News: Roadmap Resource Revamp & Continental Lattice Updated - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Get off the computer, and get on with your life.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-07-20, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Re: Roadmap Resource Revamp & Continental Lattice Updated

Wow. It seems that small outfits finally have a place in doing ANT runs and ambushing enemy ANTs.
Old 2013-07-20, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
GraniteRok
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

The proposed resource/power changes are intriguing. Looking forward to seeing more information about this.

The continent lattice change, nice but I have a concern. A faction gets home warpgated... What's the plan? They're camped and an entire faction is held at a warpgate? Not my idea of fun. Remember the warpgate camps in PS1? Without the capability of forming up in a Sanctuary and creating an unpredictable attack somewhere, like we had in PS1, a gated and camped faction will either not play or go fourth faction. Not good in my books.
Old 2013-07-20, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
ComerEste
Corporal

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
Hold the phone, I just realized that this would make attacking much more difficult. You'd run out of consumable and vehicle resources REAL FAST while on the offensive, since you're not gaining resources from the enemy facility.

HOWEVER! Why not just bring the ANT with you? Deploy it in enemy territory, and it gets a small radius (few hundred meters) within which players will gain resources. The ANT's resources will deplete over time depending on player resupply count, naturally. And since ANTs show up on the map, they'll become targets to take out and cut attackers' resources off with!

(The fact that they're visible on the map would also allow the ANT to have a radius larger than a few feet, since you could move the ANT further away and give it a larger radius without taking it out of the battle... because the battle will come to the ANT.)
Wow, and the idea just keeps getting deeper. If I could like or thumbs up your post 1,000 times I would.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-07-20, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Attackers are supplied by adjacent linked friendly facilities. If none then income is zero.
Old 2013-07-20, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by GraniteRok View Post
The continent lattice change, nice but I have a concern. A faction gets home warpgated... What's the plan? They're camped and an entire faction is held at a warpgate? Not my idea of fun. Remember the warpgate camps in PS1? Without the capability of forming up in a Sanctuary and creating an unpredictable attack somewhere, like we had in PS1, a gated and camped faction will either not play or go fourth faction. Not good in my books.
Sanctuaries would be nice but they would be "hand crafted" and take about 3 years to complete all 3 of them. I was hoping the BI's would link to a forth WG on amer, indar and esam but I guess that would take too much time also.
Old 2013-07-20, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Oh boy, thats a lot to digest.
Old 2013-07-20, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by GraniteRok View Post
The proposed resource/power changes are intriguing. Looking forward to seeing more information about this.

As we know from ps1, if one empire is in danger then the other two empires will cooperate unofficially to make it worse. There's no quarter given to the underdog in Planetside.

The only 'out' an underdog has is when they lose enough territory that the other two empires a forces to fight each other.

With this it might all work out and I'm pretty happy atm.
Old 2013-07-20, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
MarlboroManE
Private

100% looking forward to the Continental Lattice.

Cautiously optimistic about the resource redesign. Currently resource have a negligible impact on the game ... this adds an entirely new dynamic, and one that I think will add depth. Depth is good. Also, Malorn mentions that it should be easy to understand, which is critical - we don't need to make things any harder on new players, ya know?
Old 2013-07-20, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
lovepack
Private

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Attackers are supplied by adjacent linked friendly facilities. If none then income is zero.
Will we be able to get resources through XP? If not there goes my play style .
Old 2013-07-20, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I am super excited about these changes. It gets my vote.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-07-20, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by lovepack View Post
Will we be able to get resources through XP? If not there goes my play style .
No, that would go away. Its unnecessary complexity and instability. Its existence is insulation against denial effects. You simply get income at a steady rate from the supplying facility.
Old 2013-07-20, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

If ANT runs are gonna be a thing in PS2, we need better AA, and probably those fancy new domes over Auraxium mining sites. I expect a lot of suicide aircraft to shrug off incoming flak and machineguns to afterburn dive-bomb mining vehicles with C4.
Old 2013-07-20, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

So the amount of resources you are gaining per minute, is determined by the power level of the bases around you? If so then I believe it works like this....

So if I'm in the warpgate I'm gaining them at a 100% rate, constant full power facility.

If I'm in a small cluster of several territories outside the warpgate and they are all at full power, I'm getting 100% rate.

If we own the entire continent I'm getting 100%

The only time I'm gaining a reduced rate of resources is when I'm defending a base, and I'm assuming it would be reduced when fighting a base. The amount I'm getting isn't involved with the capture of the continent at all, it's only lowering resources when I'm in action.

I'm really hoping that percentage is based off of how many territories you own, and it just drops a small percentage when there's less power at your nearby facility. So you still have the carrot on the stick of more land = higher resource gain, but now we have another tactical element of resupplying power to combat areas, more land = more power.

Planetside 1's slogan of For Land. For Power. Forever. would totally work here now
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2013-07-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 2013-07-20, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Mordelicius
Major

- Power Supply Lines sound great. I like they are adding logistics now.

Drawback: I expect a rise in vehicle team killing with this. They need to buff up the grief report system in anticipation of this.
Vehicles need ownership tag and kill tag so we know who's doing the shenanigans.

I see vehicles blocking paths to the charging/dumping station to players alts being abused to add to power drain.

Drawback2: As some would say, how do attackers get their resources if they are in an unfriendly hex? I fear this could turn into Defenseside, where players only go on defense to get their resources.

- Continent Lattice (current design). I'm wondering if the spread out population is enough with the added continent + BI. So, are we expecting more server mergers?

Drawback: Home base is bad. Forcing players to play in certain continent is a terrible design. Give us an alternative Warpgate "locking" mechanism that is player-driven. I've suggested before a mechanism of pushing WGs in a WG-BI-WG line (where the BI WG is only activated when a WG is captured, thereby "pushed" into the BIWG). If WG has been pushed twice, it becomes "locked". This removes the necessity for a locked, Dev mandated "Home Base".

Drawback 2: No rotation? Allow Home base rotation. Many players prefer Indar, such as myself. Esamir and Amerish have their fans as well. Simply locking a continent to a faction is inane. Rotate them like every 4-6 months.

- More Server Merges. Hopefully, in case they merge Waterson and Mattherson, they keep the Waterson name. Waterson has a very balanced culture not allowing one faction to just dominate. Mattherson is too Vanu centric. I fear if Waterson is absorbed into Mattherson, it will take a long time to erode the Vanu-centric culture there.

It took NC months to push back on the TR and Vanu heavy influences in Waterson and it happened since the game has only been released.
Old 2013-07-20, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Will we have a proper ANT vehicle or something pandering to easymode such as prowlers with ant modules.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion