News: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What do you mean Planetside isn't real?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-09, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Matt higby doing a q&a at redit!

Edit: was lies

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-09 at 10:48 PM.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
No jackhammer. NC will focus more on railgun tech.
The guy who said this isn't Higby. There are two Ias0m, one with an 'L', the real higby and one with an 'i' a faker.

Check the overviews

Real higby http://www.reddit.com/user/las0m

Faker http://www.reddit.com/user/Ias0m
Old 2011-07-09, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
The guy who said this isn't Higby. There are two Ias0m, one with an 'L', the real higby and one with an 'i' a faker.

Check the overviews

Real higby http://www.reddit.com/user/las0m

Faker http://www.reddit.com/user/Ias0m
Thanks, just saw that. Editing.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Years of Planetside hackers using i's and l's together to confuse you about their name has given me some kind of super sensitivity to it. The faker also said there was no voice comms and that we should resub by next weekend, he was also the one saying headshots were in so those features are still unverified
Old 2011-07-09, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Bags
Lieutenant General

Removed the lies.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Bags
Lieutenant General

Sorry, I'm new to redit. I thought it wasn't bringing up his other messages because that's how it worked.

I was wondering why his name wasn't as blue as Matt's...

Here's no hoping he's not accurate as I haven't liked any of his answers

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-09 at 11:22 PM.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Heh, he deleted the post where he said he was in the know and speaking for Higby. Looks like hes given up, 1 x faker destroyed
Old 2011-07-09, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
Heh, he deleted the post where he said he was in the know and speaking for Higby. Looks like hes given up, 1 x faker destroyed
Yeah, I figured it would end one of three ways

1.) "lol i trol u"
2.) "No i srsly am" *continues to post*
3.) actually gives proof

Guess he went with #1.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sirisian
Colonel

Did you guys report the posts? I did. Too bad you can't explain why when reporting posts.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I'm pretty sad to see vehicle hacking isn't in anymore. Balance issues are one thing, but wouldn't it be possible to simply recolor the textures in the shader? At least that would avoid having to load a whole new set of textures. Since it's a relatively rare case it might even make sense to write a separate shader for hacked vehicles, if you want to keep things really optimized in the unhacked case. But that's just some ideas, obviously I have no idea how things are implemented in the engine.

I think it's worth trying to keep in though, it really added some variety to the game and a great sense of accomplishment when bringing home that purple Vanguard.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I'm pretty sad to see vehicle hacking isn't in anymore. Balance issues are one thing, but wouldn't it be possible to simply recolor the textures in the shader? At least that would avoid having to load a whole new set of textures. Since it's a relatively rare case it might even make sense to write a separate shader for hacked vehicles, if you want to keep things really optimized in the unhacked case. But that's just some ideas, obviously I have no idea how things are implemented in the engine.

I think it's worth trying to keep in though, it really added some variety to the game and a great sense of accomplishment when bringing home that purple Vanguard.
Sounds more like a budget issue if anything. I would not be shocked to see this implemented into the game eventually with a major update. While I do find the current expert hacking of vehicles speed a bit much, I had no problem with the ADV. Hack one. It was nice driving around in enemy vehicles from time to time. Thats not even mentioning the value it has to capturing AMSes and such.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
kklkit
Private

Has anyone asked about the concerns regarding uncapturable foothold?
-Can we camp the foothold?
-How larger is a foothold?
-Can we capture a continent like we could in the original PlanetSide?
-If not, what is the condition required to shift the fight from one continent to another?
-Since each faction has their own foothold on each continent, I guess there won't be 1 on 1 (faction) fight?

Last edited by kklkit; 2011-07-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
LostSoul

Originally Posted by kklkit View Post
Has anyone asked about the concerns regarding uncapturable foothold?
-How larger is a foothold?
-If not, what is the condition required to shift the fight from one continent to another?
-Since each faction has their own foothold on each continent, I guess there won't be 1 on 1 (faction) fight?
I'll try to answer this to the best of my knowledge so far, but do please correct me if i'm wrong.

Yes and no, some footholds will be bunkers/tower/facilities/open landscapes and I imagine you will be able to "camp" some them easier then others -as in defending those points with (a) smaller squad(s)-.

But with the territorial control system i doubt you want to sit still and "camp".

-How large is a foothold?
They are still working on the hex-grid, and the sizes might vary over time, territories will be able to shift arround.

I highly doubt this, since each faction will have their own foothold the best you can do will be "locking" them in their foothold.

It looks like they have opted for a more open approach where the fight evolves over multiple continents at the same time. What it looks like to me is that you'll just be able to go to a continent with your squad (or solo) and start conquering.

Its possible ofcourse, multiple war fronts on the same continent versus the different empire.

Just imagine the footholds as big circles in a triangle, where these circles overlap each other different fights will happen, some will be versus 1 empire, and some would be versus both opposing empires.

Last edited by LostSoul; 2011-07-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

When my outfit heard about the "its next to impossible to capture an entire continent", we all just did this:

And theres a shitload of other outfits out there that did the same.

Higby, add a mechanic to allow us to capture entire continent. Otherwise WE will do it the hard way. :P
Old 2011-07-10, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by basti View Post
When my outfit heard about the "its next to impossible to capture an entire continent", we all just did this:

And theres a shitload of other outfits out there that did the same.

Higby, add a mechanic to allow us to capture entire continent. Otherwise WE will do it the hard way. :P
This it will still happen. You will only need overwhelming force and I do not see that being a problem depending on the time of day or the organization of a group.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion