nvidias and their black screen can go to hell... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sigbot's deleting sites now?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-02-21, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
War Barney
Sergeant Major

nvidias and their black screen can go to hell...

So since the last nvidia driver update I keep getting screen freezes followed by a flack screen lasting 5-10s and I just noticed after it happens NO HITS REGISTER!! literally not a single shot even sitting still shooting at a ally standing still, NOTHING. How the hell have they done something so ridiculous
Old 2014-02-21, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: nvidias and their black screen can go to hell...

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
So since the last nvidia driver update I keep getting screen freezes followed by a flack screen lasting 5-10s and I just noticed after it happens NO HITS REGISTER!! literally not a single shot even sitting still shooting at a ally standing still, NOTHING. How the hell have they done something so ridiculous
Is it even possible? I mean hit detection is apparently clientside in the game (otherwise you wouldn't be able to die to an unrendered character, while being able to kill such character), but GPU affecting networking sounds very unlikely.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2014-02-21 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2014-02-21, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ohaunlaim
Corporal

Actually that used to be a fairly common bug. If the Nvidia patch brought it back, there is going to be a lot of bitter, angry tears.

If it happens the only cure before was to quit to character select and come back in. Or for more extreme cases, a game restart.

Please submit bug reports if it happens again.
Old 2014-02-21, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
War Barney
Sergeant Major

I shall, this was the first time it completely stopped all hits registering but its been cutting to black a lot, hope they fix it soon, being cut to black and frozen for 10s is bad enough in a game like this but followed by hits not registering is insane
Old 2014-02-22, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
camycamera
Major

i get a similar problem in which the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, and then the game comes back. i don't get any in game issues though, it is a problem with the drivers.
Old 2014-02-22, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Calista
Second Lieutenant

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...rivers.174370/
Old 2014-02-22, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

"If you've been getting the 1-2 second freeze frame in the last couple weeks, can you please email me at [email protected] "

From Higby's twitter.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2014-02-22, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Rolled back to 332.21, things are fine again.
Old 2014-04-17, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Binkley
Sergeant

Has anyone tried beta driver 337.50 yet?
Old 2014-04-22, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
EasyShot
Private

Been having the same issue recently. Screen goes black for a few seconds then the FPS ramps back up to normal after another few seconds.

I'll try the beta driver this evening.
Old 2014-04-22, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Beta driver has the same issue. Driver crash every now and then.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2014-04-22, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Sheesh, I never thought I would ever say this, but maybe its a good thing I have an ATI... na, I still should have got an NVIDIA
Old 2014-04-22, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
Sheesh, I never thought I would ever say this, but maybe its a good thing I have an ATI... na, I still should have got an NVIDIA
I'm sorry to derail the thread, but with the current and prior series of NVIDIA cards, it is probably a very good thing you have gotten an ATi card.

I've had NVIDIA cards crash and burn when the driver is overloaded, but does not crash, nor does it force the fan to go faster when it is obviously overheating. Not that ATi does the latter, but it does the former.

Because of this I've had 3 NVIDIA cards fail and require RMA in the past 2 years. I've never had an ATi card fail to the point of being dysfunctional; it is just that the driver's crash so that you don't damage the card. Every NVIDIA card I have bought past the 9800 is, to this day, no longer working. Every ATi card I have bought past an X850 AGP is still working.

So, if you ask me, thank ATi when your drivers reset. They are saving you from having to buy a new card.

But will I say that ATi is better, or Nvidia is better? Nah. It varies, sometimes based on personal experience, the game's your playing, the price your paying, and the time you buy.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2014-04-22 at 03:57 PM.
Old 2014-04-23, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
joepaiii
Private

nvidias and their black screen can go to hell...

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
I'm sorry to derail the thread, but with the current and prior series of NVIDIA cards, it is probably a very good thing you have gotten an ATi card.

I've had NVIDIA cards crash and burn when the driver is overloaded, but does not crash, nor does it force the fan to go faster when it is obviously overheating. Not that ATi does the latter, but it does the former.

Because of this I've had 3 NVIDIA cards fail and require RMA in the past 2 years. I've never had an ATi card fail to the point of being dysfunctional; it is just that the driver's crash so that you don't damage the card. Every NVIDIA card I have bought past the 9800 is, to this day, no longer working. Every ATi card I have bought past an X850 AGP is still working.

So, if you ask me, thank ATi when your drivers reset. They are saving you from having to buy a new card.

But will I say that ATi is better, or Nvidia is better? Nah. It varies, sometimes based on personal experience, the game's your playing, the price your paying, and the time you buy.

I haven't had any hardware issues with a single video card built containing a nVidia GPU. Seems like you have had some bad luck, and nVidia did have an issue with some BGA packages but that was a few generations ago. What series cards were you RMAing and who built them?

Last edited by joepaiii; 2014-04-23 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2014-04-23, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Belhade
Sergeant

I'm running a 460GTX (yeah, yeah, I know) with 335.23 and never had any video card issues...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion