 1420 firecount, 241 headshots

Last edited by Plaqueis; 2013-11-28 at 08:27 AM.
Old 2013-11-28, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
How about this, people keep on comparing inf snipers to vehicles that you need to spend resources to buy which would seem to be pretty strong proof that they are OP as hell and need fixing?

Retarded
Do you think those rifles are free? Not to mention scopes and other optional stuff, then infil certing (ammopacks, mines etc) and so on..

If you mean being able to spawn them, what does that have to do with tanks ability to OHK infantry?

Last edited by Plaqueis; 2013-11-28 at 08:30 AM.
Old 2013-11-28, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Do you think those rifles are free?
Once you buy them for a few certs yes you can use them as much as you like, or has there been a change and it cost you 350 infantry resource to use a sniper rifle with a very long CD?

Seriously you people are trying to say snipers aren't OP as they can be compared to a TANK or LIBERATOR... do you realise how crazy you sound?
Old 2013-11-28, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
Once you buy them for a few certs yes you can use them as much as you like, or has there been a change and it cost you 350 infantry resource to use a sniper rifle with a very long CD?

Seriously you people are trying to say snipers aren't OP as they can be compared to a TANK or LIBERATOR... do you realise how crazy you sound?
Again, what does that have to do with OHK'ing infantry from the rendering range? That's what people are whining about. If a rifle that's designed for exactly that can't do it, then nothing else shouldnt either. No OHKs from tanks or Libs beyond 150 meters, it's unfair cause people can't see them... simple. I didnt even mention that they dont even have to hit, a near miss usually suffices. A sniper has to hit a target few pixels wide in a timewindow of just over a second...

Last edited by Plaqueis; 2013-11-28 at 08:41 AM.
Old 2013-11-28, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Guys who enjoy 'real' sniping (at max range with a bolt-action, not wasting ammo on impossible targets, trying to hold the 1 shot 1 kill policy) are pretty rare i think, i'm certainly 1 of them. If this nerf is applied, it kills a part of the game that i and some others enjoy.
Ditto, that's my playstyle in a nutshell.. Although I do have other cards in my deck, 6/9 auraxium on infiltrator weapons. This change will be worse than the current situation, i would prefer as someone else suggested giving a reinforced helmet which is a trade off to nonoweave/flak which protects against OHK. At least that way it wont completely decimate my play style.
Old 2013-11-28, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Snipefrag View Post
Ditto, that's my playstyle in a nutshell.. Although I do have other cards in my deck, 6/9 auraxium on infiltrator weapons. This change will be worse than the current situation, i would prefer as someone else suggested giving a reinforced helmet which is a trade off to nonoweave/flak which protects against OHK. At least that way it wont completely decimate my play style.
Well, actually that wouldnt help either. Atleast for me roughly 1/4 of the headshots i get currently fail to kill the target. And to continue on that, not one single target that lives after i hit them, stays put and gives me another go. Now, if you think about the upcoming nerf, i will get no kills at all unless i'm closer than 150 meters, and at that point, i'll do well better with an LMG or Carbine than a singleshot rifle.
Old 2013-11-28, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

My outfit doesnt run with Snipers and IMO they bring almost nothing to the game....BUT and its a big one. I still think they should be in the game, I know people really enjoy playing them and I understand that just because I don't think its good/useful doesnt mean other people havent played it in a useful way.

I think the worst thing about this nerf is that (last I checked) Infil snipers have some of the lowest SPM. It is by far the easiest tactic in this game to counter, don't stop moving between buildings, stay indoors where 99% of cap points are OR counter snipe.

Like I said on the official forums and got shot down for it. I get killed by a sniper about once every 4 hours, I've never seen the issue.
Old 2013-11-28, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Obstruction
First Sergeant

it doesn't compare in the least. the many, many ways it does not compare are too numerous and too vast for the scope of this discussion.

please just stop. i am trying to be nice, for the sake of all involved.

thanks.
Old 2013-11-28, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

While I felt that "heads were too big" (likely caused by loose/sloppy hit detection) and were often able to be hit without any real aiming on my part, I never felt the long range OHK was bad in terms game play. Limiting sniper rifles to 150m is crazy, if for no other reason than, why even have rifles at that range? Even an SMG or pistol can hit a person at 150m, while a shotgun with slugs can easily 3 shot at that range.

Does this not remove the utility/purpose of both the long range rifle and the high powered scope? If yes, what is gained in return?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion