Phoenix and the striker needs upgrades - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Even Ray Charles could see it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-18, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Phoenix and the striker needs upgrades

The Phoenix and the striker needs upgrades, some of which are from 10 years ago from PS1 and simply makes no sense why they are missing. Others as in the case of the Phoenix needs to be returned as it was when it first came out in PS2 minus the OSK. The Phoenix is underpowered in multiple ways making it the most under used AV in the game currently.

Phoenix needed upgrades
1. Full screen field of view, the current FOV is to small making it very difficult to hit small or fast moving vehicles.

2. Return of the dumb fire mode like it had in PS1 and the NC CROW has and the TR/VS equivalent, there for making it not totally useless in close range.

3. Return of the airburst ability like it had in PS1 (allows you to prematurely blow up the missile in mid flight allowing it to do low splash damage to near by targets. This allows you to do some damage to a target as you miss it so often being the phoenix is a hard weapon to be accurate with and ever harder in PS2 then it was in PS1.

4. Return of the missile speed boost ability it originally had when the phoenix came out in PS2. The current missile speed is almost to fast to be able to control it but with out the speed boost ability vehicles such as the harasser, flash, and even the lighting can simply outrun it. And not to mention how easy fighters can simply strafe 2 feet to the right or left in hover and dodge it. The return of speed boost would fix all this.

Striker needed upgrades
1. Return of dumb fire mode like it had in PS1 and the other TR/VS/NC lock on launcher has, again there for making it not almost totally useless for close range.

2. Return of the ability to lock on turrets like in PS1, both base turrets and Engineer turrets.

Last edited by Livefire; 2013-07-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 2013-07-18, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Phoenix and the striker needs upgrades

I can see why you'd want these additions, trust me I wish my Striker still had dumb fire mode and could lock onto MAXes as well, but I think in the interest of balance and scale we won't be seeing the dumbfire return.
I don't see why the FOV and premature ejactuplosion can't be added to the Phoenix though.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-07-18, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

I haven't purchased either of these weapons. I survive on the standard dumb fire AV for close to medium range (cause it causes the most damage and has a more suitable viewing scope for quick shooting) and the lock on AV for longer range engagements.

I did get nailed by a Striker the other day though. Man, when that thing hits it takes you out pretty quick!

Last edited by Crator; 2013-07-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 2013-07-18, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
I can see why you'd want these additions, trust me I wish my Striker still had dumb fire mode and could lock onto MAXes as well, but I think in the interest of balance and scale we won't be seeing the dumbfire return.
I don't see why the FOV and premature ejactuplosion can't be added to the Phoenix though.
Balance has nothing to do with this matter, how would having a dumbfire mode effect balance at all with the phoenix or the striker? The NC CROW and the TR/VS equivalent has dumb fire and lock on modes and is even an OSK RL to infantry..... The phoenix and the striker are simply missing these very important features which actually make them useful to carry in place of the standard RL's for the NC/TR.

Last edited by Livefire; 2013-07-18 at 07:40 PM.
Old 2013-07-18, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Artimus
Master Sergeant

I use the phoenix basically as my default rocket launcher. Personally I love it the way it is. Not too powerful but very situational. As long as I can hit prowlers and mag's from behind cover im sasitified. Shooting down air is incredibly challenging but not impossible. Was not really made to shoot at infantry but I would suggest it to have a buff against Max's somehow. As far as the Striker goes I don't play TR so I can't say to much but I do see it clip through mountians from time to time which is really annoying.
Old 2013-07-18, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NUKABAZOOKA
Sergeant

Why was the Lancer not included?
Old 2013-07-18, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Adding dumbfire to the striker, at least, would ensure that just about every single TR always carries it. This would in turn increase the 'visibility' of lockon squads in that you'd see them in even more places than they already are.
In effect this would turn the Striker into a straight upgrade rather than a situational sidegrade option.
I can only imagine the same would be said for the phoenix. You would start to see them everywhere and again, they would act as a direct upgrade over the standard rocket launcher instead of a situational sidegrade.
That is my understanding of why the weapons were added without dumbfire in the first place. The SKEP, for example, has both ground vehicle lockon and dumbfire whereas the striker can (and will) lock onto anything. The phoenix, while not as agile as it's former incarnation, would still offer the added benefit of rocket launcher sniping while having little to no drawbacks (other than the obvious 'infil knife to the back of the head').

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-07-18, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I'd expand the range by 50m (to 350) and give it the slightest dmg buff vs. armor.

Otherwise, the Phoenix is fine and vastly underused by NC on my server. There's no better rocket for large-scale battles.
Old 2013-07-19, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

No dumbfire for Striker or Annihilator please. The lack of dumb-fire makes no sense but for balancing, since having three options (air, ground, and dumb-fire) would make the launcher great in too many situations.

Annihilator could use a damage buff though, just saying. I remember seeing how it did less damage than all other rocket launchers... which, for a dedicated Anti-vehicle weapon, is pretty effing terrible (since its velocity is also average).
Old 2013-07-20, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Yes... Give my striker dumbfire...

Old 2013-07-20, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
Balance has nothing to do with this matter, how would having a dumbfire mode effect balance at all with the phoenix or the striker? The NC CROW and the TR/VS equivalent has dumb fire and lock on modes and is even an OSK RL to infantry..... The phoenix and the striker are simply missing these very important features which actually make them useful to carry in place of the standard RL's for the NC/TR.
They are suppose to be relatively side grades, not strait up clear cut upgrades. Not that it wouldn't be nice but there would be no reason to use any other launcher in the game.
Old 2013-07-20, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I absolutely love the striker. Talk about dominating air and land vehicles in a 1 km radius. The strike is a great launcher and doesnt need a buff.

The phoenix on the other hand needs some buffs. It needs to fly slower with a wider view and then have a boost when you are ready to hit a target.
Old 2013-07-20, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

You want to make the already overpowered striker stronger? Someone slap this fool. The pheonix is a poor excuse for an AV weapon.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-07-21, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
GraniteRok
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

For the Striker, equality in versatility with the other ESRL's is what we're asking for in having the capability to fire on turrets, Maxes/Infantry and vehicles. Dumbfire seems to be the logical method to do this.
Old 2013-07-21, 06:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
typhaon
Sergeant Major

But if it's equally versatile - then it's obviously more powerful overall.

I think the idea of sidegrades is that all the weapons would have at least some reasonable situations where they would be the best choice.

Add on dumbfire to the Striker and you can pretty much eliminate any need for TR to ever use Crow/Hawk/Annihilator.

One of the reasons I think the Phoenix only needs the most minor of adjustments is that I actually find myself switching between the Decimator, Phoenix, Crow, Hawk, and even Shrike missiles on a pretty regular basis - as situations dictate.

It feels like it has a well-defined fit.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion