Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how many bodies could i squeze in the trunk of my MAX
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
"A wealth of strategic enhancements".

Pretentious way of saying "it makes camping easier".
Why are people against camping? If you are defending a post, camping is the RIGHT thing to do in almost all cases.

P.S. I also support quick knives.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-06-01 at 03:02 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

I'll be honest, I'd much rather have advanced firing positions that utilize terrain and cover more effectively, like leaning around corners or just peeking high enough over cover to aim and fire (and all the opponents see is half a head and a gun pointed at them). That would be worth way more to me than prone position.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I'm not against prone per se, but I don't think it would fit into Planetside. One of the issues with Planetside 1 is that it has always favored the defenders more than attackers, so I think gameplay elements need to promote aggressive gameplay so the attackers can actually have more of a chance. Prone is much more useful to defenders than attackers. As an attacker, unless you can prone into a defilade position, your really just asking to get shot in the face or a grenade in your lap.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
KnightHawk ECID
Corporal

I'd rather have lean than prone. Prone doesn't open up new opportunities or strategies, leaning does.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
The Kush
Captain

No.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

I am by no means advocating prone in planetside 2, but I do want to dispute the theory that prone leads to camping.

Prone is necessary to avoid headshots from snipers, grenade launcher & AT spam on your position.

BFHeroes and other games without prone are annoying because you can only crouch behind things which doesn't protect you 100% from aoe spam and headshots. Dying to something that wouldn't have killed you if you could only have gone prone is more annoying that the 1 random idiot who lays in the corner and gets maybe 3 kills tops before hes knifed.

As for adding in prone after beta, It would be very unlikely but not impossible as they would have to redo every character model to include the prone animations and add the code in to trigger them in addition to all the accuracy balancing from the new stance.

Last edited by Kurtz; 2012-06-01 at 03:10 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
I'm not against prone per se, but I don't think it would fit into Planetside. One of the issues with Planetside 1 is that it has always favored the defenders more than attackers, so I think gameplay elements need to promote aggressive gameplay so the attackers can actually have more of a chance. Prone is much more useful to defenders than attackers. As an attacker, unless you can prone into a defilade position, your really just asking to get shot in the face or a grenade in your lap.
I absolutely agree with you and I'd like to thank you for actually giving an argument against prone.

Planetside is an arcade shooter and prone would, in many people's opinions, make the game more static and less fun. Prone encourages the turtle style gameplay that the devs have said they are specifically trying to avoid.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Frostedawg
Private

<<< played planetside for 7-8 years loved it but wished i could go prone the entire time because in a situation where im in a shootout with some blues or purple's my first natural reaction is to look for cover and if said cover is a 1ft high rock then down behind that is where id wanna be. And honestly id give up stealth to go prone while sniping because...well thats what snipers do and with camo armor patterns id just rock one of those and go lay down and snipe....and if you hate snipers grab a mossy/reaver/scythe and go F them up.... if you hate prone then dont use it but dont try and limit other peoples gameplay options so you dont have to have the option. Also if everyone decided to snipe on one team well they would be stupid because one person in any tank or fighter or w/e could kill them all. all the no prone votes i see are supported by "i dont like having to fight people that lay down and shoot. or i dont like people that use tactics that i dont like" honestly get over it. i wont cry if it's not in but i hope it is.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Frostedawg
Private

Originally Posted by Kaw View Post
I absolutely agree with you and I'd like to thank you for actually giving an argument against prone.

Planetside is an arcade shooter and prone would, in many people's opinions, make the game more static and less fun. Prone encourages the turtle style gameplay that the devs have said they are specifically trying to avoid.
haha... ya no. cod is an arcade shooter. planetside was ment to be a large scale tactical shooter...
Old 2012-06-01, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
If attackers need a buff, what about jump pads, which helps defenders?

Also, defenders are more likely to have a low wall on a tower top which they can crouch behind than an attacker, are they not? At least, that is, until the attackers reach the base itself and then have the same cover as the defenders do.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Zulthus
Colonel

Some people just want to watch the world burn. And by that I mean there are some people from BF3 who just want every single lame and stupid feature from "modern" FPS games. (edit Prone isn't stupid it just doesn't fit in the game, everything else is) Or just a carbon copy of BF3 on a massive scale.

No to prone. It subtracts much more from gameplay than it adds.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-06-01 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Mackenz
Private

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
I'll be honest, I'd much rather have advanced firing positions that utilize terrain and cover more effectively, like leaning around corners or just peeking high enough over cover to aim and fire (and all the opponents see is half a head and a gun pointed at them). That would be worth way more to me than prone position.
This.

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
I find it comical how many of you old vets, who in other threads have been vehemently defending a hardline punishing PS experience where realism trumps all are not open to this.
If your aim is realism, destructible cover is up for grabs first. Good luck with that.

I am waiting for the beta for most stuff to come out in the wash, but this is not on my list for need/nice-to-have.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

I'd like prone as well as a first person cover system like in Red Orchestra 2. But I realize most PS vets won't agree to things like that so I won't insist.

Would be a nice extra but I can live without it...
Old 2012-06-01, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
I'd like prone as well as a first person cover system like in Red Orchestra 2. But I realize most PS vets won't agree to things like that so I won't insist.

Would be a nice extra but I can live without it...
First person cover: Stand behind box, Crouch. You are now in cover. To leave cover, stand up.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Prone for PS2?

Cheers,

GG

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread