Religion - Page 26 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where people with lives aren't welcome
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-22, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #376
Saerain
Private

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I run around making claims that have no backing? YOU base your theory on facts presented in the most logical fashion by people who are BARELY more intelligent than you. That makes you have backing? Because it has logic?
Because it has evidence.

You and everyone else who denies a 'god' is in denial to the fact there could POSSIBLY be a deity. YOU cling on any POTENTIAL facts for a theory or hypothesis that has been created, by humans, that can explain everything today. Then swear it's perfected and true.
Psychological projection at its best.

Sorry brother, they don't even know what the missing link in evolution is.
That's because the term is nonsensical in context. No one complaining about there being a ‘missing link’ can seem to explain what the hell they mean. You seem to think like this:

So you can prove there is NO God?
Nope. Do you generally go around believing things because they can't be disproven? I can propose to you an effectively infinite number of unfalsifiable claims to make your life even more magical, if that's your thing.

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Duke Nukem is profoundly ignorant.
I had to unignore you to read this? Really?
Yes, you had to unignore someone to read about how ignorant you are. It's poetic, really.

Now saying that and being 100% COMPLETELY open minded to your suggestions because I CAN believe I am wrong.. There MAY be no god.

What should I read or learn that can convince me without any doubt what so ever that there is no God?

Show me this, I'll bow down in humble ignorance and declare you my savior for opening my eyes.
Do you not think atheists are open to new evidence, or do you contend that it is more rational to believe something without evidence until it is disproven rather than to wait for evidence to be revealed?

Again, do you treat anything else in your life in such a reversed-logic way? If not, why the special treatment for a theistic claim?

2000 years ago it would NOT have been possible because 2000 years ago the weather was no where NEAR this extreme
How on Earth do you figure?

Didn't they, in the past five years, decide history books were wrong and Pluto isn't a planet anymore?
Pluto was reclassified to a dwarf planet, but you misunderstand why if you think testing rocks would change anything. None of our information changed to affect the decision. It's the same size we thought it was and has the same orbit we thought it had when we simply called it a planet. This was just part of an effort to clean up our classifications of objects in the solar system and nail down the definition of planet where previously it had been a fuzzy word. For a very long time, we knew Pluto was smaller than larger objects we already didn't call planets. It was reclassified for consistency, not because anything was ‘wrong’.

You have to draw the line between planets and smaller objects somewhere, and for a long time Pluto had been an exception for no good reason. Reclassifying Pluto was the least disruptive solution to a purely organizational discrepancy.

I really don't understand why people care about it, either. Like we've hurt Pluto's feelings.

WHAT... created... THAT?! is my question. how can it just BE?!

EVERY, SINGLE, FUCKING, POSSIBLE EXPLANATION has been brought forth in this 27 page thread. No one .. not one fucking person can answer... WHERE.. the FUCK.. did ..THAT.. come from. WHO created THAT.
How does inserting a creative intelligence at the Big Bang reduce, rather than hugely inflate, that very problem? You're saying it's too complex to ‘just be’ whilst countering with a proposal of an entity that is by definition even more complex.

What created God? Oh, it just is, huh?

Come on. Work from the ground, up.

Last edited by Saerain; 2012-03-22 at 08:44 AM.
Old 2012-03-22, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #377
Figment
Lieutenant General

*claps* Well said Saerian. You know what a fun excercise is? Atheists/Agnostics have to defend the existence of Greek Gods and modern creationists have to prove they are not real. Always enjoy that. Funniest bit is where we can explain dinosaurs as being slain by Hercules, or whatever other Greek hero we can think of.

Hey Duke, you asked for my reasoning, I gave a good bit of it (twice now), no comments on the reasoning? >_>

Last edited by Figment; 2012-03-22 at 08:47 AM.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #378
Checowsky
Corporal

Duke just think a minute before posting again, the burden of proof is on you, when you claim something exists its not for the people you've told to prove that it doesn't exist.

That and the history of science you're going against.

Heres a nice series to watch on stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...B&feature=plcp

Oh and also the founding fathers weren't all that god fearing tbh. I can find the quotes if you want but for now I'm off to work.

Last edited by Checowsky; 2012-03-22 at 10:28 AM.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #379
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Clearly this thread will answer all "god-or-not" questions once and for all. It will be written in stone and referenced to for generations, until humanity finally decides to erase itself from this planet.

Well done.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #380
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post
Clearly this thread will answer all "god-or-not" questions once and for all. It will be written in stone and referenced to for generations, until humanity finally decides to erase itself from this planet.

Well done.
LOL This is the only post I have laughed at in this whole shit parade.

Well done sir. Well played. Well fought.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #381
Hamma
PSU Admin

Well I am glad that has been settled then!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-22, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #382
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post

Well done.
Then the stone tablet will be rediscovered by some guy, translated into 17th century English, then mysteriously destroyed. It will start a new religion called moregodism.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #383
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
The point of all of this is that Atheism is a small group that is gaining speed because in our unfortunate country, the majority 80% that believe in God are being punished for their beliefs by a progressive left government that caters to the minority.
You think that Atheists are a small group??

Boy, you are really sheltered.

Look outside the US for once.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-03-22, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #384
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

In what way are Christians being punished in the USA? I don't understand that. What decisions by the Obama administration have been anti-Christian?

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
You think that Atheists are a small group??
They are small in the US. What's more, because "atheist" doesn't say anything about the people themselves, they aren't at all a unified sort of demographic. So there is no "atheist lobby", or anything like that, and therefore atheists have zero power to affect policy. The best atheist groups can ever do is to challenge religious stuff which violates the Constitution, like for example Ten Commandments being displayed on government property in that one courthouse incident from some years back.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-22 at 03:25 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #385
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I think there are a lot more atheists in the US than many people believe.

According to polls
15% of the adult population has no religious belief or affiliation.
5.2% either didn't reply or "didn't know"
The rest have an affiliation with some kind of religious group

I know that I'm still technically "affiliated" with the catholic church, but I don't believe in a god. I have many friends who are in the same boat. I think a lot of people go to church out of an obligation to feel accepted and appear "normal".

Go to a catholic church on any sunday and look at the amount of people there.
Then go to that same church on Christmas day. It probably quadrupled.

I'm sure at least 30%-50% of those people that only attend Christmas/Easter have no, or very little, belief in a god.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know

Last edited by NivexQ; 2012-03-22 at 03:40 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #386
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It seems to vary a great deal between polls. But either way, the good news is that the numbers are declining. Few more decades and being a weirdo Christian who thinks gay marriage should be illegal and women shouldn't be able to use birth control or have abortions will be as passe as being a Klansman is now.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #387
Saerain
Private

One of many areas in which the US has a lot of catching up to do with the rest of the developed world. Let's hustle, eh?
Double exponential of the velocity of computing measured in CPS/unit cost, a.k.a. the law of accelerating returns wherein Moore's law's curve itself rides on a second curve, i.e. the rate of exponential growth grows exponentially.
Old 2012-03-23, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #388
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It's just a matter of time. As more and more people grow up with the Internet, religion will become further marginalized. It'll be a problem in the US for longer than most other places, but it can't be stopped. The march of free information is the death of ignorance and superstition and, therefore, religion.
Old 2012-03-23, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #389
TheSHiFT
Staff Sergeant

I wont say give it up guys, but you will not change a lifetime of indoctrination and willful ignorance w/ a few logic based posts. Especially if they dont even understand simple logic.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #390
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
It's just a matter of time. As more and more people grow up with the Internet, religion will become further marginalized. It'll be a problem in the US for longer than most other places, but it can't be stopped. The march of free information is the death of ignorance and superstition and, therefore, religion.
You couldn't be more right, I'd probably still believe in God if the internet did not exist. Without it I am bound by the information supported by the people around me whom happen to be very religious.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum