Tweet hints at FPS numbers - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The REAL reason you flunked 5th grade
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-29, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Tweet hints at FPS numbers

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
I've always thought of my rig as either mid range or slightly below... but I'm not the best with hardware.

Q8200
8GB Ram
GTX 570 and 9800 GT

I've got friends with crazy SLI rigs that make me feel emasculated but then again most of them only have 1 or 2 screens.
Your CPU's slightly dated, but the vast majority of people aren't going to have anything better than 8GB RAM and a 570.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

As others have mentioned, a mid-range machine isn't easy to define, but I generally consider mid-range as something that was state of the art two years ago.

Of course an excellent tool is Valve's hardware survey:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

I don't have time to calculate it exactly, but it looks like the average gamer's hardware is between 2-3 years old. If we can run PS2 on "average" machines, I think it will be an incredible success.
Old 2012-04-29, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I've got:

i7 950 3.07Ghz
6GB DDR3 2100 <--- If that number is the NB frequency...?
Radeon HD 5850

Nothing OCed...Any thoughts from someone more knowledgeable than me (probably anyone on the forum )?
Old 2012-04-30, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Jimmuc
Corporal

anyone with an quad core, 4 gigs ram, and an decent graphics card can play any game with decent fps. most games don't even use more than 2 cores and unless PS2 is programmed as an 64bit program than its not even gonna use more than 2-4 gigs ram. yarr

myself only have an AMD 64 x2 4200, 2 gigs ddr2, and an HD 5770 1gig. got new motherboard recently so only need is new ram and cpu
Old 2012-04-30, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

I consider my computer to be a low mid-end as it has some aging parts but still runs recent games:

Gigabyte P45-DS4 motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
4Gb RAM DDR2
ATI Radeon HD5850 (more recent than the rest)

But I'm going to change it soon for some high-end stuff (except the graphic card, as it still has enough guts)

Last edited by Sabrak; 2012-04-30 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2012-04-30, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Toppopia
Major

Intel Core i7 CPU q720 @ 1.60GHz, 4 cores, 8 logic processors.
RAM 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M

Does this mean my latop is in the Lower-High region?
I think the only thing that lets me down is the graphics card because games like World in Conflict i can't run on highest detail which i a shame because i would like to see washing machines fly out of buildings when hit by artillery shells

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-04-30 at 04:49 AM.
Old 2012-04-30, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
I remember running my 286/12 (with a Turbo button!) off floppies as well. And then installing the 20Meg hard disk with DOS 3.2! I even had EGA graphics!
I remember myself playing on Monocrhome screen playing king quest 1 typing : open door etc... lolllllll

and the revolution of EGA and also my first adlib sound card and first VGA monitor with the great looking game call King quest V lol It was so revolutionarry for me to play and hear the sound of bees etc.. with my precious Adlib sound card it was the first time i was not playing on PC speakers hahaha !

We are now far from that !
Old 2012-04-30, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Stew
Major

I will say it wasn't your daddy's 486DX50, that's for sure.
Serious question so Is the game is running at 100 fps + with Vsync ? and antialising ?

Also i would like to know if is there with many players on screen or just running around ?
Old 2012-04-30, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Low end:
E8400
Gefore 9600 GT
2 GB Ram

Mid:
Q9550
GTX 280
4 GB Ram

High:
Some Fancy I7 or I5
GTX 480 and Above
8 GB Ram.

Got myself a Q9550, 4 GB of DDR2 Ram, and about to switch my GTX 280 for a GTX 570 (currently in shipping ). Hope i can run the game with rather high settings. :/
Will add another 4 GB of ram at some point, but the CPU cant be changed without a new Main Board, and then i need new Ram as well. :/
Are we 3 years ago ?

I think the high setting will require at least gtx560 ti

and ultra GTX570 to GTX680

Resolution and antialiasing and vertical sync and tesselation ( if available ) will always eat some performance

But since Nvidia as release the (( adaptive vertical sync setting )) on Gtx 500 and 600 series It can help a lots with perfomance drop ! The vertical sync adaptive is Great !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-04-30 at 05:13 AM.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
bjorntju1
Captain

I got:

E8400 OC'd to 3.5 GHz
GTX 580
4GB ram
600 GB 7200rpm HDD

I recently upgraded my GPU from 2 HD4870's. Now I want to upgrade my CPU, ram and motherboard in the near future. I also want to add an SSD.
Old 2012-04-30, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Intel Core i7 CPU q720 @ 1.60GHz, 4 cores, 8 logic processors.
RAM 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M

Does this mean my latop is in the Lower-High region?
I think the only thing that lets me down is the graphics card because games like World in Conflict i can't run on highest detail which i a shame because i would like to see washing machines fly out of buildings when hit by artillery shells
You have a decent CPU, but the problem is the GPU. With that I would probably say the lower end region. GT 230 was already low end technically when it was released a few years ago.
Old 2012-04-30, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
WellWisherELF
Corporal

- I think we would all be very interested to hear what you folks think of as a mid-level machine
<end personal note>
I upgraded my PC about 2 years ago, so I would assume my PC would qualify as "mid-level".

Phenom x4 945 3.0 GHz
GTX 460
4gb ram

High would probably be an i5 or i7, 8gb ram, and a 500 or 600 level card.
Old 2012-04-30, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

@CyclesMcHurtz

Has SOE ever collected hardware data from the Station Launcher/Game launchers to determine what their current playerbase has for PC configurations? Something similar to the Steam survey.
Old 2012-04-30, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
CTheRain
Corporal

CPU: Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.38GHz
RAM: DDR2 8GB 800MHz
Video Card: GTX 570

Will I be able to run it?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-30, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Has SOE ever collected hardware data from the Station Launcher/Game launchers to determine what their current playerbase has for PC configurations? Something similar to the Steam survey.
I'm not in a related department, so I don't know about any survey anything. I (and most gamers probably) have looked at several sources with info about what people have.

My question was different.

I've seen many people talk about different machines on these forums, and any survey will tell you what people HAVE, but these surveys never say how people FEEL about them. I was genuinely curious (on a personal note) what people consider a mid-level machine. At home, I have quite the spread from a somewhat old 1.8GHz single-core 64 bit machine with a 8600GT (it's a linux box for fun - Oolite!) through several machines up to my laptop (the best machine at home right now) with an i7/560M and a 1080p screen.

I know what these machines are capable of, and I know the performance from a serious coder/electronics geek level. I see my family discuss how their machines work, and then there's the developers - who often have phenomenal hardware for developing because compiling takes serious Storage and CPU power these days.

My laptop can handle some modern games pretty well at 720p resolutions and medium settings (which I personally am fine with) - and I play a few at full 1920x1080 at a moderate frame rate (~30fps). I'm fine with that at home right now.

I think the results so far point to a small variation on what people consider a "mid-level" machine. I know my view is fairly skewed based on the awesome hardware we have access to, but we also have many other machines to test with and I'd like to make sure my second machine here is a mid-level. I don't consider it fair to truly test performance in general on my dev box.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion