Just a thought about cities. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Prefered by spammers everywhere.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-26, 10:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Gugabalog
Major

Re: Just a thought about cities.

Wait wait wait. WHERE ARE THE VANU CITIES?????

I mean surely they had cities or something if they built all the nano-infrastructure.

Last edited by Gugabalog; 2012-07-26 at 10:27 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Buren
Private

I can't imagine the tech is here at the moment to make appropriately sized cities. If they tried, it would likely be a poor attempt and come up short. Better not to have any at all for the time being.

Maybe with the scaling capabilities of ForgeLight it will be possible to add as a new continent later on down the road.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Harasus
Sergeant

Guys, all the humans came to Auraxis 170 years ago. There were maybe 60 000 of them back then, although my memory is a bit shady. The entire population on Auraxis now would be maybe 100 000 - 200 000 total.

Cities are unlikely to exist, at all, with such a small population.

And no, not everyone in the expedition came from the military. The majority were probably scientists and civilians of all kinds.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gugabalog
Major

Yea. It seems like it would be similar to the canyon, only with alcoves dug into the cliff faces.
Old 2012-07-27, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
Gameplay wise, I'd love a continent like that, though I'd see no appeal to it if all buildings could not be entered. Its definitively a big part of the appeal of urban environments to enter buildings. Though I can certainly see how that is a lot of work.
Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Yeah, the only way to do it right would be to have an "urban continent". By the way, if they did that, and then made 90% of the buildings completely unenterable = fail. If it's just going to be giant cubes all over the map, even if they're pretty cubes, that would somewhat defeat the point of having the "city".
Unfortunately, they couldn't allow players to enter most buildings, that would be murder on everyone's systems. Sure, it seems cheap, but they're there for effect and as terrain, not to give infantry 20+ floors x buildings of vantage points.

The alternative is to simply except the clusters of smaller buildings around towers and bases as the urban environment.
Old 2012-07-27, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Solidblock
Staff Sergeant

The TR on the space fleet also implemented a curfew after the NC took over a small military vessel. Even 2 centuries wasn't enough for them to lift this curfew and thus cities would simply be an invitation to organise and revolt. Cities are almost always the starting point of a revolution.
Old 2014-08-21, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
NikTeccon
Private

As the comments on this topic are quite old: Does anyone know if there a plans for a "Megacity-Continent" or mothership map, or even adding cities/civil infrastructure to the current continents, or something else in this direction?
Old 2014-08-21, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by NikTeccon View Post
As the comments on this topic are quite old: Does anyone know if there a plans for a "Megacity-Continent" or mothership map, or even adding cities/civil infrastructure to the current continents, or something else in this direction?
Very very recently they demo'd a concept of a city battle isle. I believe they intend to develop it.

It was essentially based on a grid pattern using existing assets. A lot of people watching went 'wow' but I thought that it may not fight very well. They need to think it through carefully.
Old 2014-08-21, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Canaris
Contributor
General

this is from a recent WIP blog about a urban map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOarUSoSF2c

and here is the latest discussion about new conts on PS-U.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=58273

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2014-08-21 at 10:36 AM.
Old 2014-08-21, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Could call it Isle of Cod!
Old 2014-08-21, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

We are fighting over control of the nanites.

Old 2014-09-13, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
Wait wait wait. WHERE ARE THE VANU CITIES?????

I mean surely they had cities or something if they built all the nano-infrastructure.
/blinks, rubs eyes

Your sig hurts my head.

You did that on purpose, didn't you? You annoying purple bastard... yes, YOU WERE RUNNING AROUND CAPPING RANDOM TOWERS TEN YEARS AGO just to piss me off and now you have your SIMULATED 3D BRAIN-HURTING SIG for the same reason! And you always know when I'm reloading...! YOU ONLY ATTACK ME WHEN I'M RELOADING! I HATE YOU! I HATE -- !

/froths at the mouth
/dies of Vanoob-related aneurysm
/respawns
/starts frothing at the mouth again

Oh, and uh... yes, an urban environment would be pretty neato. Maybe with one or two places on intermediate floors you could access and fight over, like the basements in the old PS1 bases, and a roof you could stand on. Block after block of blasted and decaying civilian housing, left over from the days before everyone became a constantly reincarnating militant with a life expectancy of thirty seconds....

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2014-09-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2014-09-15, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Canaris
Contributor
General

another WIP with the urban map at the start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc-J...gZdbRp7lo9wscz

wow look at how much they've done with the concept from the other WIP, seriously great job Devin and the level designers
There's so much potential there. I was looking at the tunnel you made and I just wanted to throw a "parking garage/ basement entrance" idea for some of the important buildings.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2014-09-15, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
ringring
Contributor
General

I don't get the excitement over this. It's a City, which we've seen before in other games.

The question is how it will fight and it seems to be the answer is not very well.

For a start they've thrown out all the lessons of all the previous maps they've built. The city is a huge map with no obvious fighting lines, your enemy could come from anywhere and any direction. To me it looks like a recipe for an enormous fight that will last forever without coming to a conclusion.
Old 2014-09-15, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I watched the start of that "WIP" video Canaris posted and i was wondering (again) why they don't release that map editor for us to fool around with?

Considering the maps are still wank for the most parts and the game still lacks even the minimum amount of maps to create a "proper" intercontinental lattice (And i really don't see that improving in any foreseeable future - how long did Hossin take them again?) the community could really improve this game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion