Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you like ....... Pie?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-04-20, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
Hotohori
Private

Re: Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay

I wont be surprised if they had most of it planned out and done engine wise an then they saw how....; let say Battlefield 3 graphics were all polished and stuff and they decided to polish the game with a better engine to make it compete with similar brand names as the one I just mentioned.

Warhammer online failed pretty bad graphic wise, mainly cause of there engine, for me, even though they tried polishing it more it still felt clunky an it was unacceptable, taking on account the date that it was release and compared to the smoothness that older games had, it just didnt make sense; plus the obvious reason of the game-play never getting to a daoc potential.

Staying on the engine delay topic, I think it is important for Planetside Next to nail the smooth graphic feel as much as possible. I am willing to wait for it cause its not acceptable to have a clunky feeling game with poor limited graphics; I understand the most important part of the game is the gameplay but the designing team needs to take advantage of all the new technology to make the game go beyond the limit an let the people know that it is a game that was released that year graphic wise, and have the video /audio options of the game to let the player take it to the next level on realism and let the player know that this is a new game; A feel of "this is the new visual technology I expect from a game thats being released 2011-2013." An I think thats what the Planetside team is going for and for that I say they should take there time and deliver something special.

I wont be suprised if Blizzard's titan (secret mmo) will be a fps an there will be a big possibility that it may compete with Planetside next , so in my opinion sony needs to take out there secret special guns an better deliver the best of the best in this new coming planet-side next.

Last edited by Hotohori; 2011-04-20 at 05:56 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 2011-04-21, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #212
Joanic Sicos
Private

Originally Posted by Hotohori View Post
A feel of "this is the new visual technology I expect from a game thats being released 2011-2013."
There needs to be a fine balance to this though - Planetside Next will never look as pretty as BF3 or any newer game being release 2011-2013 due to the concept of it.

I'd much rather have a game that looks okay (but not OMG AMAZING!!WTF!!BBQ!) but excellently well in big fights. I'd much rather the time be spent on increasing the continent cap from 450 to say 900. When you think about all the action on the screen, would you rather be watching a pretty slide show or kicking ass and taking names? I know which I'd prefer...

Don't get me wrong, if they can do both, then I have no doubt my life will be ruined, but out of the two, then graphics can (as we say in Scotland) "Get tae fook"

EDIT - Buggered up the quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
mrarwood
Private

i wish it would just hurry up and get released so i can play it!
Old 2011-04-23, 03:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #214
TRex
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Joanic Sicos View Post
There needs to be a fine balance to this though - Planetside Next will never look as pretty as BF3 or any newer game being release 2011-2013 due to the concept of it.

I'd much rather have a game that looks okay (but not OMG AMAZING!!WTF!!BBQ!) but excellently well in big fights. I'd much rather the time be spent on increasing the continent cap from 450 to say 900. When you think about all the action on the screen, would you rather be watching a pretty slide show or kicking ass and taking names? I know which I'd prefer...

Don't get me wrong, if they can do both, then I have no doubt my life will be ruined, but out of the two, then graphics can (as we say in Scotland) "Get tae fook"

EDIT - Buggered up the quote
I agree on this point . I really hope there is enough 'tweakability' of the graphics so that , if you have the rig , you can have amazing graphics . But ,likewise, a game like planetside relies on numbers to be an amazing game . There's a good reason world of warcraft is so popular : anybody and their old granny can play it on their crappyest laptop. I dont ever expect planetside to have the same kind of subs , but I hope its user friendly enough that you dont have to have any kind of super crossfire rig to have even a decent fight.
Old 2011-04-23, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #215
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
I agree on this point . I really hope there is enough 'tweakability' of the graphics so that , if you have the rig , you can have amazing graphics . But ,likewise, a game like planetside relies on numbers to be an amazing game . There's a good reason world of warcraft is so popular : anybody and their old granny can play it on their crappyest laptop. I dont ever expect planetside to have the same kind of subs , but I hope its user friendly enough that you dont have to have any kind of super crossfire rig to have even a decent fight.
hmmm well. WoW is 6-7 years old now. Back when it was released it needed a decent computer. Nothing special, but decent. I don't think your granny's laptop could've ran it back then. And I don't think that's a major reason it became so popular either

But I do agree PS needs to be scalable so a lot of people can play it without needing a ton of upgrades
Old 2011-04-23, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
hmmm well. WoW is 6-7 years old now. Back when it was released it needed a decent computer. Nothing special, but decent. I don't think your granny's laptop could've ran it back then. And I don't think that's a major reason it became so popular either

But I do agree PS needs to be scalable so a lot of people can play it without needing a ton of upgrades

Nah I had a crappy integrated card an it still ran WoW fine way back then except for some stuttering in the cities. They actually updated WoW graphics some over the years slightly. Blizzard just doesn't make games that demand much of your hardware. I mean look at Diablo 3. It looks like a PSP game to me.

But yeah hopefully SOE learned from the original Planetside an will work harder to optimize an make the game perform well in big battles. Making a game look good without actually using more hardware is an art form an hopefully they are good at it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion