SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How do I submit a Quote?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

@Sigh: It wouldn't split the playerbase if they did it like EVE. There's groups that plan and train and even spy like bastards all while still doing their regular gaming. It's a whole separate thing that takes up a bit of a small percentage of the game's time every few months (6?) all while providing some flashy PR.

Also, your name is awesome.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
Sighpolice
Corporal

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
@Sigh: It wouldn't split the playerbase if they did it like EVE. There's groups that plan and train and even spy like bastards all while still doing their regular gaming. It's a whole separate thing that takes up a bit of a small percentage of the game's time every few months (6?) all while providing some flashy PR.
I guess, like I said it's a fine line to be walking. If it's done so that it's not a separate continent, and it's the first outfit to 5000 kills or some other objective every 6 months like you say, that would be pretty cool yeah. Spying could take infiltrator certs etc. but that is just wild imagination

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
Also, your name is awesome.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Tikuto
Major

a variation of PS2 eSport for Commanders:
(http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...395#post621395)
Supreme Commander Live Game Event: A key unique new thing that involves whole world regions and players simultaneously. A preluding regional tournament to reveal some of PlanetSide2's world's best commanders. These Supreme Commanders e.g. three (TR, NC & VS) attend the Event as V.I.Ps., and attend their live-game 'supreme commander' event competing over one continent involving and subjecting every player to their strategies, almost, as they will have special contemporary Event-related Supreme Commander abilities:
  • an Imperial Mothership (one each Empire through-out whole Event).
  • summon BFRs (limited) for home-based regular players.
  • an Inspirational Presence (auto-buff chain-linked friendlies).
  • Unique in-game Battle Suit.
  • summon Unique territorial buildings.
  • other super-amazing powers...
This 'sports' event would identify the game's popularity as well as showcase some extraordinary moments of the players and the 'supreme commander' event itself. An event to promote popularity, in-game experience for those who are destined to become ... the Supreme Commander of their Empire! And possibly even promote sales and the Fan Faire as well as attract PlanetSide2 to venues around the world, maybe! At the same time treating the whole player-base within their homes around the world with live-game Event contents! Everyone would be loving it especially your Supreme Commander!

The 'big screen' live-game client will be specially made for showcasing this Live Game Event. Camera-panning, freely moving and viewing whole continent, territorial map and Supreme Commander's unique content, actions and inventory. Commentators may be necessary.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2012-08-12, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
ThGlump
Captain

Its stupid but esport will happen. Once PS2 is released, there will be a lot more players from other games, than PS1 ever had. And they will like esport. They are used to that style, and they would want it here too. Our negative voice will be minority and ignored.
We had something like esport in PS1 too (outfit wars) and it was stupidest idea ever, but it will happen in PS2 too. Majority of players will demand it.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Its stupid but esport will happen. Once PS2 is released, there will be a lot more players from other games, than PS1 ever had. And they will like esport. They are used to that style, and they would want it here too. Our negative voice will be minority and ignored.
We had something like esport in PS1 too (outfit wars) and it was stupidest idea ever, but it will happen in PS2 too. Majority of players will demand it.
That is a really bad argument IMO. If I play golf and then decide to pickup bowling instead. Do I start to demand that they will change the rules of bowling so it would be more like golf? No I would not. If I changed my game from golf to bowling I would do that because bowling as it was played before I started to play it was what I wanted to play. If I would have liked golf more then bowling I would have continued playing golf.

Just because there are players that never have played PS1 does not mean that PS2 should become a different game because of that.

And I think non of us here think that e-sports in it self is a bad idea. We just think that changing the game so e-sports would fit into it would ruin the entire concept of Planetside.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-12 at 08:17 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
SeanNewBoy
Corporal

Sure, never been dork of the week but im sure i can muster up the bad records.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
Goblin
Private

Hell YES to esports.

It's just a chance for smaller outfits to fight eachother without outside influences. And hopefully with some kind of reward.

I can't see it affecting someone who does not participate all.

Exept of course for those occasions that onle little squad of competitive players decides to play some vanilla ps2 and repeatedly mass murders your whole outfit while drinking your delicious tears.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Infektion
Sergeant Major

This is a HORRIBLE idea if it is constant... That being said, maybe once a month SCHEDULED daily events is OK. If this is a glorified "battlegrounds" or "scenario", then the game WILL suffer, and you can take that to the bank. Someone needs to smack Smeeds in the face.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Anyone who plays EVE Online and watches the Alliance Tournaments should have a pretty good idea of what Esports could look like in PlanetSide. It allows competitive players an opportunity to compete in a tournament that matters (prizes and awards!), allows interested players to watch streaming matches for the sake of entertainment and self-improvement, and allows uninterested players to not give a flying fuck and not really be affected in any way.

If PS2 follows a similar route, it shouldn't be a problem.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-08-12 at 08:48 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
That is a really bad argument IMO. If I play golf and then decide to pickup bowling instead. Do I start to demand that they will change the rules of bowling so it would be more like golf? No I would not. If I changed my game from golf to bowling I would do that because bowling as it was played before I started to play it was what I wanted to play. If I would have liked golf more then bowling I would have continued playing golf.
You picked sports that are far away from similar. From golf you should switch to minigolf, but its really more like going from one car racing to another car racing. something that has similar or almost same base mechanics. You can switch because you like new one better, but you will still miss something you were used to. And if enough new players will miss that too, they could change it.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
you are thinking way too narrowly IMO. How many of you watch anything on Twitch TV? I do. I don't play Starcraft II but I watch the hell out of it. It is gradually taking on a lot of the time I used to spend watching TV (which isn't a ton anyways since I spend most of my free time gaming).

Do not think of an Esport the way they exist now. Planetside 2 will not fit into that square hole. However imagine a 500 person outfit fighting another 500 person outfit with cameras posted (time delayed) at a bunch of locations around the world and spectators able to follow people around the map at various locations. Imagine really good Casters following the best players on each side (maybe it's even all 3 empires fighting). Imagine a Season where we allow outfits to register (with requirements about size, etc) and be tracked during that season on a huge number of stats.

There are 2 ways of looking at Esports. One way is literally as pure competition. Another is looking at it as really well done Television. Instead of watching Survivor wouldn't you rather watch an hour long battle casted by really good shoutcasters and follow some of the best players in the game?

Esports is a lot more than simple arena matches. It's really becoming about watching other people game. Those of you that think this idea is stupid.. I was one of you. Now I'm hooked. Give it a try.. you will be too.

We have made the decision to innovate in a major way in Esports. It's not going to be the primary focus and driver of Planetside 2.. but we are adding technology that is already in the game and working that will allow you to cast directly from Planetside 2 without the need for external clients. At some point real soon you will even be able to follow your outfit mates from your ipad or iPhone as they pull of a Bin Laden style raid on some base and you'r going to be able to watch them. And guess what. Down the line (not at launch). If you have the right certs. You'll be able to do some drone action yourself.

Please keep an open mind. We aren't going to change what's at the heart of Planetside 2 to try and shove it into being an arena based shooter. That ain't happening.
Are we mindlinked somehow? Because this sort of thing was something War Machine was planning to do when we launched our network broadcasting station.

Old 2012-08-12, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
It's just a chance for smaller outfits to fight eachother without outside influences. And hopefully with some kind of reward.

I can't see it affecting someone who does not participate all.
Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
It allows competitive players an opportunity to compete in a tournament that matters (prizes and awards!), allows interested players to watch streaming matches for the sake of entertainment and self-improvement, and allows uninterested players to not give a flying fuck and not really be affected in any way.
Oh it will affect those who dont want to participate. It will affect them in the same way how PS1 died. By taking away enemies to shoot at.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
Goblin
Private

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
That is a really bad argument IMO. If I play golf and then decide to pickup bowling instead. Do I start to demand that they will change the rules of bowling so it would be more like golf? No I would not. If I changed my game from golf to bowling I would do that because bowling as it was played before I started to play it was what I wanted to play.
Actually, yours is the bad argument.

A game is a product. Sports are not. Companies want to incorporate features into new products that people want. A better comparison would be a new car model having the latest aribag technology even though some people dislike airbags. Imagine that the entire car is free and the airbag is optional to install.
Can you think of a reason someone would be offended by this? What would the reasons be for that? I can think of a couple:

1. They are afraid of the notion of the airbag, even though it's optional.
2. They are ignorant about the whole matter and don't wish to be reasonable.
3. They have an arrogant sense of entitlement.

(Moderator Note: The above is not an insult to anyone in the forums, but answers to the hypothetical scenario above it.)

I personally feel that the devs adding support for a feature that is not forced down anyones throats isn't really somthing we should be bitching about at this point.

Last edited by Goblin; 2012-08-12 at 09:12 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
Ditto!

Watch what T-Ray says at 3:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvoaHWsO34c
Wow. That was T-Ray responding to my question 8 years ago. Yes, that skinny guy with the lame hair and scraggly goatee that yammered on endlessly starting at 2:15 into the video was me when I was 20. A lot has changed since then. Man, I'm embarrassed to watch myself!

Funny, this is the video I mentioned yesterday evening in a post to Smed about how I thought some ideas for PS2 were so great back in the day that became complete failures.

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
I could link a video of myself back in 2004 excitedly asking questions of T-Ray, CriticalMass, and Fisa about upcoming PS1 features (during PSUMA in Orlando, FL). Some of the ideas seemed so great at the time, but ultimately sent PS1 into a tailspin. Hopefully we can avoid that this time around.

TL;DR - Be gentle with us Smed... we gamers are delicate and fickle creatures.
Smed responded and pointed out that his presence is an indicator of how serious they are about addressing my concern:

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
I should point out the simple fact that I'm having this discussion before the game even launches and in my blog I specifically noted that we plan on releasing the 3 year plan and taking player feedback. We've learned our lessons.
Interesting how T-Ray's statement 8 years ago applies to this discussion. Sometimes they don't think of things during development that make sense later. And here they are, throwing ideas around with us during closed beta for the sequel, and we're jumping down their throats for it...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-08-12 at 09:07 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Goblin
Private

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Oh it will affect those who dont want to participate. It will affect them in the same way how PS1 died. By taking away enemies to shoot at.
Vanu Infiltrator: I was gonna stab you dude but it looks like we're alone on the server.
TR medic: Yeah, looks like everyone is off playing that DAMNED ESPORTS!

Yup, totally sure that's gonna happen.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion