Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who needs food, I've got planetside.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-04-04, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay

I'd just like to compliment the PSU community here real quick. We just had the CEO going out of his way talking to us directly and across the board everyone expressed their gratitude and I don't think even 1 of us took it for granted or laid into him for some silly percieved slight.

This is exactly why I come to these forums and avoid the official PS forums as much as possible. The people here are much more civil and real while still being entertaining and informative.

Thank you to all of you.
Old 2011-04-04, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'd just like to compliment the PSU community here real quick. We just had the CEO going out of his way talking to us directly and across the board everyone expressed their gratitude and I don't think even 1 of us took it for granted or laid into him for some silly percieved slight.

This is exactly why I come to these forums and avoid the official PS forums as much as possible. The people here are much more civil and real while still being entertaining and informative.

Thank you to all of you.
That's why I stay off Official Forums.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-04-04, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Cheers for the update, my main questions regarding PS2 are;

1 is the certification system where a new player stands toe to toe with a veteran intact?
2 is the fight going to have 100s of players?

That is all that matters ultimately
1 - PSN is a skill based game at it's core. Player skills ( as opposed to character skills) are always going to be the most important. That said we have some cool new things to offer in this department. Not ready to share just yet but we have some cool new things here.

2. Planetside IS a massively multiplayer game. That's what makes us different than Battlefield 3 ( which looks awesome btw). You wont see fighting on the scale we are going to offer anywhere else period. Not even close.

Old 2011-04-04, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
Not ready to share just yet but we have some cool new things here.
What are you ready to share?

2. Planetside IS a massively multiplayer game. That's what makes us different than Battlefield 3 ( which looks awesome btw). You wont see fighting on the scale we are going to offer anywhere else period. Not even close.2.
1000 vs 1000 vs 1000?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-04-04, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187 View Post
Made my night

Smed, thank you for posting here.

From what I've read it seems like you do have good intentions, especially concerning PSU. But I still have to express my "Bad Idea" vote at giving exclusives ahead of schedule/before mass-marketing. When you combine that with telling subscribers they get access to beta it seems very greedy since we still have no dates yet. I'm sure many disagree with me though lol

Is it just me or are games announcing themselves earlier and earlier in their development the past few years? In a perfect world I wouldn't know about a game until I can beta test it. Or at least until there is some solid info about the game.

But Smed's PR is GREAT! Posting here calling us the most loyal is an honor. If it was his game, his schedule, and his info to give, I think we'd all be much happier.

Hmm. Well in this case I feel pretty strongly that our loyal subscribers should know that they are first in line. That's not greedy. That's simply good business and it's the right thing to do.

Second - I'm choosing to come here to talk largely because this is where the Planetside community chose to make their home. Where else would I want to go? That's why my preference is to keep it low key here and answer questions when I can and tell you when I can't.

Smed
Old 2011-04-04, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Zargas
Private

Still no plans for Biffers right? :P

Really looking forward to PS:Next, putting on my TR uniform again
But i have to ask, will there be somthing special waiting for old timed players?
Some special colors

I know i might be asking loads, but it would be kind of fun to show off
"Yes i have played for a long time, bow down to me :P"
Old 2011-04-04, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

1 - PSN is a skill based game at it's core. Player skills ( as opposed to character skills) are always going to be the most important. That said we have some cool new things to offer in this department. Not ready to share just yet but we have some cool new things here.

2. Planetside IS a massively multiplayer game. That's what makes us different than Battlefield 3 ( which looks awesome btw). You wont see fighting on the scale we are going to offer anywhere else period. Not even close.

Thanks again for your time smed. We really appreciate this and confirming that PS:N is going to be "not even close" to the current player cap of 400, and its HUGE! Of course its a rather subjective term, but all I wanted to know is that it had more. Please note I am all warm an fuzzy inside...

I dont think im the only one here who has been waiting 5 years for this and I really want to express my utmost jump-out-of-my-chair-and-scream excitement now that you just said that and how things are going.

BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! We need more then the old planetside vets to really make this game popular and for the most part thats all your going to find here. So get the word out. The only reason I bought the first planetside was because I saw the game box on a clearance rack for $40 at the game store. I knew nothing of it and only purchased it because I was out of FPS's to play..

Im sorry had to add one more and I think its the reason the first PS didnt always settle well and its a dirty four letter word: CSHD...

Client Side Hit Detection kills you when your've already run around the corner, when your think you'e made it, just to get shot 2 seconds later. Be completely on top of that damn wasp, yet he still gets his chain gun on you. And to get sniped right after you moved. And was the basis for the majority of hacks currently plaguing the game..

So does SOE have the power to get the servers to do the dirty work? And quickly at that?

Last edited by TacosWLove; 2011-04-04 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2011-04-04, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post

Thank you to all of you.
That is too true. Nerf XYZ or killwhore .

Thank you Smed for coming here and sharing what you know on the forum!

Last edited by Goku; 2011-04-04 at 08:16 PM.
Old 2011-04-04, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Devinator
Private

Smed. Thanks for posting.

I am wondering whether you consider Planetside to have been a success or not? I assume so since it is getting a sequel.

And I am wondering what you plan to do to keep players interested and maintain big fights- which is what made planetside unique as you mentioned.

Take a look at Planetside and EVE... Both the same age. EVE may be nothing but a spreadsheet with a scifi skin but they are constantly adding new content and updating things to keep folks interested. Even if people leave the game after a while, as a whole it has been constantly growing. Pretty much the opposite of planetside. It sucked to see my favorite game put on minimal artificial life support after such a short time.
Old 2011-04-04, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Aractain
Major

Straengly enough Im think about a future BFF report where mikeb explains that he spilled ANOTHER mountain dew because of smed... Maybe.

But what the new audiance for games (8 YEARS!) thinks about Planetside (hopefully updated for our new tastes without this new console flavour) is going to be interesting...

Last edited by Aractain; 2011-04-04 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2011-04-04, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Hmm. Well in this case I feel pretty strongly that our loyal subscribers should know that they are first in line. That's not greedy. That's simply good business and it's the right thing to do.
Good point, but I just wouldn't have resubbed unless I heard the lil "launch" and "march" words. As I thought I would need to pay for one month of this old PS, and get to try the new PS:N, but now it seems I will be stuck in the past a bit longer, not knowing when I can unsub. I was just a lil upset but now know I shouldn't have relied on those words since things can change.

Second - I'm choosing to come here to talk largely because this is where the Planetside community chose to make their home. Where else would I want to go? That's why my preference is to keep it low key here and answer questions when I can and tell you when I can't.

Smed
Again thanks for coming here, it's nerdgasms for everyone.
I may just have a rare view, and it's not every day you get to talk with "The Boss" of the people making the game you want to play lol.

think I'ma have to get a PSU tshirt now...
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-04-04, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

New PSU T-Shirt idea:

PSU

Smed was here
Old 2011-04-04, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I....just can't believe it. Thank you Smed, you just became my favorite CEO ever(I don't know many I admit, but your pretty great doing this for us). for all.

A few questions if you don't mind:

I noticed that the NC Vanguard got a small redesign aesthetic's wise. Will the other Empires get the same love? (Not sure about anyone else, but the Prowler to me looks like one of square of Hershey's chocolate with a turret on top).

I also heard that the Sanctuaries were getting the axe. Is this true?

Thank you in advance(if you can answer them. If you can't...Thanks for all the info!!!)
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-04-04, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
FortunadoAE
Private

I've got a degree in PR, and it's pretty awesome to see a CEO doing something like this. Props to smed.
Old 2011-04-04, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
MrSilentF
Private

You said galaxies are going to be a big part of the game over your tweet posts. Care to elaborate?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion