News: Some Info about Items from the Shop - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-11, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Some Info about Items from the Shop

Also, that's also where the premium/sub/VIP sorta comes in. Also, I dont see how would they ever buy "everything". Sure, they might buy everything as they come, but they keep releasing new goodies.

If someone truely buys every item, they have already long ago paid their share.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-04-11, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by GhundiPI View Post
While great that the power adding and playstyle items are available for ingame resources (though for the playstyle items it really depends on how high the resource cost is), I'm still very much an opponent to the existence of items like resource/xp boosts. In a game like PS2 players prepared to pay for those (continually) will create an advantage over those who are not. Take for example an outfit of which every member permanently uses resource/xp boosts. This outfit will be ahead on the power curve due to an advantage in their cert diversity (initially though, as this will eventually water down), access to more vehicles (more resources) and power adding items.

Now one can argue that if people are willing to pay for it, they 'deserve' the advantage. But in my opinion it is against the spirit of a game like PS2 where people are meant to be judged on their skill and faction balance can be precarious. Still I could be overreacting so I'll reserve final judgement for release (and after), but I have seen some PvP heavy games where seemingly small purchasable advantages did have a large overall impact.
i haven´t heard any dev talking about ressources being buyable. that was just some stupid idea of someone in the community.(link, or it didn´t happen)
the xp bonus is no problem, because xp doesn´t equal power like in mmo rpgs where a level1 cannot even hit a level 40 char.
and since there are new players coming to the game all the time, there will always be some with more diversity and some newer players with less. so it´s no difference. you know, the other player may have more certs and sidegrades unlocked, but does it matter if he got them from playing longer than you or from buying an xp bonus?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-11, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by GhundiPI View Post
While great that the power adding and playstyle items are available for ingame resources (though for the playstyle items it really depends on how high the resource cost is), I'm still very much an opponent to the existence of items like resource/xp boosts. In a game like PS2 players prepared to pay for those (continually) will create an advantage over those who are not. Take for example an outfit of which every member permanently uses resource/xp boosts. This outfit will be ahead on the power curve due to an advantage in their cert diversity (initially though, as this will eventually water down), access to more vehicles (more resources) and power adding items.
That assumes the existence of a power curve.

As it is, I think pulling vehicles draws from an empire's resources, while personal upgrades, sidegrades, unlocks etc. draw from personal resources?

Still, it seems the basic vehicles/classes will be immediately available, if not very quickly accessible, so assuming the sidegrades are sidegrades and not upgrades, then an XP boost will simply buy them variety, not power.
Old 2012-04-11, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higgles
Power adding items - items such as grandes, med kits, certain types of implants (like a run speed booster), these items fundamentally alter player power and are acquired exclusively with resources earned in game
Nice to see Higgles finally being allowed to start to define what "Cash Store" will actually mean to those of us who really want PS2 to be a blockbuster AAA title but are really worried about SOE and the term "Cash Store" in the same sentence. While we haven't been afforded a real chance to experience how the "Cash Store" mechanic will work in game the Power adding items definition cause me to pause and be concerned.

For clarification does this mean while we can earn resources in game for capture and control, some of those items the resources unlock for use can only be obtained through purchase in the "cash store"? I personally hope that if this is a true statement and some "Power adding items" will only be available via R/L cash purchase that SOE can avoid the slippery slope of this being the 800lb Gorilla we have been talking about and Higby has professed won't be a "Pay for Power" scenario.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one and wait to see what actually transpires in beta before I really pass much more judgement on this issue.
Old 2012-04-11, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Tasorin View Post

For clarification does this mean while we can earn resources in game for capture and control, some of those items the resources unlock for use can only be obtained through purchase in the "cash store"? I personally hope that if this is a true statement and some "Power adding items" will only be available via R/L cash purchase that SOE can avoid the slippery slope of this being the 800lb Gorilla we have been talking about and Higby has professed won't be a "Pay for Power" scenario.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one and wait to see what actually transpires in beta before I really pass much more judgement on this issue.
i saaume it will be like in star trek online. there will be an ingame store. and all the sidegrades, etc. will be handled in this store. you can get power items only by paying with ingame ressources, sidegrades for ingame ressources or station cash, and cosmetics only with ststion cash.

there will be no other ingame window where you only use ressources as a seperate system

in the gdc footage is a view of this store. although it´s filled with placeholder weapons of all factions in this video, you can clearly see that each item has 2 pricetacks. so one will represent ingame ressources, and the other price is the cash alternative

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-04-11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 2012-04-11, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i saaume it will be like in star trek online.[...]
I hope not, seeing you have some items in the cashstore, namely ships, that give you quite an advantage.
Old 2012-04-11, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
I hope not, seeing you have some items in the cashstore, namely ships, that give you quite an advantage.
man i wasn´t referring to the items in the sto shop, but the fact you use one and the same shop system to get your ingame-earned stuff and the cash-stuff, and that there are only different currencys to get the stuff. in our case auraxium and station cash.

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-04-11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 2012-04-11, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Destroyeron
Troll x2

I'm glad that non-gameplay items will still be available for unlock with in-game resources.
Old 2012-04-11, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Destroyeron View Post
I'm glad that non-gameplay items will still be available for unlock with in-game resources.
hm?
cosmetic stuff will be station cash only (only achivable with real money)
after all, they want to make some money.

Old 2012-04-11, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Folly
Private

What I am reading here:

Power adding items - these items alter player power and are acquired with resources

Non-gameplay affecting items - resource boosts, are available for Cash
So, Power = Resources = Cash
I think we just crossed a very significant line.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Folly View Post
What I am reading here:
Edit: Never mind, just caught the "resource boost" bought by cash part.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-04-11 at 05:24 PM.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Zulthus
Colonel

What I am reading here:

Nice catch... that sure does make me wonder.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Xyntech
Brigadier General

What I am reading here:

Certainly the biggest risk of "buying power" we have officially seen, but it really depends on how resources work, what kind or resources can be boosted, etc.

If you can collect a huge pool of resources while offline and use it to spam grenades, you've just bought a substantial amount of power. If you can gain a small boost to your resources that will quickly disappear if your empire doesn't have access to that type or resource, you've bought a small advantage that will probably amount to little more than the advantage of getting a sidegrade weapon slightly quicker with cash than earning it in game.

Still, one way or another, it does seem to be buying power. Hopefully it gets change, clarified or ends up being inconsequential.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Bags
Lieutenant General

What I am reading here:

This is exactly how it works in league of legends, and league works fine in that regard.

Cash = IP boost = runes / champions.
Old 2012-04-11, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
This is exactly how it works in league of legends, and league works fine in that regard.

Cash = IP boost = runes / champions.
Wouldn't using boosted in game resources to buy things like grenades be more analogous to buying upgrade items with earned gold in the middle of a match in LoL?

*sigh*

Beta can't come soon enough so that we can just see the stuff in action and comment from experience. The devs seem receptive enough to community concerns and making important changes.

All the more reason to just work with what info we have in the meanwhile and not flip out too bad until we get hands on or hear something truly fucked up.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion