Old image revisited: Do we know what this is now? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got pink?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-29, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
duck
Sergeant

Old image revisited: Do we know what this is now?

It's a pretty old concept art, one of the first to be released. Based off what we know now, does anyone know what that massive flying object is? Is PS2 trying to borrow the Titan concept from 2142 and incorporating it somehow into the game? Did Higby say what it is yet?
Old 2012-03-29, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Atheosim
Captain

Re: Old image revisited: Do we know what this is now?

There's been no word on it, but I know some devs have said that space/orbital functionality of some sort is a dream of theirs and is being considered for a post launch possibility.
Old 2012-03-29, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

That also looks like a city, and there are no known cities, as opposed to bases, right?
Old 2012-03-29, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
cellinaire
Captain

Still shrouded in mystery. No words on whether that's got canned or not.
Old 2012-03-29, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
That also looks like a city, and there are no known cities, as opposed to bases, right?
God I want cities in the game so much. Right now tanks are a superfluous part of gameplay in my opinion, they're only useful as a defensive tool, not an offensive one. Tanks/armour in warfare in general are area denial weapons, they serve as active deterrents to infantry and force them to remain in cover/hidden as they'll quickly be annihilated by the armour. Their purpose is to sit in open areas and play an impassable passive role, and to engage other armour to remove their passive role as area denial also. It is inherently a defensive weapon, with air support and infantry really playing core offensive roles.

Armour only really serves the purpose of an offensive weapon in warfare today during block by block city warfare, with armour providing a rear guard and rolling powerhouse for mechanized infantry that push through streets block by block.

Without landscape that suits such pushing through, tanks are relegated to one role really, that of fighting in the open plains. I'd really like to see armour get a much more active role in supporting proper mechanized infantry pushes, only cities and town-like landscapes would allow for that to happen though.

PS gets a lot of things right, but armour and their offensive role in warfare are under appreciated as a result of this missing landscape in the game.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-29, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Halon
Private

Concept art is concept art. A possible glimpse at what the devs have in mind for their 5 year plan? I think the fans want the airship to be a sort of outfit base. Anything at this point is speculation and I doubt the devs will have time to flesh this out more until after launch.
Old 2012-03-29, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Ceryshen is supposed to be an urbanized continent this time, so we'll see what they do with that.
Old 2012-03-29, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Furber
First Sergeant

A fully upgraded Quad
Old 2012-03-29, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
cellinaire
Captain

Ya I also guess that's for the 5-year plan they have available.
Old 2012-03-29, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea sadly we don't know a whole lot more about that than we did at Fan Faire.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-29, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Not yet. From vague descriptions sounds like Esamir will have city ruins, not just outposts apparently.

I'd love to see a whole continent with huge urban areas.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-03-29, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
God I want cities in the game so much. Right now tanks are a superfluous part of gameplay in my opinion, they're only useful as a defensive tool, not an offensive one. Tanks/armour in warfare in general are area denial weapons, they serve as active deterrents to infantry and force them to remain in cover/hidden as they'll quickly be annihilated by the armour. Their purpose is to sit in open areas and play an impassable passive role, and to engage other armour to remove their passive role as area denial also. It is inherently a defensive weapon, with air support and infantry really playing core offensive roles.

Armour only really serves the purpose of an offensive weapon in warfare today during block by block city warfare, with armour providing a rear guard and rolling powerhouse for mechanized infantry that push through streets block by block.

Without landscape that suits such pushing through, tanks are relegated to one role really, that of fighting in the open plains. I'd really like to see armour get a much more active role in supporting proper mechanized infantry pushes, only cities and town-like landscapes would allow for that to happen though.

PS gets a lot of things right, but armour and their offensive role in warfare are under appreciated as a result of this missing landscape in the game.
Rommel and Patton would disagree with you.
Old 2012-03-29, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
Not yet. From vague descriptions sounds like Esamir will have city ruins, not just outposts apparently.

I'd love to see a whole continent with huge urban areas.
I kind of suspect that cities would be filled with capture points and infantry only spawns...now your first thought is, OMG infantry meatgrind, but not necessarily.

Besides, that would just mean that both attackers and defenders have to bring vehicles from the outside.

Here's the real question, would there be any benefit to holding a city, then?

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-29 at 08:33 PM.
Old 2012-03-29, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

I have recently been considering the possibility of having the large crafts be the basis behind the empire footholds, having them be mobile and destructible, maximum number at once being equal to the total number of continents.

There should also be cities, tall buildings, alleyways, maybe some sewer tunnels added in future continents.
Old 2012-03-29, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
In a city area (Indoors/windows) without destructible buildings, armor is at a severe disadvantage.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion