Magrider Main Cannon... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Accept me Hamma accept me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-28, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Magrider Main Cannon...

has pivot. Atleast up and down. If you look closely, right after Higby gets run over the Magrider's main cannon pivots up a little bit. Haven't seen anyone post this information yet. If there is vertical pivot, perhaps there will be some horizontal pivot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...5flxhP0#t=562s
Old 2012-04-28, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Magrider Main Cannon...

Not surprised. If it had no leeway whatsoever, it would most likely suck hard.

The original Planetside had this too for several weapons on vehicles.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-04-28, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I think most people assumed it would have vertical pivot. It needs to be able to aim upwards, and it would look kind of odd to have the entire Magrider tilt upwards.

As for side to side, it is as you say, it would be easy to add if it can already pivot up and down. The only real question is whether it will be needed or not. My assumption is that the turning speed and responsiveness of the Magrider will be great enough that it feels like rotating a turret without needing any additional horizontal pivoting of the gun itself.

Combine that with the potential that the Forgelight physics engine may allow the Magrider to continue drifting in it's original direction of travel after having turned to the side, and it should be a pretty flawless and intuitive interface.

But on the other hand, if a small amount of horizontal pivoting proves to be needed, it's nice to know it probably wouldn't be hard to add.

Beta beta beta. Until then, the devs know more than we do.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Asked about vertical pivot ages ago, it has not.
Means, the gun behaves just as in planetside.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Asked about vertical pivot ages ago, it has not.
Means, the gun behaves just as in planetside.
Did you mean to replace vertical with horizontal?

I thought PS1's Magrider only had vertical pivot in the main gun, and to look left/right you basically had to strafe/turn the tank. This is how I'd like to see it return. This is the tradeoff for getting a tank that can strafe : /

To be clear no vertical pivot would mean the tank would need to place it's self on a hill to aim up/down, and that just sounds ridiculous.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-04-28 at 05:32 PM.
Old 2012-04-28, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think most potential Mag drivers are overlooking that the entire tank is the turret.

Old 2012-04-28, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I think most potential Mag drivers are overlooking that the entire tank is the turret.
If it's able to do it's maximum speed in any direction (forward, side, side, reverse) then fine. Otherwise VS got screwed.
Old 2012-04-28, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Agree. The turning rate of the entire tank is likely to be the same as the turning rate for the other empire tank turrets.
Old 2012-04-28, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Reginald
Private

The whole tank pivoting is not the only issue, since the main cannon is a fixed forward weapon it means a magrider can only attack with its best weapon when it is pointed directly at the enemy. Unless it can strafe and reverse at top speed then it will be at a significant disadvantage should it have to retreat. Both the prowler and the vanguard will be able to retreat or travel at maximum velocity in any direction relative to the target while still engaging the enemy with their primary weapon.

IMO giving the magrider the ability to strafe and reverse at maximum speed would be clunky and probably look weird. I would rather have its primary weapons on a turret.
Old 2012-04-28, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
Did you mean to replace vertical with horizontal?

I thought PS1's Magrider only had vertical pivot in the main gun, and to look left/right you basically had to strafe/turn the tank. This is how I'd like to see it return. This is the tradeoff for getting a tank that can strafe : /

To be clear no vertical pivot would mean the tank would need to place it's self on a hill to aim up/down, and that just sounds ridiculous.
It has vertical, it does not have horizontal.
I screwed up. :-D
Old 2012-04-28, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
The whole tank pivoting is not the only issue, since the main cannon is a fixed forward weapon it means a magrider can only attack with its best weapon when it is pointed directly at the enemy. Unless it can strafe and reverse at top speed then it will be at a significant disadvantage should it have to retreat. Both the prowler and the vanguard will be able to retreat or travel at maximum velocity in any direction relative to the target while still engaging the enemy with their primary weapon.

IMO giving the magrider the ability to strafe and reverse at maximum speed would be clunky and probably look weird. I would rather have its primary weapons on a turret.
Yeah, well I apologize in advance for shedding no tears over it. I mean, your tank floats. Pros and Cons Bro.

Old 2012-04-28, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
RawketLawnchair
First Sergeant

Yeah, well I apologize in advance for shedding no tears over it. I mean, your tank floats. Pros and Cons Bro.
Pretty much. NC tanks are slow, with treads... but are powerful.
Hovertanks have much more maneuverability.
Seems fair to me in comparison.
Old 2012-04-28, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Shlomoshun
Private

From the design it's clear that it's going to be just like PS1, which was quite easy to use and worked great...
Old 2012-04-28, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Shlomoshun View Post
From the design it's clear that it's going to be just like PS1, which was quite easy to use and worked great...
Worked great?

You never drove a Magrider it seems.

As a Mag driver myself, who talked with the whole crew of other awesome mag drivers (like myself), let me tell you this: The Driver cannon was the whorst that could happen to the Mag. It was simply shit.
Not because it did as much damage as throwing rocks, but because it took your focus away from driving. Trying to use this thing to do damage was the best way to kill yourself. In fact, every single Mag guide, and every single good mag driver, said the same: The Magrider does not have a gun for the driver. Its just a flashlight, nothing else. Do not attempt to use it, because all it will do is reveal your position. It wont kill a thing, it wont do any good, it just makes you die faster. Instead of using it, focus on driving, and let your gunner take care of the kills. This way you stay alive much longer.

Now, heres the thing: Poor NC and TR wont have our luck. Us Mag guys are used to our gun, and we know how to use it. NC and TR? They are screw completly. Not just that they have the massive issue of a rotating turrent, no, they even have no training in using it. Those things will be coffins, nothing else.

I can only hope for them that they get the abiliy to let a dedicated gunner take those guns, so the drivers can focus on driving. Otherwise the game will be rather one sided.
And if they get the option to let a gunner hop in, then you will easily see the good guy, and the bad guys. The good guys are those that drive around while both their guns fire at you. The bad guys are those who drive into trees, rotate their main gun forward to see whats going on, drive back, rotate their man gun again to find you again (and start shooting again), drive into another tree, and blow up. And while those guys are stuck in trees, i will laugh in my Mag.
Old 2012-04-29, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Yes, because in all of the footage and pics that have been released so far, we've seen tons of water everywhere for the Mag to take advantage of.

Oh wait. No we haven't.

Originally Posted by RawketLawnchair View Post
Pretty much. NC tanks are slow, with treads... but are powerful.
Hovertanks have much more maneuverability.
Seems fair to me in comparison.
As others have said, it might work out to be fair if:
  • It can rotate in place as fast as the other MBT's can rotate their turret, and
  • it has the same top speed when strafing left/right and going in reverse as it does moving forward, and
  • the game's Physics allow the Mag to conserve its momentum so it can keep moving in one direction while it rotates to deal with threats to either side or behind it, and
  • the Mag's acceleration is fast enough to allow it to change directions as fast as a treaded MBT. Preferrably faster since it's supposed to be the most maneuverable MBT.

If all of the above conditions aren't met, then the Mag will be at a big disadvantage when attempting to engage opponents from any direction but right in front of it. And the larger the battle, the greater the frequency of having opponents attacking you from the flanks or from behind.

Maneuverability won't mean shit if you can't turn to deal with flanking or rear attackers as quickly as a turreted tank can.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-29 at 02:32 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion