Planetside Reddit - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will There be Jet Packs?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-13, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stardouser
Colonel

Planetside Reddit

I noticed that PS2's reddit only has 2044 (counting me who just subscribed) subscribers.

Battlefield has 43000 and change. Go subscribe to PS's reddit and close the gap! Here's the direct link to the PS game specific reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/planetside/

Also, here's a handy list of game specific reddits, I have no idea who keeps it updated, except that the numbers aren't autofeeding, you will have to click on specific reddits for up to date info on subscribers. http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/faq

Anyway, such a shame to only have 2000 subscribers. Spread the word and get more people on there.
Old 2012-04-13, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: Planetside Reddit

The game hasn't launched yet. Subreddits for games don't explode until people can actually play the games. That said, talk of Planetside 2 is still thin on the ground.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-04-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 2012-04-13, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
bullet
First Sergeant

*Goes and registers at reddit so we can be MORE like Battlefield*

Old 2012-04-13, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
*Goes and registers at reddit so we can be MORE like Battlefield*

Reddit has it's benefits. Ability to downvote retardedness eliminates trolling for the most part and generally promotes discussion that's at least entertaining and at best insightful.

I find preference in reddit mainly because unlike forums threads can take multiple directions, there's no derailment when a thread isn't a single track like forums, but multiple different ones. It works better.

Old 2012-04-13, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

Actually, I was hoping that more people on Reddit would be a voice for NOT being more like Battlefield. Or more accurately, not more like BF3 anyway.

I also thought it sucked that the first thing I saw when I searched for PS2 on Reddit was Higby's intro, and yet only 2000 subscribers to the sub.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 2012-04-13, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
bullet
First Sergeant

The battlefield franchise has been around for a while and more popular than the original PS by far. The newest BF has been marketed, released, played, talked about, and spread around. PS/2 has not. PS was barley noticed due to no marketing and the lack of technology by most people, they couldn't play the game.

I think its pretty reasonable that PS/2 is no where close to what BF has in reddit users.

And I was by no means so reddit is useless or less useful. I was simply stating that because BF did it/has it is no reason to do it too. He could have compared it to Hello Kitty Island adventure an I think it would be more embarassing then. (it probably has more than PS/2 lol...)
Old 2012-04-13, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

To put what bullet said in perspective, here's a graph showing Planetside trends since google insight began in 2004.

As you can see, interest was at it's peak back then and current interest is nowhere near what it was at it's highest (on record) of the original, and that interest needs to be MUCH higher than it previously was to make the game a success.

The label G on the above graph is the announcement of the game last year. The label E is GDC release. The label C is reddit's AMA.

I've got this cooked up for another thread though, just waiting a couple more days for a new data cycle so it's a little more accurate to recent events, particularly interested in gauging the value of reddit activity in generating interest, at the moment it's looking like the reddit AMA had the same strength of interest generation as the GDC footage had in being distributed all across the net.

There's a lot more that needs to happen to get anywhere near old interest levels though, and a lot more that has to happen after that to get near the level necessary to make the game a true success.

Old 2012-04-13, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stardouser
Colonel

What search term did you use for that?
Old 2012-04-13, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
What search term did you use for that?
Blue line is "Planetside", red line is "Planetside 2"

Old 2012-04-13, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Reddit has it's benefits.
Gone Wild. Need I say more?

I think that medic dragging thing could be pretty useful. For other people anyways, I'll be in a MAX suit so I ain't goin nowhere.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Destroyeron View Post
Gone Wild. Need I say more?

I think that medic dragging thing could be pretty useful. For other people anyways, I'll be in a MAX suit so I ain't goin nowhere.
Actually, medic dragging could be a key point of distinction between PS2 and BF3, a place to really say "we aren't copying verbatim". Although DICE never explains their decisions, they had considered having dragging in BF3 and didn't adopt it. I believe, however, the meatgrinding, extreme fast paced nature of the game made dragging an exercise in futility as you will just get sprayed down while doing it.

But in Planetside 2, it shouldn't be quite so bad and dragging might be worthwhile.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Destroyeron
Troll x2

I think it could definitely work some in BF3, in addition to PS2 of course. I've seen several situations where if a medic could've pulled a guy to safety before he revived him he would've been ok, but I shot him in the face.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Destroyeron View Post
I think it could definitely work some in BF3, in addition to PS2 of course. I've seen several situations where if a medic could've pulled a guy to safety before he revived him he would've been ok, but I shot him in the face.
The thing is, by definition it's going to have be kinda slow, the dragging process, certainly not like sprinting. If it's safe enough to drag, it's probably safe enough to revive in situ. That's BAttlefield 3. Planetside 2 I hope will be different.
Old 2012-04-13, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Medic dragging was pointless in BF3 with an instant revive mechanic. In Planetside that's not going to be the case, it's really as simple as that.

Medics will be relatively weak, running into enemy fire and reviving someone won't be a smart move. Using a heavy assault and activating their short term 5 second shield should be more than enough to grab a guy that died a couple paces from cover and drag him to safety for the medic though.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion