Is it too late to make make this the air ground relationship? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I think the ANT drivers use crank to stay awake....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-01, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Is it too late to make make this the air ground relationship?

proposal

1 AA turrets lethal out to 250 meters and useless beyond.

2 Libs lethal up to 300 meters and useless beyond

3 ESF only have A2A style weapons and a slow ROF but powerful tank buster AP shells - no AOE and no scattershot.

4/5 -Improve the ability of AA ability of the Basilisk to be moderately effective against aircraft inside 200 meters.
-Make the Walker into to a slightly more powerful basilisk with a range of 350 meters(like a Basilisk it could be used on all targets).

5 Slightly improve the damage from rifles against aircraft

6 Nerf the range on the Burster to 350 meters

result

1 Attacking ground troops becomes more dangerous and and something that required a more coordinated attack effort by air.

2 Makes air safer from ground if when they arent making attacks

3 Makes the Walker more useful

4 Ground troops feel less like sitting ducks

Libs should be very powerful against ground troops - but they should also be in danger durring attack runs. With this change they would be forced to use some tactics and group maneuvers so they are not picked off one by one.
Also Libs would be less able to do high altitude sniping on infantry away from the main battle.

ESF would more more into the role we used to give fighter planes. They would primarily be for A2A and for tank busting. they would be safer in general from the ground. But they would be more vulnerable to normal ground fire if they decided to come in close for tank busting.

Turrets would be useful but only for defending locally.

Ground based AA(mobile) would not be especially powerful but it would be much more common.

EDIT: I forgot Galaxies.
Make them cheaper end tougher.
The more Galaxies we use in the game the more fun the game is for everyone.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2013-01-01 at 12:30 PM.
Old 2013-01-01, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Is it too late to make make this the air ground relationship?

Short answer, yes. I also don't like your model, but that's probably ancillary at this point.
Old 2013-01-01, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sunrock
Major

That would not be a good sulotion if you did not nerf the range of all the AA RPGs and Burster range too.

Besides the Rocket pods are already so nerfed that you need 16 rockets to kill 1 infantry that have full flack jacket. Making the nose gun more effective already.

Better solution would be to increase the range on some AA....

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-01-01 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

1 I listed nerfing burster range. If you think it should be nerfed more I might agree if you made a case.

2 Guided RPGs do not need a nerf - they are already the most useless weapon in the game.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Habulin
Private

In my opinion: As it is now it is fine. I think people want to have easier time to fight against aircraft in ground vehicles... Think about it. In which aspect are aircraft vehicles not superior against the ground ones? Making it easier to shot down aircraft would only lead to the game losing it's balance. Air will always be superior to ground no mater how you look at it.

Last edited by Habulin; 2013-01-01 at 01:14 PM.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Habulin View Post
In my opinion: As it is now it is fine. I think people want to have easier time to fight against aircraft in ground vehicles... Think about it. In which aspect are aircraft vehicles not superior against the ground ones? Making it easier to shot down aircraft would only lead to the game losing it's balance. Air will always be superior to ground no mater how you look at it.
"In which aspect are aircraft vehicles not superior against the ground ones?" Was that rhetorical, historical, or are you actually asking?

Aircraft don't fuck around inside AAA range for a very good reason. Pilots want to come home.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Habulin View Post

Honestly if you think the current situation which has infantry players retiring in droves is a good plan then your opinion isnt very valuable. The goal of the game design is to create a place that people come to and spend money - not to create a place which airt power rules because "thats the way it should be."

Its fine that you enjoy it - but its killing the game.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

A lot of people would agree it's detrimental to the experience. Few agree on a solution.

I think two things need to happen. The Skyguard needs to be improved to be commensurate with its resource cost and monofunctionality, and MAX draw distances need to be increased out to their burster range. That's the "fix stuff that's very obviously wrong" path. Then we see what shakes out.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rothnang
Major

Bursters should be the shortest range AA, not the longest range. It's idiotic to package the longest range AA guns into the one unit that won't render outside of 100 meters during a real battle to aircraft.
Old 2013-01-01, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sunrock
Major

Players that refuse to use any vehicle at any time? Really? Who in the world would have thought planetside would favor infantry over vehicles?

Infantry have it's place in this game as you need them to take bases because you can't influence the flag from a vehicle in a majority of the bases.

I have no problem with those that does not like the game stop playing it. But I have a pig problem with people that does not like the concept of game and want to change it to something completely different. especially if I like the current game concept.

Problem is that I know SOE all to well. If no one stands up to all this stupid ideas SOE will change the game to something totally unplayable as they have done with every single game they have run during the last 14 years.
Old 2013-01-01, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

AA needs a CoF reduction and there you have it. It is otherwise balanced.

But other points - "well, maybe" is all I can say, tbh.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-01, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rodel
Sergeant

Paper says to rock. "Sissors are OP."
Old 2013-01-01, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Rodel View Post
lol I need to remember to quote that. Was really good.
Old 2013-01-01, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Many of you are not understanding the nature why people are leaving with respect to air.

Ground troops feel like sitting ducks to aircraft. No one enjoys feeling powerless. It just makes you want to play a different game.

Its not a matter of pure balance - its a matter of enjoying the game.

-When you are are out with 2 or 3 other players capping a small base and a Lib wanders by and snipes you as soon as you walk out a door it not good game experience.

-When a swarm of aircraft come up and decimates you base attack its not fun.

-The only effective counter to air is specialized aa platforms - thay very few enjoy using because they chase away aircraft but they earn little xp - much less then pilots earn. Thats not fun.

Aircraft kill everything.
Saying the best response is 1 or 2 special units that chase aircraft but dont get many kills or do anything else - is really saying you just dont want people to play ground forces.
Old 2013-01-01, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rodel View Post
Rock says to paper. "I don't care, who wants to be Paper or Scissors? I beat both, because Rock beats all!"
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion