The sniper nerf. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Once you're staff, you never go back.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-10-10, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: The sniper nerf.

This subject came up on my outfits forum so I thought I'd come back to chip in once more.

Long story short, it's obvious there are at least just as many people that will complain about sniper haters as there are sniper haters themselves. So why not undo the range nerf and let people play in the style they want instead of forcing people into CQC? Sniping at extreme range takes skill and they do play an importent part on the battlefield at LONG range with BOLTS and short-mid range with semi autos, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND WHICH IS WHAT THIS NERF IS DOING (semi auto is more effective at extreme range due to less recoil and double tapping).

Or, you know, we can always make shotguns cause less damage at close range and more at longer range. Or maybe not have grenades kill people in a blast.

I don't suppose there's been any change at all since then? Do they intend to fix this at all?
Old 2014-10-10, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
This subject came up on my outfits forum so I thought I'd come back to chip in once more.

Long story short, it's obvious there are at least just as many people that will complain about sniper haters as there are sniper haters themselves. So why not undo the range nerf and let people play in the style they want instead of forcing people into CQC? Sniping at extreme range takes skill and they do play an importent part on the battlefield at LONG range with BOLTS and short-mid range with semi autos, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND WHICH IS WHAT THIS NERF IS DOING (semi auto is more effective at extreme range due to less recoil and double tapping).

Or, you know, we can always make shotguns cause less damage at close range and more at longer range. Or maybe not have grenades kill people in a blast.

I don't suppose there's been any change at all since then? Do they intend to fix this at all?
Snipers have been nerfed? They've been buffed early this year to 1-hit head shot any infantry except Max. Or are you referring to the headshot bug?

The effect of the sniper buff has been tremendous since not only it's a farm a machine but it also destroyed the combined arms flow. The old slow-walk toward the enemy base with engineer tank/max support is now prohibitive since the us engineers are getting sniped and the healers resuscitating us are getting sniped too.

One prime example is the bridge section west of Dahaka Amp station.. There used to be a bridge battle all the time there with tanks/sundies/maxes on the bridge. It's no longer doable since support infantry to repair and heal are getting sniped alot. Without support, Tanks/Sunderers and Maxes are easy to wipe.

The only way nowadays is brute force tank spam force multipliers or go around and sneak Sunderers.
Old 2014-10-10, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

How come your snipers aren't killing their snipers?

Wouldn't a true combined-arms assault have all of the classes contributing?
Old 2014-10-12, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
How come your snipers aren't killing their snipers?

Wouldn't a true combined-arms assault have all of the classes contributing?
If you're attacking, the primary thing is to walk and secondary to shoot. That includes Tanks/Sunderers and infantry. Defense will always have the first shot. Only the Magriders (which is essentially a perfect tank devoid of any downside ), are ground units that can effortlessly move/attack at the same time.

If it's a full foot infantry push, which is very rare nowadays (due to its very poor success rate), it gets picked apart by snipers.

If it's Tanks and Sunderer slow push with support, support (engineers) are picked off. Medics trying to revive the engineers get picked off next. Without support, those armor cover is dead. And without armor cover, you revert back the first case.

Hence, what's left is brute force tank/sunderer spam. Sometimes this is accompanied by aircraft, but it's basically that. That's what's been happening since the sniper one-hit headshot buff.

Secondly, if one is to think of balance as rock-paper-scissors with weaknesses and strenghts, a sniper is the only infantry counter to a sniper?
That's like saying a rock is the only counter to a rock.

That is why I always argue that Sniper stealth ability should be removed. There's no reason for a sniper to go close quarters, it can kill effectively at long range. So, what should be their weakness? They should be exposed just like everyone else except infiltrators.

If you match a Heavy assault vs Sniper, at a distance, Sniper will have advantage. At closer range, the Heavy Assault will have the advantage. How many shots can a sniper have at an approaching Heavy Assault before the person dies? On top of that, the Sniper can stealth? It's a very high reward, low risk class, that's why it's very popular, especially among new players.

What's different from the pre-sniper buff? It's not 1-hit shot in the old times. That gives support to take cover or get healed. One-hit and non-one-hit is a huge difference the Devs didn't take into account. Like I've said in my thread, the developers fix things that aren't even broken and break it themselves. http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=58373
Old 2014-10-17, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Snipers are one of the things that really ruins the game, you can't walk outside these days without being sniped and worst of all even if they dont 1 shot you they can 2 shot you or leave you almost dead. And aye its such a pain that you can only kill a sniper with a sniper as trying to reach them will end up with you dead or if you're lucky almost dead with the sniper stealthing off to safety.

The problem is sniping is normally balanced as you have a tiny % of snipers picking off key targets but in ps2 you have 100s of snipers all around fights so you literally can NEVER sit still, which completely destroys the flow of the game as you can't take cover and try to clear out enemies you are forced into pushing non stop as if you sit around in cover you'll just get sniped by 1 of the 100s of snipers trying to farm kills.

I get that people find being a sniper fun, whats not to like about 1 shot kills while being out of danger with a stealth incase anybody spots you? but they really do need to be controlled a bit better so we don't get this mass spam of them that we have now
Old 2014-10-18, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
almalino
First Sergeant

I scare off snipers by switching to 1 shot mode that is very accurate and can kill snipre from 4 shots I think.

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
Snipers are one of the things that really ruins the game, you can't walk outside these days without being sniped and worst of all even if they dont 1 shot you they can 2 shot you or leave you almost dead. And aye its such a pain that you can only kill a sniper with a sniper as trying to reach them will end up with you dead or if you're lucky almost dead with the sniper stealthing off to safety.

The problem is sniping is normally balanced as you have a tiny % of snipers picking off key targets but in ps2 you have 100s of snipers all around fights so you literally can NEVER sit still, which completely destroys the flow of the game as you can't take cover and try to clear out enemies you are forced into pushing non stop as if you sit around in cover you'll just get sniped by 1 of the 100s of snipers trying to farm kills.

I get that people find being a sniper fun, whats not to like about 1 shot kills while being out of danger with a stealth incase anybody spots you? but they really do need to be controlled a bit better so we don't get this mass spam of them that we have now
Old 2014-10-21, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Figment
Lieutenant General

Havn't been playing for a while, but my basic comments about sniping are:

1. shouldn't be cloaked.
2. should be more lethal at range and get disadvantage at shorter ranges (meaning the OP mentioned nerf seems counter intuitive). The longer the range, the harder it is to get a headshot so fair enough.
3. If you want to balance a hard hitting sniper rifle either reduce its clip, ammo or decrease refire rate.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion