Let's play Planetside 2 on low-end systems ! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Complete with a staff of sexy beasts
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-24, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Re: Let's play Planetside 2 on low-end systems !

I hope SOE put's their cloud device to good use.
Old 2012-07-24, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
I'm currently running:

-Athlon 3.3 triple core
-4 gigs RAM
-Radeon 4670 video card w/1 gig memory
-90 gig Corsair SSD boot drive with a 500 gig Seagate for data

Is there even a hint of a ghost of a whisper of recommended specs for this game yet...? What is liable to be the biggest bottleneck? Is a game that has to display hundreds of moving objects at once going to be a memory hog more than a video hog? or is it liable to be the other way around?

What's your best educated guess?
CPU intensive unless you plan playing on a 50" screen.
And no, Recommended specs will be out when tech test ends.

Iek.
Old 2012-07-24, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Chrispin
Corporal

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Xeons. That's awesome. What motherboard are you using? Did it come with PCI-E or AGP? There weren't a lot of those out there!

Personally, I'm sticking with my Asus P5k-VM motherboard / Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz / nvidia GTS450 1 GB GDDR5 video card, 6GB DDR2 667MHz RAM computer, because I'm in no way unhappy with it.

I bought this motherboard five years ago as part of my upgrade plan and it's worked out really well. What I have now is like a super computer compared to what I had back in the early 2000s. For instance, I went from transcoding a DVD into an xvid file taking 90 minutes (with a P4 3.0GHz cpu) to taking less than 20 minutes! Unfortunately, socket 775 core2 processors never came down in price like the Core i3/i5 and DDR2 RAM is outrageously expensive compared to DDR3, so it would cost more to upgrade parts on this motherboard than it would to buy a new motherboard/core i3 2120/4g ram - and the i3 would beat any core2 quad in gaming anyhow...

TL;DR: Meh. I'll turn the settings down and only consider upgrading if 4x AA is too taxing on the system to playable. The "jaggies" bother me!
I think my motherboard must be specially made for my model of HP workstation computer called xw8200. My dad just happened to be working at a hospital when they were about to throw some nice computers out, so we took a workstation home and I gave it a new graphics card and RAM and it was ready to go! The motherboard has 2 PCI slots and one PCI-E, no AGP, so I can't have dual video cards unfortunately.

I was pretty much in your situation. This system is miles ahead of the last one I had, but now if I want to upgrade I'll have to shell out the money for a new motherboard first. At least it was mostly free and it came with a really nice easy-access case!
Old 2012-07-24, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Rico Suave
Private

AMD Phenom II X4 840T processor 2.9
6 gigs RAM

And my coworker (who upgrades his computer like clockwork) lent my an old Radeon HD 4890 and a 500 watt power supply. I spent more then an hour trying to get the damn things to fit in the small tower (The graphics card barely fits) and I had to move the CD drive in order to fit the new power supply, but it took me a half hour to realize that I had been trying to pull out my CD drive the wrong way and had been raging about what infernal contraption was holding it, then I realized that the front cover comes off.

Yeah...I'm still gonna play this game.

Last edited by Rico Suave; 2012-07-24 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2012-07-24, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

lol, nice thread, I like your style (although I got the bling bling )
Old 2012-07-24, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

All I can do is wish you luck. They've pretty much come right out and said that a Nvidia 8800 "won't be fun"... What exactly that means, I don't know, but it's not a good sign.

I will say that once you dial graphics down all the way (hopefully they'll allow that to make a difference)

Two things will affect your gameplay more than anything else:

Internet Connection
A decent connection is a must, just from the sheer volume of players/data being transferred.

CPU
To handle the huge number of calculations required by the hundreds of people, thousands of rounds flying, all the little "details" that you normally don't notice.

RAM
For the above, also

Basically, the same things that hampered X3, for the same reasons. The sheer scale of the game, by it's very nature, makes it demanding on these particular things. Graphics, you can tweak. This other stuff, there's not a damn thing you can do about.
Old 2012-07-24, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
All I can do is wish you luck. They've pretty much come right out and said that a Nvidia 8800 "won't be fun"...
My knowledge of video cards is kind of vague -- I'm not part of the power-gamer crowd -- but my rig runs Skyrim on 'High' with the HQ patch, and I'm just rocking a Radeon HD 4670 as aforesaid....

...and I go and look up an Nvidia 8800 and that's like a $220+ card! Who said this and when?

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-07-24 at 03:44 PM.
Old 2012-07-24, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
snaffe
Sergeant

Will be interesting to see if multiple cores (6+) will be an good? Or will it be i5 all the way?
Old 2012-07-24, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by snaffe View Post
Will be interesting to see if multiple cores (6+) will be an good? Or will it be i5 all the way?
If it's as processor-intensive as a lot of the folks in this thread are speculating, I would God damn *hope* Forgelight supports multiprocessing.
Old 2012-07-24, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Nvidia 8800 is an old card. Probably 5+ years old. It's not that it's BAD persay, it's just very old. That's probably why it's 200+ bucks. Not as many available. But they are still respectable.

Higby or some such tweeted it within the last two weeks or so.

My laptop has an ATI Radeon 5470 I think it is. They actually have a number scheme these days. 1st number is series, second number is a performance scale (higher is better) and third number is also a performance scale, within that model. Example 5(series) 4(low-to-midrange) 7(high end of, with more memory and higher speed). In other words, it's a moderate card.

Nvidia uses something similar. My brother's desktop is a 560. 5 (series) 6 (mid-to-high range). 580 being the highest one. Anyway, you get the idea.

Also, on the older 8 and 9 series cards, something they've been doing is making DUAL cards, so they are still "appealing" as a budget performance card. That is, it is ONE physical card, but it has TWO cores in it. It's like an SLI, but not, kind of. Anyway, that's probably why some of them you're looking at are more expensive.

Originally Posted by snaffe View Post
Anybody that is not incorporating multi-cores into their programs are just big BOOBS. Whatever an individual's opinion of SOE may be, they are assuredly not THAT stupid! Multi-cores have been around too long now.
Old 2012-07-24, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Nvidia 8800 is an old card. Probably 5+ years old. It's not that it's BAD persay, it's just very old.
/maximum facepalm

Blah. I searched for Nvidia 8800 at TigerDirect and was getting stuff like this for some reason:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...450&CatId=3669

Never mind me. I dumb.
Old 2012-07-24, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Trolltaxi View Post
core i5 2500K without distinct graphic card here... it will be an interesting experience.

Technically the IGP3000 is a Dx10.1 capable chip, but it's clear that it lacks power to use it above the lowest settings.

On the other hand, the Forgelight engine is said to be damn well scaleble - we will see how well it actually is. SOE building PS2 and EQ2 around it, so it may mean that it is scaleble _upwards_ from this level, so it will still be able to provide decent visual experience in 3-5 years too. PS2 is said to run on 5 years old rigs too - but that doesn't mean it will be enjoyable.

Still, bad sex is better than no sex, and there is no such things like bad sex - when it's bad, it is actually still quite good!
I think all you'll be doing is dry humping, tbh. Sorry.
Old 2012-07-24, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Truuth
Private

Wow thats lame i guess my core 2 duo 2.0ghz and ati radon 3400 dont have no chance at running it, yeah funny how they said a 4 to 5 years old system could run it never can hold a promise
Old 2012-07-24, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Truuth View Post
Wow thats lame i guess my core 2 duo 2.0ghz and ati radon 3400 dont have no chance at running it, yeah funny how they said a 4 to 5 years old system could run it never can hold a promise

Yeah, they were wanting that originally, then as they got into it they were like... "Damn. That ain't happenin'"

It's not really "their fault" they just underestimated what they were doing. Like I said above, by nature of the scale of the game, it doesn't matter what kind of graphics card you have, the system on whole, needs to be high-end, because of the VOLUME of information being processed. I never did put any stock in that "promise" because when I saw "low-end computer" and "2000+ players" used in the same sentence, I burst out laughing. They seriously did not think that through.

We can't rock it like it's 1995 forever... Eventually, we have to come back to 2012
Old 2012-07-24, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
That one noob
Sergeant

Personally I'm going to be surprised if I can even run the damn game past menu.
2.2ghz AMD Turion Dual Core Mobile
ATI Radeon 4200 Mobile HD
4gb of RAM.

Hopefully It'll be optimized really well XD.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion