Let's play Planetside 2 on low-end systems ! - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The fansite that refreshes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-01, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Re: Let's play Planetside 2 on low-end systems !

I'm currently using a laptop with a crappy dual-core Intel cpu and an integrated Intel GMA 4500 graphics chip, which is pretty awful. The laptop is missing several keys, having been run across by a frightened cat, and the spacebar sticks badly (barely popping back up) after my daughter spilled a cup of juice on the keyboard several weeks back.

The letter c key does not work. I actually just click on a bookmark, copy out the c from .com via right-click, and type the c by pressing ctrl-v. It's almost second nature, which is quite sad.

The thing is, I'm not a poor person. I make a reasonable living as an Enterprise WAN Data technician and I'm looking favorable for a promotion soon. I don't have any debt, I have good credit and low rent.

However, I have a 3-year-old child, my fiancee is a stay-at-home Mom and so is supported by my income, and I just spent 6 figures on a house in the second-most affluent neighborhood in my state so that my child can attend one of the best schools in the country. My family comes before everything else in my life; I will give them the very best that I can afford.

It also doesn't help that my cobbled-together budget desktop (Triple-core Phenom running an NVIDIA 8800GTS that I revived from the dead by baking it in the oven and building a fan housing out of cardboard and duct-tape) had its motherboard die just a few weeks back. Now I'm digging through my spare parts to see what I can put together.

Maybe after the renovations on the new house are done I'll be able to think about getting a new desktop; but chances are with the new mortgage it won't be an amazing one (unless that promotion pays a lot better than I think it will!).

I really love PS2, but sacrifices need to be made for the good of the family.

* sigh... *

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-08-01 at 08:31 PM.
Old 2012-08-01, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by That one noob View Post
Personally I'm going to be surprised if I can even run the damn game past menu.
2.2ghz AMD Turion Dual Core Mobile
ATI Radeon 4200 Mobile HD
4gb of RAM.

Hopefully It'll be optimized really well XD.
Hey, I'm pretty much the same! Except my AMD Turion doesn't say Mobile for some reason and is 2.3 GHz. Also, I have the ATI Radeon 4250 Mobile HD. Here's for hoping we can load up the menu!

Also, I'm totally down with setting the graphics down to PS1 levels if it lets me actually run the game.
Old 2012-08-01, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Toppopia
Major

I am on a laptop with good specs, except for the Nvidea GeForce 230M graphics card. Bring on the 800x600 resolution!!!
Old 2012-08-01, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
RJTravis
Private

Man I feel for the people with out high end PCs.

I use to always buy my pc every 4 years & spend 3-5K I just started building my own PC this year by my self I thought it be hard but its almost moronic proof xD

I got a

Intel core i7 Extreme 975 @3.9 ghz
EVGA 132-BL-E765 Motherboard
16 DDr3 triple channel Corsair memory
4 way SLI 580 GTX
Water cooled cpu H100
A corsair DW800 case
1200w PSU

t took about 15min to set it all up & getting it running on a 3 monitor display.

It only cost me 1032$ was happy to go from a crappy pc to running everything on ultra

Hopfully you guys run into some money for a pc.
Old 2012-08-01, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Electrofreak is the hero of our era!
Old 2012-08-02, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Toppopia
Major

And i hope these devs optomise the game properly, because i can play something like Just Cause 2 with no lag on minimum graphics and max resolution, but then play Mount and Blade on mimimum graphics and lag when there only 30 people playing. This shouldn't be a problem for Sony, and Mount and Blade was made by an independent developer but still. Make sure it runs on low end systems.

Thanks from all low end system people.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
camycamera
Major

for me, on game-debate.com, there was an estimate if your PC could run PS2 or not, just based purely off screen shots and videos and such. so, it turns out apparently my shitty ATI randeon 4500 (with 2gb ram) will (estimated) be able to run PS2 on MEDUIM graphics. i hope this is true. i can't run Battlefield 3 even on low settings, i can *just* run Crysis 2 on "lowest" settings (the lowest settings is high... ), and according to systemrequirmentslab.com i cant run Tribes: Ascend.

however, on TotalBiscut's Planetside 2 E3 Stream - Day 2 - (feat. Totalbiscuit and Margaret Krohn) video, there was talk about the system requirements. (you can see the video below) at 1:16:45 of the video, TB asks one of the devs (forgot the dev's name) about the system requirements. he responds by saying that:

"from what you are seeing now we do have a very high spec system running what you see, but that doesn't mean you will need a high spec system to play this game. we have TONNES of graphical options, our programming department are just graphic nuts, they want you to be able to turn on and off tonnes of different things, so if you have a low end machine, you can turn all the setting to low or medium and you still don't loose anything from the gameplay. the gameplay is still there, and you can still feel like you are in a massive world."

that gets my hopes up that i will be able to run this game

also, i hope that the optimisation is as outstanding as Max Payne 3's. according to systemrequirmentslab.com i will be able to run max payne 3 COMPLETELY smooth, and from other videos on youtube, it has been praised for its optimisation. that is what i would like planetside 2 to do. look stunning, even on pieces of shit PC's like ours. but even if it doesn't... it is still going to be not only the best F2P SCI-FI MMO FPS, but one of the greatest FPSs ever made
Old 2012-08-23, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Teradanius
Private

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
I'm currently using a laptop with a crappy dual-core Intel cpu and an integrated Intel GMA 4500 graphics chip, which is pretty awful.
I have an intel GMA x4500 intergrated but i'm using acer aspire so I had a spare slot I could use I went and bought a second hand ATI Radeon HD 5450 from CEX for £20 and it works perfectly without falter and no missing components I went crazy after that and got all the mmofps I couldn't play before I can now play T: Ascend on High Detail setting. you just need to look for the right one I did want a passive one without a cooling fan cause one it's quieter and two it turns of to save energy when your not using it for anything. So try going to a hardware store they do sometimes have good prices especially when they sell second hand games.

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I am on a laptop with good specs, except for the Nvidea GeForce 230M graphics card. Bring on the 800x600 resolution!!!
how do you see snipers on a screen that small eagle vison or stretching your corneas out of their sockets?

anyways sidetracking a little bit if you won the the millions lottery before planetside 2 is full released what would get e.g. what desktop or laptop or both and what hardware would you have inside so you can play planets side at any setting?

Me simple as i'd have an alienware fx dexsktop the one with 28 colours for lighting on the tower and the cooling gel system then i'd max it out (apart from memory I only just reached over quarter on my 1TB hard drive theres no need for any major numbers for hard drives so 1 or 2 TB is enougth although it has 4 hardrive slots so you could probly reach 4TB if the computer can handle it then the best processor these new I series are supposed to be pretty big time apparently and finally I would have LCD 50" Inch moniter with 3D glasses capability and a the best most capable graphics card (so in simple terms i'd go all out for a monster game machine) most rich guys buy a fancy car or private jet but one walking is healthier (unless leaving for holiday abroad) and i'm more of a gamer.

hopefully if I ever get better at my maths in the future i'll be doing level design (Dream Job, Success not yet verified!) i'm currently in arts and media combined (lv2) ive still got LV3 which ill actually start the proper stuff then finally after that ill be in uni maybe even work for SOE one day(kidding i'm not that lucky)

Last edited by Teradanius; 2012-08-23 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2012-08-23, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post

It also doesn't help that my cobbled-together budget desktop (Triple-core Phenom running an NVIDIA 8800GTS that I revived from the dead by baking it in the oven and building a fan housing out of cardboard and duct-tape) had its motherboard die just a few weeks back. Now I'm digging through my spare parts to see what I can put together.
That's so cool. Amazing!

Anyhow, I have an i5 2500k, gtx 560TI, 8 gb ram and some cheap mobo that broke once, but got replaced for free and works now. So I should be fine. runs bf3 on med-high quite well. ( minus the fact that the game is terrible)

Im not as optimistic for the other pc. Its a core 2 duo @ 2.13 GHz with a 8600gts, 2 gb ram (hopefully it will become 4gb soon ) Probably just under the bubble
But rest assured...
Fucks will be given!
Old 2012-08-24, 01:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
sgtbjack
Corporal

Man, I'm hoping I can play this on my lap top, I don't feel like messing with my old ladies pc(I bought that for her, but its coated in viruses,malware, spyware, if you open the active programs theres about 200 running lol)

My lap tops, not the greatest though.

It's an asus
intel core 2 duo P8700 2.53GHz x 2.53GHz
6.00 GB
Nvidia gtx 260M

Who's gonna give me the horrid news lol
Old 2012-08-24, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
Ghostwithbroken
Private

Originally Posted by Teradanius View Post
I only just reached over quarter on my 1TB hard drive theres no need for any major numbers for hard drives so 1 or 2 TB is enougth

Old 2012-08-24, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghostwithbroken View Post
You know you love computers when u get a freaking smile on your face when you see the guy load 30+ programs at once and get pretty amazed by the fact that it didn't BLOW up xD
Old 2012-08-24, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Being a poor college student, I have essentially 0 chance of getting a better gaming computer, so I will have to deal with my Asus k53-SV, equipped with a GT540m, an Intel i5 2410m, 6gb of RAM, and a 7200rpm mechanic hard drive.

Needless to say I'll get through it, but I would love to have $1000 to drop on a new lappy.
Here is a little tip if you have a small budget. Never ever buy a laptop for gaming. A stationary midi tower costume gaming PC for around $1500 will have the same or better benchmark score as gaming laptop for $3000 from alien ware.

And if you really in need of a laptop for school/work. Buy a cheap i3 laptop too just for that and you still save money.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-24 at 02:24 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion