Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2 - Page 28 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Make love not war. Well maybe a little.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-04, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #406
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
No it didn't. Lattice and most other aspects were in place in beta or shortly after.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=46776
Aye almost everything in the current PlanetSide game was done within the first what, 3-4 years or so? After that it was just random stuff and christmas presents on the ground.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-04, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #407
Malacovics
Private

My whole outfit has 32 members, about 15-20 actively.
We focus on Esamir, on Cobalt (EU)...
I know the pain you feel man..

We can only pretty much solo regions again and again, and then accidentaly hop into another Air zerg, existing of 20 fighters that rapes us, or we randomly bump into 15 prowlers...

Being part of a small outfit isnt fun and neither worth it both time and XP wise in the current state of the game.
Old 2013-01-04, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #408
Archonzero
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I wish people would stop saying that. Yes, PS1 existed for 10 years. Doesn't mean they spent working on the game all those years. And in fact they didn't.

Yea poorly quoted quote on my part, it was 6am in the morning an I had been up for almost 24 hours, brain wasn't fully oxygenated. I meant 8-10 years of running, with the 3-4 years of actual game dev content. The lattice system was not up during beta it took a while before implementation, somewhere during the first year after launch, even then still had plenty of tweaking an fixes after.

Still PS1 had a metagame, with clear idea of reward/structure ability for commanders, not simply just the mantle to whomever decided to bark the orders an spent 100 certs to use /order. They had additional tools to mark + draw on the map for all the faction to read, communicate in a separate channel, as well had skills an functions with the CT to affect the actual battlefield.

Reading the map could give anyone an idea of how the battlers were going, hotspot battle markers turned up relatively quick an updated themselves fairly soon if things rapidly changed. You could tell how much of a base was compromised by looking at the map, you could see the outlying facilities (ie towers) that were under enemy control, all the way from the sanctuaries.

This game is completely new-player unfriendly. Pick your faction, get a brief debriefing then pretty much instant action right into a meatgrinder battle. You don't drop down on friendly lines, just right into the meatgrinder, no idea of what does what, no class selection, no loadout review, no keybind setups. Simply thrown to the wolves. I have had many fellow gamers, first time planetside/fps players that have downloaded the game at my word of it being a great game, only to never bothered with the title again after that first experience. It strikes me the only ones who manage to stick with it, are players who have a friend waiting in game for them to act as a mentor/guide, experienced FPS twitch players that can adapt quickly to the environment. Even then, I've still had 4 fps experienced friends never look back to this title, due to a clear lack of game direction, information, customization, or variety.

Last edited by Archonzero; 2013-01-12 at 10:36 PM.
Old 2013-01-05, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #409
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

Hey Hamma, after watching your video and then later reading BuzzCut's big post, I decided to put together a list of fixes that I'd like to see implemented. Many of which directly address the concerns you both raised.

I'd appreciate it if you'd read it over and let me know what you think. Here's the link.

That also goes for everybody who sees this. When I first posted it sank like a stone so I'm trying to get some feedback going on it.
Old 2013-01-05, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #410
FireWater
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Well we were getting attacked by Let the Brit Drop and DVS last night, we managed to hold a lot of the continent, and was able to counter cap after they lost a lot of assests.

Engineer for NUC's Alpha Squad http://www.nucgaming.com
Old 2013-01-05, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #411
Blynd
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
Hey Hamma, after watching your video and then later reading BuzzCut's big post, I decided to put together a list of fixes that I'd like to see implemented. Many of which directly address the concerns you both raised.

I'd appreciate it if you'd read it over and let me know what you think. Here's the link.

That also goes for everybody who sees this. When I first posted it sank like a stone so I'm trying to get some feedback going on it.
read it and liked it infact tbh i think the base changes would be perfect to give people the incentive and the ability to put up a decent defense.

/+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0
Old 2013-01-05, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #412
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

The Guard is in a bad place atm. Not my place to say how bad or anything, but this situation with the game cannot persist and something must budge, or small tactical outfits that pride ourselves on personal skills and group tactics over large numbers will slowly, but most certainly cease to exist.

This is as close to an ultimatum as I ever want to make, but it needs to be said:

Higby, Clegger and those that ran with us, do something... anything that shows us you're not putting a knife in our back. We showed you our tactics, we had you on comms with us, in squad with us and in our outfit in beta. You know how important personal skill is to us, and this situation just smacks of using all of that against small outfits like ours. Now, more than ever, prove to me that I'm wrong.

Dont give me a reason to say I told you so. I voiced displeasure when it was mentioned any of you joined our outfit. Was I right? Did we make a mistake with that?

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-01-05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2013-01-05, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #413
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Archonzero View Post
This game is completely new-player unfriendly. Pick your faction, get a brief debriefing then pretty much instant action right into a meatgrinder battle. You don't drop down on friendly lines, just right into the meatgrinder, no idea of what does what, no class selection, no loadout review, no keybind setups. Simply thrown to the wolves. I have had many fellow gamers, first time planetside/fps players that have downloaded the game at my word of it being a great game, only to never bothered with the title again after that first experience. It strikes me the only ones who manage to stick with it, are players who have a friend waiting in game for them to act as a mentor/guide, experienced FPS twitch players that can adapt quickly to the environment. Even then, I've still had 4 fps experienced friends never look back to this title, due to a clear lack of game direction, information, customization, or variety.
Let's be fair though. PS1 didn't have a great tutorial system when it first came out either. I'm hoping that is something devs are actively working on with PS2. At least the delivery system for it. They put together the new player experience pretty quick in PS2 (we didn't see it throughout beta). But I do agree, it's not good to have these bad new-player experience as they don't help hook players into the game. PS1 had the same issues.
Old 2013-01-06, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #414
Wandering Mania
Private

One major problem with the game in a whole not just outfit size. Is that in PS1 most of all the bigger bases where in enclosed arieas that forced people out of there tanks/aircraft. The it was hallway defence/potrolls. I miss those most of all because some of those hallway fights where some of the best fights ever in the entire history of planetside. The PS2 bases all of them are way to open and every spawn room is spamable by aircraft/tanks. At least in PS1 people would either kill the Spawn Tubes or kill the base genarator to stop the spawning there. Shure some on the new bases have the SCU but on the smaller outposts there is a masive spawn camp every time.
Old 2013-01-06, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #415
Archonzero
Sergeant

Stumbled across this Alpha footage of base layout/design?
Old 2013-01-07, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #416
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Posted this in my own thread, but it sank like a stone. In hindsight, my post probably came off as a little bit hostile...

In any case, the issue I see regarding large outfits and/or Zergs is the resources they can bring to the table.

Resources are tied to individuals and not to territory. Sure, you get resource bonuses for having more territory, but think about it...

It IS possible for a faction to have NO territory on a continent, but produce more resources than a faction that controls all the territory, simply by having more population. That and the Warpgate gives you access to everything. So a zerg can form at the warp gate, load up on force multipliers (vehicles, etc...) and begin the crawl across the map.

As far as I can see from playing, the devs could make a new map that has 3 warpgates and just provide interesting terrain for the 3 factions to battle in. To me the current territory has that much significance...

The only real advantage that I can see for the current facilities, is having a spawn point for vehicles that is closer to the front lines, so one doesn't have to drive all the way from the Warpgate.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion