SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't let the priest touch you on your way out
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

fucking terrible idea.
(Fire wisenhunt)

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-08-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
It's like getting your wife pregnant, messing up her hot figure.. fucking terrible
idea but it's good for the marriage. Without satisfying the shoutcasters, MLGs,
Youtubers, Twitch streamers, and wannabe pros PS2 will end in divorce.
Does not change that it is a fucking terrible idea. Remember how I said wisenhunt or whatever his name is was a step to doing this? Yeah. I TOLD YOU SO. Imo, fire wisenhunt and can this idea.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

I'm looking forward to eSports in PS2. I suggested fantasy outfit leagues a while back, where players and their in-game achievements are the things that determine the success of the fantasy league "outfit leader" over time.

This also lets participants weigh the odds, trying to support the players in their fantasy outfit so they perform better, getting to know them to know when they are active and when they'll be out for a bit, etc. In this way, the fantasy leagues will be able to let fantasy outfit leaders aid their players and really get to know them, which I think is really neat, though I can see how it could also get kinda creepy... but getting 10000 SC because you are on someone's fantasy team and they wanna help you out isn't a bad thing.

The coolest thing is that fantasy leagues don't have to be SOE-run. With all the stats and metrics available on each character, players and companies will presumably be able to design these as outside third-party leagues.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Are you fucking kidding me?

This really dashes my hopes about the game. Hopefully such kiddie trash will be kept far and away from the fun persistent game itself. But I predict the game will eventually be balanced around it due to the asymmetric exposure that compartment of the game gets, and then PlanetSide will slowly die due to being just another generic esport shooter, and no longer tapping the MMOFPS niche that it currently has a monopoly on.

Why do developers consistently fuck up like this lately? Instead of being innovative and creating new things, they just copy what has good numbers ad nauseam and add a gimmick.

We don't need another CoD or battlefield; we already have those games if we want that kind of experience. We need a planetside.

Last edited by super pretendo; 2012-08-11 at 04:21 PM.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I dont see how WOW areana affected the core game. I didnt do much arena, but I didnt give a crap that others were into it.
Causes balancing around the Arena, cause the eSport players demand it, when the game is supposed to be balanced around so SO SO much more.

PS2 really doesn't feel like an eSports game to me, and I mean that as the HIGHEST compliment.

Eff eSports. Seriously. Burn them all with fire.

They're a cancer to actual gaming.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
adddemon
Corporal

arena fights would be hilarious, it would be entire teams of just maxes and medics.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Boone
Sergeant

I could care less about esports. It's usually a bunch of Koreans huddled up in a room anyway.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I'll be careful with my statements, so:
I'm all for it, but I think having such a thing depends on the success of the game, and if that's ever in the plan, it should be added TO THE PLAN after some time post-release.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Harasus
Sergeant

Having some kind of limited area for smaller combat could work for training and eSports... But I fear it would separate the community. The only reason I would use this would be to train flying, commando strikes, jetpacking around, aiming, bullet drop, teamwork and that kind of stuff before actually joining a server.

I am not sure what they are planning, but they should be careful with this.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Having special, short term for the event, small private servers of restricted zones.....

I could see that.

I just don't want anything eSports to affect the core PS2 game in any way, shape, or form.

If they require any re balancing of units or weapons or bases or anything at all, it should done specifically and only for those small servers
Old 2012-08-11, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

There were eSports in PS1, players would go duel each other on a quiet part of a continent all the time. It just didn't have any official support.

Old 2012-08-11, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Yeah I would like to have some Esports stuff in planetside. Pretty sure planetside would be on a different level then most esport games
Old 2012-08-11, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
super pretendo
First Sergeant

The problem is that if it has support it will crowd out the scope and perception of the game. The fun, emergent and dynamic aspects of the unplanned war (read: the entire game of planetside) will not get the public perception that the run-of-the-mill FPS crap will get. So players will not come for the main planetside game, but for the CoD of Battlefield cut.

EVE online is known for people watching the amazing videos of its battles, and even non players reading about the politics, wars and changes in territory. That's how I came to that game. If I saw EVE videos that were all generic arena battles with wannabe announcers talking over it, I would just close the video and never think about the game again.

It's disenchanting to see such people in this thread that lack this kind of basic scrutiny.

And for anyone thinking that PS2 needs to clone CoD to compete with it, you're silly. PS2 doesn't need to compete with CoD, it just needs to innovate out of the stale CoD formula.
Old 2012-08-11, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
fucking terrible idea.
(Fire wisenhunt)
How?

It will not change vanilla at all.

And it would pull more players in to the game. How do you think all these Outfits will practice Planetside 2? Mo' players. Better game.
Old 2012-08-11, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Read my above post. Especially as a F2P game, XXSUPER MOUNTAIN DEW 420XX esports coverage will crowd out user made games of actually epic emergent battles occurring. The game's focus will creep away following the shift in the perception of planetside.

Maybe SOE having an MMOFPS monopoly is a bad thing, since they may hilariously squander it
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion