SOEside - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: practice safe sex, go screw your self
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-13, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

SOEside

So, we recently have gotten a bit more information about the kind of things we'll be able customize. The quote below in particular caught my attention:

"Tray:We're also doing like, hood ornaments that you can put on your vehicle that will showcase games: Planetside, Free Realms, Everquest, Everquest 2. You know, little characters that you can put on your vehicle."

Really?

Does this mean I might reasonably expect to eventually see things like Froglok Helmets? Oh, or a customization that turns my ATV into a unicorn from Free Realms?! Oh, oh! Or maybe, just maybe, I can buy a customization that lets me plaster video advertisements all over my armor?!

I still remember when advertisements were put into the original Planetside. At least they were pretty much restricted to the bases. It's a pity stuff like this is being put into the game. It's possible to sell customizations without turning this into an MMO version of TF2. Planetside is supposed to be about badass empire vs. empire vs. empire gameplay, not goofy customizations.

Last edited by LostAlgorithm; 2012-05-13 at 01:12 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Re: SOEside

"In debate or rhetoric, a slippery slope (also known as thin end of the wedge - or sometimes "edge" in US English - or the camel's nose) is a classic form of argument, arguably an informal fallacy. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.[1] The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process which leads to the significant effect. The fallacious sense of "slippery slope" is often used synonymously with continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B. Modern usage avoids the fallacy by acknowledging the possibility of this middle ground."
Old 2012-05-13, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Pyreal
First Sergeant

I figure you have to have a current or expired subscription to those games in order to get the bumper sticker.

Don't for an instant think that Higby, Hibgy, Hickie, whats-his-face, and pals ain't looking at the TF2 shop for ideas. Hell, even I bought something from the TF2 shop and I'm a tightwad!
Old 2012-05-13, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
Don't for an instant think that Higby, Hibgy, Hickie, whats-his-face, and pals ain't looking at the TF2 shop for ideas. Hell, even I bought something from the TF2 shop and I'm a tightwad!
I fully realize they probably are, it just disappoints me.

I have no problem with the goofy nonsense in TF2. TF2 was purposely designed to be goofy nonsense. I'd buy goofy stuff in TF2 if I played it more often.

Planetside 2 however took a stylized realism approach and so I feel the goofiness would be a bit out of place and obnoxious.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ringring
Contributor
General

I've got a feeling I won't be buying any of those so I'm not worried at all.

OTOH, what is the naked laydee called on the Roll Royce.. Spirit of something ... maybe
Old 2012-05-13, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
EdLev
Private

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
Does this mean I might reasonably expect to eventually see things like Froglok Helmets? Oh, or a customization that turns my ATV into a unicorn from Free Realms?! Oh, oh! Or maybe, just maybe, I can buy a customization that lets me plaster video advertisements all over my armor?!
Calling this a logical leap of Olympic proportions would be an understatement. Not everything is a slippery slope.

Also, real-world soldiers are known for painting or sticking silly things on their vehicles. I'm not particularly bothered as long as they keep it relatively subtle.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
The Kush
Captain

So, we recently have gotten a bit more information about the kind of things we'll be able customize. The quote below in particular caught my attention:

"Tray:We're also doing like, hood ornaments that you can put on your vehicle that will showcase games: Planetside, Free Realms, Everquest, Everquest 2. You know, little characters that you can put on your vehicle."

Really?

I still remember when advertisements were put into the original Planetside. At least they were pretty much restricted to the bases. It's a pity stuff like this is being put into the game. It's possible to sell customizations without turning this into an MMO version of TF2. Planetside is supposed to be about badass empire vs. empire vs. empire gameplay, not goofy customizations.
Thank you for raising awareness. I already started a thread about that here though:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41196

I forgot about the PS1 advertisements, I really hope they stay away from that in PS2 but hey I guess they got to do what they got to do to keep the game going strong.
Old 2012-05-13, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DarkSkyes
Corporal

Really?

Ok, so lets not make this game free to play with micro transactions and charge $19.95 per month for it. That way we will see the player base drop off in about 12 months and be a dead game within 24 months.

Get real I would rather have 20,000 people playing this game for free and have micro transactions that are NOT compulsory, you have no idea yet as to what transactions will be implemented or how you can display them. Save judgement for beta.
Old 2012-05-13, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Graywolves
General

I don't think Planetside's crowd is really interested in FreeRealms/otherSOE stuff anyways.
Old 2012-05-13, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by DarkSkyes View Post
Ok, so lets not make this game free to play with micro transactions and charge $19.95 per month for it. That way we will see the player base drop off in about 12 months and be a dead game within 24 months.

Get real I would rather have 20,000 people playing this game for free and have micro transactions that are NOT compulsory, you have no idea yet as to what transactions will be implemented or how you can display them. Save judgement for beta.
Where did I say I didn't want micro transactions again? Can you point it out to me?

I just don't want stupid micro transactions, like Free Realms car ornaments. At least that's a small example, but I can guarantee you it won't stop there, and I'm not even talking slippery slope stuff here.
Old 2012-05-13, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by JPalmer View Post
"In debate or rhetoric, a slippery slope (also known as thin end of the wedge - or sometimes "edge" in US English - or the camel's nose) is a classic form of argument, arguably an informal fallacy. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.[1] The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process which leads to the significant effect. The fallacious sense of "slippery slope" is often used synonymously with continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B. Modern usage avoids the fallacy by acknowledging the possibility of this middle ground."
This.

and.

This thread is full of overreactions. You probably missed this. This is the type of hood ornament they are talking about.

Old 2012-05-13, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crazyduckling View Post
This thread is full of overreactions. You probably missed this. This is the type of hood ornament they are talking about.
That's just one example.

I'm curious what we might find out from TB soon. He already mentioned chrome rims and colored headlights as well.

The term he used to describe the amount of customization was that they went "bat****" with it. Whether that means just a lot of really cool customizations or that they seriously went crazy and added a bunch of goofy stuff remains to be seen.
Old 2012-05-13, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
What a travesty. If this is going to be it, then I'd rather pay €12.99/mo., or perhaps a one-time fee to permanently disable ads.
Who said anything about in game ads? They were in PS1. Nothing has ever been mentioned about them being in PS2.
Old 2012-05-13, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Skepsiis
Corporal

If things are subtle like the vanu hood ornament in the picture above then they can go crazy with things like that and it would still be ok imo.

What i dont want to see is really silly stuff that looks completely out of place and doesnt fit in the game like guys running around in clown suits or a reaver that shoots missles that look like flying pigs.

The sort of thing i might buy is priority access for server queues, faster skill leveling, custom outfit logo, or maybe pay towards a vote system for a massive event or new feature/addition (think like a developement sponsorship drive where the thing that recieves the most donations gets implemented from a selection of competing ones). I doubt ill be interested much in cosmetic items unless they really grab me but i can see that a lot of people would be for sure.
Old 2012-05-13, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Are you really so naive to think that they're doing it for any other reason than to advertise their other games?
Hardly likely to be their prime motivation.

Your nit picking something to get offended about. The point is more about whether something fits in to the game or is jarring.

If it fits in with the visuals then there is zero problem here. If by some chance people are curious enough to research what a particular logo was about and find out about one of SOEs other games... where is the harm in that?

EDIT: Having caught up with some of the interview, I see more now where you are coming from. I think it all depends on how stylised the decals they might add are. They could do this right, or they could do it with the pure design goal of being for cross game advertising.

There's a happy middle ground there which I hope they are aiming for. Where as I think you are convinced the worst case is going to happen. Let's wait and see. You say naivety, I say optimism

Last edited by Hermes; 2012-05-13 at 04:38 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion