News: Roadmap Resource Revamp & Continental Lattice Updated - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Caution: Vanguard on Duty
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-08-05, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #151
Starstriker
Private

Re: Roadmap Resource Revamp & Continental Lattice Updated

Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post
If Malorn/Kev-mo/Art team use this option please for all love of god just use the chassis as a start point however a complete unique back end; (i.e you equip the module it looks significantly aesthetically different to just adding a little cone and a couple of glow effects). While giving it downsides and compromises like not being able to transport a full complement of troops (think along an armored bank van line of a plus 1 - 3 etc.) - just something to break the "jack of all trades - it looks the same as everything else" monotonous tone.
I kinda like this option as a compromise from a production standpoint (with the obvious caveat that, as a player and not a member of the dev team, I know just next to squat about the Planetside 2 vehicle pipeline, and thus have no business commenting on production issues :P). Reskinning the Sunderer with a new model, but keeping the overall rig, sound design and vehicle physics, bypasses some (though not all) of the major development costs, but still allows some important tweaks, like giving it a visibly different silhouette or removing troop capacity/combat effectiveness.

Even so, I could hardly blame them if they decided not to. A new vehicle (even a reskin) is still an order of magnitude more work and requires more developers from different disciplines. Still, if they decided to go the extra mile here it'd definitely be noticed and appreciated! I think there's a LOT of interesting things you could do with a new vehicle for ANT, like expanding their capabilities later on to having optional modules that do things like distribute resources to people instead of bases, or convert them into a temporary battlefield advantage like a cloak or shield, but even without that kind of "I want a pony" wishlist, just providing the ANT with a unique silhouette that can be identified at long range would be super helpful for conveying gameplay information.

Last edited by Starstriker; 2013-08-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 2013-08-06, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Qwan
Captain

I like the set up so far, even the resources usage in the form of pay as you use. I think the warp gate link should be neutral ( minus the home warp gates ) like in PS1. If you owned the base connected to the warpgate this will give you the link needed to start a hack on the next continent. The warp gate can be nuetral and more of a staging ground for large assaults. I really hope they dont make it capturable, this will mean that you will have small spawn rooms filled with infantry and no where to go. It will suck ass.
Old 2013-08-06, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

Maybe have the ANT module be an alternative to the AMS module on the sunderer. It would be an actual meaningful alternative to everyone having AMS.
Old 2013-08-14, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
Aiden
Private

Regarding uses to make the ANT worth investing in: make it a dedicated support vehicle. Move the Sundy's vehicle repair/rearm over to it, keeping the Sundy as a dedicated infantry support vehicle.
Old 2013-08-14, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
Aiden
Private

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Attackers are supplied by adjacent linked friendly facilities. If none then income is zero.
Does this mean if you have more than one friendly facility linked, the attackers will be able to maintain 100% resource gain with more players? That seems logical. It's like the old adjacency system, except with resources instead of cap times.
Old 2013-08-14, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
GraphicJ
Private

I'm in love with the "new" or PS1 type-Lattice concept.
Old 2013-08-14, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Root Hade
Corporal

Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Regarding uses to make the ANT worth investing in: make it a dedicated support vehicle. Move the Sundy's vehicle repair/rearm over to it, keeping the Sundy as a dedicated infantry support vehicle.
Hope the devs catch interesting suggestions like these. Ultimately, I think it'd be easiest and critically quickest if they just made it a Sunderer module. I mean I think everyone would be up for having the Nexus duplicated three times just so we can have Continental Lattice before all the Battle Islands are done.

Also sorta off topic, but where the heck was Lattice referred to as Hard Lines? That sounds much cooler than Lattice. I have no idea what suddenly reminded me of that.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-08-14, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #158
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Does this mean if you have more than one friendly facility linked, the attackers will be able to maintain 100% resource gain with more players? That seems logical. It's like the old adjacency system, except with resources instead of cap times.
Going to start with the nearest facility and see how that works out. If that creates too many weird situations then we may consider using the adjacent facility with the most power, which would provide attacker advantage if the attacker had multiple connections to a facility. That would however make it significantly easier to attack and may make resources irrelevant in such situations. That's why I want to see how nearest facility works first.
Old 2013-08-14, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Going to start with the nearest facility and see how that works out. If that creates too many weird situations then we may consider using the adjacent facility with the most power, which would provide attacker advantage if the attacker had multiple connections to a facility. That would however make it significantly easier to attack and may make resources irrelevant in such situations. That's why I want to see how nearest facility works first.
You mean adjacent bases, as in... adjacency system adjacent, or lattice connection adjacent?

Making it adjacency like from the adjacency system, so that if there was a solid front line, with multiple geographically adjacent bases, would mean attackers would have a strong base to pull from, and might make combat rather interesting.

Further, to add a buffer in so that defenders don't loose out too quickly, adjacent bases to the base being defended could have energy drawn from them.

Just throwing out ideas.
Old 2013-08-15, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Whether it is a module, what can equip the module, or whether it is a standalone vehicle is something we'd like your feedback on.

Can you offer up some good uses of an ANT beyond a space truck? We want all the vehicles to have a well defined role and to be fun. Being a space trucker doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble or worth investing in...what other cool uses do you think the ANT and its power mechanic might bring to make it an interesting and fun vehicle to invest in?
ANT bombs. But that requires the Gal be able to carry buggies.
Old 2013-08-15, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
Methonius
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
-Mine layer
-Deployable invisibility dome
-Deployable shield dome
-Deployable vehicle overshield generator - park your tank nearby for a few seconds to get a temporary shield that can absorb one extra AP shell/rocket
-AoE stealth field, nearby tanks take longer to lock on to
-Massive bomb when charged
-Resource denial/theft (pulls resources out of unfriendly bases)
-Area denial - a gun that shoots 'charge' and acts like a PS1 Radiator
-EMP gun, uses 'charge' as ammo, sets off mines, disables shields, slows vehicle movement and reload speeds
I like these ideas, make it happen. lol
Old 2013-08-15, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Fenrys View Post wins. Also it own frame/platform is definitely needed. Sundy does enough.

But ( Full ) ANTS should always explode with an EMP blast that cares not for friend or foe.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-08-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 2013-08-17, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
Mordelicius
Major

I kept saying synthesis, I meant SYNERGY lol. The ANT should be a standalone vehicle and should have synergy function with other vehicles/units:

Deployed ANT Power + nearby Sunderer = Ability to use Sunderer cloak

Deployed ANT Power + nearby Sunderer = Ability to use bubble shield.

Deployed ANT Power + nearby Flash Radar = 1.5x - 2x Radar Range

Deployed Ant Power + nearby Deployed Prowler = Fast deploy/undeploy

Deployed Ant Power + nearby Vanguard = Slighty stronger shield

Deployed Ant Power + nearby Magrider = Slightly faster strafe

Deployed Ant Power + nearby Infantry = Ability to use Orbital Strike

Deployed Ant Power + nearby Max = Extra armor buff, slow heal and faster reload.

Deployed Ant Power + nearby Drone Operator = Drone control range increase.

Of course, while deployed, the Ant Power will slowly drain, and in case of Orbital strike, it will consume a specific portion of power.

It's time to put a real combined arms that matter.
Old 2013-08-17, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
Greenthy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Fenrys View Post wins. Also it own frame/platform is definitely needed. Sundy does enough.

But ( Full ) ANTS should always explode with an EMP blast that cares not for friend or foe.
Ant bombing v2.0
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion