Trayvon Martin - Page 36 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It goes up to 11.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-10, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #526
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Trayvon Martin

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Racial profiling. That one was easy. Did you not know? Or was that, like, the first question on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
So it is only racism if it is a not black cop doing the profiling.

Old 2012-05-11, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #527
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
So it is only racism if it is a not black cop doing the profiling.
I'm sorry? I don't remember saying that. Lemme go read my post again to make sure I didn't say that. You helpfully quoted it in yours.

Hm. Nope. I didn't say it wasn't racism. That's weird. Cuz I mean... you seem to have taken that meaning, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure what I said was the opposite.

Is English not your first language? Here, let me help you out by saying it simpler.

Yes. It is still racism, even if a black cop profiles a black citizen. People can be racist and bigoted against 'groups' they themselves belong to. There are sexist women, there are racist african americans, and there are homophobic homosexuals. It's a funny ol' world.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #528
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Racial profiling =/= racism, but thanks for playing.

Old 2012-05-11, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #529
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

They're not mutually exclusive, and they are very closely related.

I feel like you may believe you have lured me into some clever logical trap but I must helpfully inform you that you may be mistaken, as you may not fully understand the concepts you're talking about.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #530
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Talking down to someone standing eye to eye or even above you makes you look retarded.

Old 2012-05-11, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #531
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Talking down to someone standing eye to eye or even above you makes you look retarded.
Ah, have you run out of steam already? Are we really down to the ad hominem? Time sure does fly when you're having fun.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #532
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

You are mistaken about who is engaging in ad hominem.

Old 2012-05-11, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #533
Vash02
Major

It can be racist (in the majority of times it probably is). If its not, it's still a moronic policy to follow.
Old 2012-05-11, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #534
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
It can be racist (in the majority of times it probably is). If its not, it's still a moronic policy to follow.
I understand the distinction, I was making sure someone else did too.

Old 2012-05-15, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #535
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Um, by definition, a black cop profiling a black suspect cannot be racist.

Racism means believing that one race is superior to another. It's impossible for a black person to believe that his own race (black) is superior to blacks. That is logically impossible. The only way it can make sense is to take the stance that the black cop thinks that whites are superior to blacks, despite himself being black. That's most likely not going to be the case. Thus my point many pages ago that the word "racist" has lost it's meaning. Nobody really understands what it means now and throws it around like a battle cry. And yeah profiling does not equal racism.
Old 2012-05-15, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #536
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
Nobody really understands what it means now and throws it around like a battle cry. And yeah profiling does not equal racism.
Actually, I think you too are confused. You define racism as pure racial hatred/superiority believes. Racism however, is the assigning a person traits whether positive, neutral or negative based on this person's race alone.

The problem is that racial selection is a form of racial discrimination. So is racial hatred (that which you define as racism). The latter though is simply an extreme form of racism, typically combined with extreme nationalism.

The consequences, motives and intentions are different, but in the end you are making a racial discriminating pre-selection within a group based on superficial qualities where skin colour is a race trait, not a social-economic trait. Even more accurately, racial profiling typically involves creating racial stereotypes to make the "bias" a bit more refinement. It is still a bias.

It would make more sense for crime fighting to focus on social-economic qualities, such as people with lacking incomes, high debts, bad household live etc. That's however harder to do based on superficial qualities than skincolour.

So yes, it's racist to some degree, even if just with the intend to increase efficiency due to a majority of a certain group being in that social-economic circumstance.

Of course it's insulting to people that are on the edge of the racial stereotype to be included in the stereotype and suffer under those that actually are the target group of the profiling. To them, I can well imagine it coming over as racist. Especially if they used to feel prosecuted as a group by that same entity or institute, in this case the police and governments of Southern States. They're not treated as individuals, after all.
Old 2012-05-16, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #537
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Actually, I think you too are confused. You define racism as pure racial hatred/superiority believes. Racism however, is the assigning a person traits whether positive, neutral or negative based on this person's race alone.
No, that is not the dictionary definition. By your definition it seems even calling someone "white" or "black" is racist. Is the statement "black people typically have black hair" racist? By your definition, it seems so. By the dictionary definition, it is not, as it carries no statement of superiority or hatred. It may be a stereotype, but it's not a racist statement.

Last edited by Quovatis; 2012-05-16 at 06:02 PM.
Old 2012-05-16, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #538
Figment
Lieutenant General

Racism does not need to imply superiority. Like sexism does not need to imply superiority.

It can though and often does, but attributing traits simply based on ethnicity is always discrimination by race, thus racism.

That said, it does not have to imply a policy to hurt.

Positive discrimination can IMO also be implied racism or sexism, as it may imply they are not good enough to arrange it themselves, or because they'd have certain qualities guaranteed (regardless if they are better or not than others). Only browsing Polish adverts for a handyman as they'd probably be cheaper is racist as you make an assumption about their economical demands based on nationality.

Yet doesn't mean that it wouldn't shorten your search for a cheap plumber though if you would. You might have found a local one too though.
Old 2012-05-23, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #539
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Looks like 3 of the key witnesses have changed their stories since they were first questioned. The new stories favor Martin. Interesting.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #540
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 02:55 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum