June - Air Vehicle Passenger Transport - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I think the ANT drivers use crank to stay awake....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-26, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Catfart
Contributor
Private

Thumbs down June - Air Vehicle Passenger Transport

I tried to add the comment below to the Roadmap forum. But my post, and other peoples, are not appearing.

TL/DR
  • There is no problem to be solved
  • The solution has significant cons.

I do not think the air vehicle loading needs to be streamlined. I'm never noticed people not being able get into a transport, and have never had a problem finding somewhere to land.

The solution proposed would have a number of impacts in the immersion of the game. The sights, sounds and actions on a busy loading area add significantly to the feeling of being in a big army, and a squad:
  • The spectacle of looking over at Galaxys and Sunderers loading up. With two Gals waiting for a space to land and ESFs buzzing past. If you want to give new players an idea of the size of the game, Spawn them overlooking the warpgate loading field.
  • Trying to find your squad and then tracking down your transport.
  • As a pilot, trying to squeeze down while listening to the sarcastic comments of your squad about your flying skills.
  • On your own, trying to decide whether you hitch a lift in the Gal with composite armour and Walkers, or the chap who is currently stuck upside down halfway up the spawn building.
  • The little kick you get when the Gal you are sitting in finally goes wheels up. (And the Gal you avoided smacks into the warpgate)

I gave it a thumbs down. Do you feel that this sort of immersion has value in the game? I think it does.
Old 2013-01-26, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rothnang
Major

Re: June - Air Vehicle Passenger Transport

Yea, I agree. Landing is half the fun of being a pilot. If anything they should improve the maneuverability of aircraft so you can pull cooler landings. (The fact that if the nose of your aircraft gets cought under an object you pretty much have no chance of retreiving the aircraft because every time you try to fly up your nose gets pushed down, causing your aircraft to lurch forward and get itself stuck even worse really sucks for making daring landings)

I personally even find the Galaxy ejection mechanic really lame, I would find it way cooler if people would go down ropes or something and you actually had to stop there for a moment, rather than having it be like now where you just do a flyby.

More stuff that rewards good piloting would be nice.

The reason why its so hard to find a landing spot for squad pickups is because 90% of the air installations are so horribly exposed that enemies within 4-5 hexes render them unusable.

Last edited by Rothnang; 2013-01-26 at 09:32 AM.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Re: June - Air Vehicle Passenger Transport

I am really shocked that this stupid idea even made it to the roadmap. Who thought this would be a good idea? Fire that guy, he obvously does not know what makes PS2 as awesome as it is!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion