The devs went back on their word but for once but it's a good thing. 'cus sun cloak. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We see your stuff!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-08-05, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

The devs went back on their word but for once but it's a good thing. 'cus sun cloak.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...oaking/cjf12v9

That's right folks, more PS1 is coming into PS2. The very thing the devs decided they didn't want to do with PS2.

Suns are going to get cloak. Which is a good goooood thing. And with shield, it will give people the option to choose between the two. So yay, balance and decisions and consequences and all that other good stuff. And now you actually have to plan and think to blow up suns and not just run up to it with C4 and you have to find them.

This is the thing that's going to bring me back to PS2, at least for a bit. Now all that's needed is for the more silly things to be fixed and I might actually stay (Seriously, tanks going as fast backwards as forwards? How does that not encourage people to drive back away from fights at choke points?)
Old 2014-08-05, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mietz
First Sergeant

Re: The devs went back on their word but for once but it's a good thing. 'cus sun clo

This was predictable because the devs have been slowly turning PS2 into PS1 with new GFX since the population crash of 2013.

Since a few months post launch:

"We should have a lattice because this influence hex system isnt really working well for meta and besides it worked great in PS1" - "nah guys we can fix the influence system with base locking, and this is PS2!"
6 moths later: "Yeah turns out we cant fix this, lets make a lattice"

Intercontinental lattice is on roadmap now.

"Guys we think that all these resources are superfluous and using vehicle timers as well is really breaking the flow individually and on a meta empire level, besides ps1 had that and it worked fine" - "nah its fine and it just needs some 'fine tuning'"
10 months later: "Heres our brand new(TM) resource system that removes all the resources and vehicle timers"

ANTs are on the roadmap now.

"Guys the TTK in this game is way too low for all the avenues of attack and newbs are seriously leaving in droves. PS1 had this really nailed with slightly longer TTK" - "nah its fine cus thats how BF3 is and we know BF3 is a really great game that everyone likes playing"
12 Months later: "Check our new roadmap point 'reduction of lethality of all classes and vehicles!'"

etc. etc.

My prediction for 2015?

-The removal of classes and class loadouts with the introduction of an inventory system like PS1. (its almost there now anyways)
-Reintroduction of specialized certifications for drivers/pilots.
-MBTs get a new gunner seat thats optional and can be certed, except for the Mag, the mag gets its main gun replaced with an AI/AV machinegun and its VS specific turrets get a buff.

BFRs in 2017.

Last edited by Mietz; 2014-08-05 at 01:18 PM.
Old 2014-08-05, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: The devs went back on their word but for once but it's a good thing. 'cus sun clo

Man, if the devs just listened from the start, we wouldn't have to have spent all this time waiting for them to fix what isn't broken and what's going to get added anyway. I'm face palming myself so hard right now.

Old 2014-08-05, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ZephyrBurst
Private

I'm liking some of the reintroduction of PS1 mechanics, but ugh, an inventory system wouldn't work too well with PS2. It's just faster paced than PS1 was and would slow the game down.

I like a Diablo style inventory, but I like the simpler approach PS2 takes more in regards to how PS2 functions. I think that aspect of it is fine.
Old 2014-08-05, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Chefkoch
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mietz View Post
This was predictable because the devs have been slowly turning PS2 into PS1 with new GFX since the population crash of 2013.

Since a few months post launch:

"We should have a lattice because this influence hex system isnt really working well for meta and besides it worked great in PS1" - "nah guys we can fix the influence system with base locking, and this is PS2!"
6 moths later: "Yeah turns out we cant fix this, lets make a lattice"

Intercontinental lattice is on roadmap now.

"Guys we think that all these resources are superfluous and using vehicle timers as well is really breaking the flow individually and on a meta empire level, besides ps1 had that and it worked fine" - "nah its fine and it just needs some 'fine tuning'"
10 months later: "Heres our brand new(TM) resource system that removes all the resources and vehicle timers"

ANTs are on the roadmap now.

"Guys the TTK in this game is way too low for all the avenues of attack and newbs are seriously leaving in droves. PS1 had this really nailed with slightly longer TTK" - "nah its fine cus thats how BF3 is and we know BF3 is a really great game that everyone likes playing"
12 Months later: "Check our new roadmap point 'reduction of lethality of all classes and vehicles!'"

etc. etc.

My prediction for 2015?

-The removal of classes and class loadouts with the introduction of an inventory system like PS1. (its almost there now anyways)
-Reintroduction of specialized certifications for drivers/pilots.
-MBTs get a new gunner seat thats optional and can be certed, except for the Mag, the mag gets its main gun replaced with an AI/AV machinegun and its VS specific turrets get a buff.

BFRs in 2017.
Haha sad but true.

I hope they go back to a non class system. Thats what made Planetside so unique in the first place.

Now lets make real sancs and be done with it
Old 2014-08-05, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Crator
Major General

Really happy to hear they are going to add the old cloak bubble back for the AMS! Nothing said there about if it will have guns on it. Can't imagine a cloaked Sundy being able to shoot it's guns if it does have them...
Old 2014-08-05, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Really happy to hear they are going to add the old cloak bubble back for the AMS! Nothing said there about if it will have guns on it. Can't imagine a cloaked Sundy being able to shoot it's guns if it does have them...
Why not? Just have the Sun reveal itself when it shoots to compensate. And of course, I imagine cloak will only be active when deployed.
Old 2014-08-05, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Chefkoch View Post

Now lets make real sancs and be done with it
It will probably arrive on the roadmap after they are done with the intercontinental lattice and Battle Islands.
Old 2014-08-05, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ZephyrBurst View Post
I'm liking some of the reintroduction of PS1 mechanics, but ugh, an inventory system wouldn't work too well with PS2. It's just faster paced than PS1 was and would slow the game down.

I like a Diablo style inventory, but I like the simpler approach PS2 takes more in regards to how PS2 functions. I think that aspect of it is fine.
I'm sure they will leave the "presets" or "loadouts" you can chose in the infantry console.

All I want is to be able to bring a healing tool AND a repair tool. Or to bring two separate primary guns, like a shotgun and an LMG. Or two rocket launchers for AA and AV.

They are already introducing LMG and shotgun pistols with this update anyways so its not balance thats holding the classless system back.
Old 2014-08-05, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The Buscloak will likely be an advanced cert on top of the AMS cert. I just hope the cloak removes the need to cert stealth.

Old 2014-08-08, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Well, what's a few years of wasted time and money between friends, right?

Going guns cold when the cloak is up and guns hot 5 to 10 seconds after the cloak drops would be alright. Personally make that a random time between 5 and 15 seconds, as sort of a "switching the power system over" thing. Perhaps cert it down to 2 to 8 seconds with a "Power Systems Efficiency" cert line.

Still would like to see more done with the Galaxy. It was fun as an AMS in beta.
Old 2014-08-08, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Azzzz
Corporal

All I can say is....wow that shield sundy is a pain to take down.

Takes 7-8 deci rockets to take it down.

It varies with tank mines, usually around 7-10 to fully take it down. 10 apparently does it for sure according to the test time in the VR but who really has the time to drop that many before getting killed...

Overall, I'm happy yet wondering if a nerf is coming. It's good that a sundy isn't made of paper when the shield is activated resulting in prolonged fights yet for small fights, man that thing is a pain to take down, if not annoyingly so.

Good stuff.
Old 2014-08-08, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Nice find on Reddit! I'm so happy to hear the Sunderer cloaking fields will be returned!
Old 2014-08-09, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Reduction in lethality? I actually really like where the infantry TTK is.
Old 2014-08-09, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The only reduction in lethality needed is the removal of headshots. They add way too much RNG.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion