News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: it makes me orgasm.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-21, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
But the FAQs state that European players CANNOT play on US servers and vice versa.
Bad wording, just that. Very bad wording.

Seems like they wanted to make clear that you wont be able to have a SOE account and play with the euros / have a Euro account and play with the americans.

Its really just blablah about the account system, no single word about the technical ascpets. Hence no region lock.

And if im completly wrong on that one, well then, GJ SOE, you screwed up big time. PReventing any of us to play with our mates from the other side of the big sea is a bad idea.
Old 2012-02-21, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Shnipah

Post your comments on the region lock in the feedback thread

http://forums.station.sony.com/stati...0&#11500258199

tweet higby as we need clarification on this. If enough people make a fuss they will have to respond.

If they really have made it region locked then SOE just did their usual big mistake when making an MMO
Old 2012-02-21, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Bad wording, just that. Very bad wording.
I think the wording is pretty clear.

Can players still access the U.S. servers?

Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games's service and will not have access to U.S. servers. However, existing EverQuest II players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts.

Can U.S. players log on to the European servers?

U.S.-based players will have access to the U.S. servers only.

Old 2012-02-21, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'm not trying to troll because I do feel for you players across the pond, but high ping in a shooter sucks major monkeyballs. So there is an upside.
I typically get 150 to gemini. Sometimes it goes up to 300. Not optimal, but hardly "high".

I am also a member of a mostly US-based outfit. I won't accept anyone, not even SOE, to tell me I can't be a member anymore because of my geographic location
Old 2012-02-21, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vash02
Major

I think the wording of the document does lean (an almost horizontal lean) towards region lock even if it doesent state it out loud.
Old 2012-02-21, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
ThGlump
Captain

Soe always kill good games with bad move. So i expected something bad for ps2 too. I just hoped theyll kill PS2 few years after release not year before.
Old 2012-02-21, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Vancha
Colonel

My god. Did they really have to try so, so hard to fuck it all up this monumentally? I don't think there's a single thing they could have done to make me lose all interest in playing Planetside 2 other than what they've just done.

You have a game that's almost guaranteed to come good, and you ruin it for your biggest supporters? What kind of company treats their best customers this badly?

I have no interest in supporting such a company, either by playing their game or by helping them improve it through beta.

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
Why do people want to play on servers where they will have terrible ping so badly?
My ping was fine, thank you very much.

I want to play on US servers because the people I've played with over the past 6 years are from the US. I want to play with my friends. I want to play with the people I've bonded with and the people I have loyalties to. I want to play with my fellow Planetside vets. I didn't just play with these people, I fought a war with them.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-21 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
stordito
Staff Sergeant

proxys anyone?
Old 2012-02-21, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

And for those wondering why i assume no region lock: because its within the text itself. Read the FAQ again.

I'm a European player; after I create my ProSieben account, will my SOE account be shut down?

Your SOE account will not be shut down, but you will only be able to play the above mentioned games through a ProSiebenSat.1 Games account. As discussed above, we will provide a simple way to have your characters and game progress transferred and the value of your Station Cash granted to your new ProSiebenSat.1 Games account. Also, existing EverQuest II players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts.

This is the important part. This, nothing else tells me that there is no IP lock in place.

But all the Euro servers will move over to Pro7. Means all characters on them will only be playable via Pro7 accounts.
Old 2012-02-21, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Shnipah

I shouldn't have to set up a proxy to play the game. It is 2012, I want to have the choice!
Old 2012-02-21, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
I typically get 150 to gemini. Sometimes it goes up to 300. Not optimal, but hardly "high".

I am also a member of a mostly US-based outfit. I won't accept anyone, not even SOE, to tell me I can't be a member anymore because of my geographic location
Again, I'm not trying to troll, but in my extremely humble opinion, any ping over 100 for an fps is "high". And it does affect the other people you are playing with so it's not just a matter of "well I'm ok with it".

Old 2012-02-21, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Before we go alienating European players and American players with harsh words and personal beliefs, lets try to preserve the status quo which was better than what we've possibly been presented with.

We need to all form an e-mail/twitter message to send to John Smedley regarding our beliefs.

We need to write it here, and we need to all send it at the same time.

Who wants to start.

(Yes, I am a US player who is advocating for Euro right to play where and when they want)
Old 2012-02-21, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Mirror
First Sergeant

I get a 112 ping to emerald/gemini.

Stupid move on SOEs part. Why not just present us with a list of servers when we login and let us choose where we want to play......just like before (before the merge I mean).

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-21, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Vancha
Colonel

300+ ping is not fine for shooter games. You're not going to enjoy it and you're going to annoy people because you're impossible to shoot.
I didn't get 300+ ping. I know American ISPs are terrible, but we have some decent ones over here in the UK.

Get over it. Play on your Euro servers and make new Euro friends.
Er, no. These are communities I've been a part of for years. Could I play on euro servers, make new friends and enjoy myself? Probably, yes, but that's not my preference and I don't want to support a company that splits up it's communities by playing it's games.
Old 2012-02-21, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

So I don't have to worry about laggy Aussies or Europeans all of the time?

Awesome.

It's not that I don't like people from those countries, it's just that lag is extremely annoying. This will prevent them from coming in and being laggy as hell and me going to their servers and lagging them down./
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion