News: Community Interview with Jon Weathers - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm going to kill you. hold that thought i forgot my gun
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-29, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Re: Community Interview with Jon Weathers

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Hey Higby thanks for replying and clearing that up for me. I've never coded a VOIP in one of my games and always assumed you would need more data in a packet to the server if you wanted to do voip.

That said, I spent the first year of my MMOFPS playing WW2online without voip and when I got on a TS it was a completely different world.

By the time I got to Planetside, I had my outfit set up channels for AIR, INFY and ARMOR with a command channel just for leaders. We had set up whispers to the leader of each division so only he could hear and would repeat the orders to the folks in his channel.

So, you could see why I would find VOIP in the game somewhat redundant as most large outfits will be better suited using their own VOIP systems.

But hey if it doesn't effect my ping, or how many players you can fit on a server then knock yourselves out. APB's ability to hear nearby enemies is a nice feature.
Voice adds so much to the gameplay experience, but it's mostly the people who really love the game who get into using voice. Imagine if it was easy and ubiquitous, how much better of an experience the game would be for everyone. Obviously you have to be able to create custom channels, moderate them, turn off default ones and have quick ways to deal with people spamming you (friendly fire?) over it. I'd really love to make in-game VOIP in Planetside 2 robust and cool enough that you'll want to use it, and your clan will want to use it, so that way you're part of the same ecosystem as the guy whos trying the game for the first time and you can communicate with him easily and seamlessly. There are a lot of hurdles to jump over to make it happen, though.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Its weird that in Planetside the most vocal people consider in-game VOIP to be a bad thing or a waste of resources, but for BF3 people the lack of it in BF3 is like the biggest flaw.

Also, I remember in the early days of PS a lot of people wanted to use the built in VoIP, but it just lagged the game too hard to be useful. Plus it had terrible voice quality.

Last edited by CuddlyChud; 2012-05-29 at 05:21 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
Thanks to Hamma and Jon for the interview.

on VOIP:

Some of this might happen but I dont foresee a great deal of it taking place.
If you are in a squad of random players and someone says "Hey come over here the command room is this way", the first hoop you have to jump thru is who the hell just said that and who the hell are they talking to?
Identifying voices can be hard enough when you know the people.
Not to mention players with obscure names that you cant pronounce.

I like the idea of trying to make the community more closely knit but imo this wont do much.

Anyway, not much use for those playing at a great distance from the servers, the delay is usually sub par but I look forward to testing it out and being proven wrong!

Thanks again for the interview.
Im pretty sure his name will light up knowing who is talking to you
Old 2012-05-29, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
SKYeXile
Major General

everybody see's the problem with people getting the resources for only the continent they're on right?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-29 at 05:22 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Voice adds so much to the gameplay experience, but it's mostly the people who really love the game who get into using voice. Imagine if it was easy and ubiquitous, how much better of an experience the game would be for everyone. Obviously you have to be able to create custom channels, moderate them, turn off default ones and have quick ways to deal with people spamming you (friendly fire?) over it. I'd really love to make in-game VOIP in Planetside 2 robust and cool enough that you'll want to use it, and your clan will want to use it, so that way you're part of the same ecosystem as the guy whos trying the game for the first time and you can communicate with him easily and seamlessly. There are a lot of hurdles to jump over to make it happen, though.
That (and replying to threads like these) are why you're the best
Old 2012-05-29, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
GunslingerX
Private

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
everybody see's the problem with people getting the resources for only the continent they're on right?
Everyone trying to get on the most profitable continent?
Old 2012-05-29, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
xXGumpXX
Banned

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
the feature would be good but not that good as most gamers us Teamspeak or ventrilo to communicate , i would rather use TS than an in-game voip myself !
Old 2012-05-29, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
GunslingerX
Private

Originally Posted by xXGumpXX View Post
the feature would be good but not that good as most gamers us Teamspeak or ventrilo to communicate , i would rather use TS than an in-game voip myself !
I'd say that's the case only because games have failed at creating a proper in game VOIP. The pros Higby has argued far outweigh any of the cons(cant think of any actually).
Old 2012-05-29, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by GunslingerX View Post
I would like to see Higbee tackle this question. If resources are earned based on land your empire owns on your current continent, will people be scrambling to abandon the continent on which your empire holds the least land?
Old 2012-05-29, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I would like to see Higbee tackle this question. If resources are earned based on land your empire owns on your current continent, will people be scrambling to abandon the continent on which your empire holds the least land?
yup prettymuch, there is something to be said that if you have less people on another cont tose resources would be divied by less people and thus you should in theory get more, but nothing divided be shit all people is still nothing. I would also like to know how resources are divided, surly not just "evenly" by the amount of people on content, bots and AFKers would have a feild day, it should be based of your contribution. earn 3% of the XP generated for your empire generated in the last tick? grats, you get 3% of the empires resource income.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GunslingerX View Post
Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
This...People will forsake the other continents in favor of the one that they own the most of.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
This...People will forsake the other continents in favor of the one that they own the most of.
I don't quite understand but....I get resources when Im on a certain Continent logged in to a game right?...so when I log off I get no resources?

Also the team gets an equal number of resources?....So I can just be in a continent doing nothing in the background meanwhile my buddies r getting me resources?

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-05-29 at 05:50 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I don't quite understand but....I get resources when Im on a certain content log in to a game right?...so when I log off I get no resources?

Also the team gets an equal number of resources?....So I can just be in a continent doing nothing in the background meanwhile my buddies r getting me resources?
thats what we dont know, and iv been dying to know, iv made several threads bringing this up but nobody else seems to care :/

Yea we dont know much about gaining offline resources, you will gain cert points offline if you're subbed i think though...or was that you always gain cert points but resources if you're offline? i doubt it since players ingame are only getting resourced based off the content they're on.

SKYeXile TRF - GM

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-29 at 05:50 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Stardouser
Colonel

Just a guess, there must be two parts to resource gaining: One that's based on land ownership, which can be reduced based on owning little land, but a second supplemental bonus component based on capturing land and perhaps even per kill...
Old 2012-05-29, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
PantherModern
Private

Best part of the video:
"We are just waiting for data and larger scale play tests at this point."
\o/

Planetside 2 is definitely probably going to be the best game ever. Keep up the great work everyone!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion