Customization Woes - Page 20 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Come on you apes! You want to live forever?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #286
Meriv
First Sergeant

Re: Customization Woes

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
I'd love me some purple socks with teal stripes on... proper 'I-mean-business-socks'

But seriously, these things are very subtle... apart from the animal-camo perhaps -.- But I don't think you'll notice it very often while playing... hopefully you'll have other things to think about. And if not... you'll just get angry at the redonkulous helmets people are wearing and shoot at them more effectively.
I think they have made the camo work with the combination of the kill cam, just like a show off. Just few during the video were looking usefull (the only one that i remember is the desert camo for tr max where the beige takes the part of the black in some decent areas and in daylight looked quite usefull) But since most of the players were doing Team Killing or crossing in front of enemies (with the opposite faction not firing) i would be more worried of getting more recognizable in the heat of the battle (like ww1 they used sometimes big glasses/aluminium idk which material attached to their back that would reflect the light soo your frontline would not fire at you, like a car triangle attached to your back) and not getting shoted by my team mate that in an adrenaline rush tought i was some Alien Fan boy.

Last edited by Meriv; 2012-06-13 at 04:40 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #287
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i tought the horns on the characters and stuff were not very noticable while actually playing, they only became really noticable when you got to see who killed you on the deathcam.
Old 2012-06-13, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #288
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
I disagree that it's really effective enough to matter. The forgelight engine is good, but not enough for camo to be that useful, especially when everyone has bright green and red names above their heads.
We only need to hide from the enemies, and they only see red names over our heads when we were already spotted or shot at, so camo wouldn't be as ineffective as you think. Also the engine has nothing to do with it... as a matter of fact, camo would help us hide even if we were playing an 8bit game.

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
People moan on about it all ruining TF2's look but it's FUN!
Who would take a war game seriously if it had a guy in it wearing an alligator hat throwing piss jars at people?
Yeah, TF2 is fun (<3 it btw)... it's also a whole different gaming experience, one that is supposed to be funny.

PS is about faction rivalry fueling endless war, it's not about shits and giggles.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #289
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
We only need to hide from the enemies, and they only see red names over our heads when we were already spotted or shot at, so camo wouldn't be as ineffective as you think. Also the engine has nothing to do with it... as a matter of fact, camo would help us hide even if we were playing an 8bit game.
Wrong. I've played games in the past that supposedly had camo which made you harder to spot, and gave you signifigcant range to fight over, and it didn't help in any noticeable way.

The engine can absolutely influence how easy it is to spot someone with camo. Unless the engine is specifically designed around making camo much harder to spot, it doesn't really help. You're still an obvious blot on a static background. The only camo that works is invisibility like the infiltrators get.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #290
Luieburger
Sergeant

I won't pay a dime for ugly camo coloring. If you want to, I will laugh at you, but that's your choice. Thanks for paying to keep the servers up so I can play for free
Old 2012-06-13, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #291
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
The engine can absolutely influence how easy it is to spot someone with camo. Unless the engine is specifically designed around making camo much harder to spot, it doesn't really help. You're still an obvious blot on a static background.
Alright, i'm no expert on the matter, i accept that some engines might make it easier to spot you even in camo.

However, we shouldn't rule it out as ineffective in a specific game before even seeing it in action (sadly, most gameplay footage we've seen so far was of people in faction colors or zebra camo).

Anyway, in my opinion (no facts here, skip this section if you'd like):

It goes against common sense to believe it's so hard for an engine to work with camo that it has to specifically be designed for it.

The way our eyes and brain work (visible color range, spatial perception, etc) makes us miss stuff that blend in an environment of similar colors/patterns, it's why camo works IRL.
It's also the reason animal camos work on their prey/predator despite the fact they're (ridiculously) visible to us... but i digress.

So it's easier to hide things in those conditions than to accidentally make them stand out. Some games may have failed at it, but nothing currently screams at me that PS2 is that way.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-13 at 09:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #292
Raka Maru
Major

Have any of you noticed the graphic detail in this engine?

Camo, if it's real camo will give you an advantage unless of course, you are already spotted, then you have a big red dot for people to shoot at.

Last edited by Raka Maru; 2012-06-13 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #293
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

There are so many awesomely cool ways to do skins for vehicles. I really hope they limit the silliness to just a couple of designs.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion