Systems/Gameplay: The Virtual Training Center of PlanetSide 2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So this is what it looks like on the inside!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.88 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-04, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Kezz
Sergeant

Re: Systems/Gameplay: The Virtual Training Center of PlanetSide 2

Lots of value in this. Trying to get fireteam drills sorted out when everyone's dying every 10s cos you've not got it right yet really drags.

Though I think there will be lots of empty space to go run exercises in if you want teamwork practice.

Individual technical shooting ranges for foot and vehicles, with simple or not-so-simple popup targets, some of which are on runners or tracks or whatever would be plenty, I think. You could have highscores on 'em for people to brag about too.
Old 2012-07-04, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
BillyBob
Corporal

One of the biggest concerns about having a dedicated "non combat" area like this, would probably be that it might "distract" players from the core game and its combat.

However, as far as I can tell this never happened in the original Planetside...and as a new player, I for one really appreciated the tutorial and the possibility it gave to learn all the equipment in a non-combat environment.

Also, I think that allowing for several players to join up in these areas to train for example, would only help Outfits and strengthen the social aspects of the game. For example when it comes to more experienced members of the Outfit sharing their combat "tips and tricks" to new recruits.

IMO, this would help get more out of the game, not only when it comes to personal skills, but also on a Squad, Platoon and Outfit level when it comes to practicing and forming new tactics.

Considering the fact that the Sanctuaries have supposedly been removed from PS2, I just think that the benefits of having access to some form of area like this would outweigh any cons and that it would add another dimension to the game.

/BB
Old 2012-07-04, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
One of the biggest concerns about having a dedicated "non combat" area like this, would probably be that it might "distract" players from the core game and its combat.
I don't think that's a big issue. As long as you can't earn anything in there, the lack of persistence will make people less likely to want to spend too much time in it. If an outfit leader calls for people to join a real fight, no one will skip the battle to stay in the VR room, because they're not getting anything out of it.
Plus, being instanced it won't distract the people that are in any of the continents, it'll just free up more space to those who want to play instead of train.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-05 at 01:44 AM.
Old 2012-07-06, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Soyokaze
Corporal

I kinda assumed this would be in the game already. I mean, it was in PS1, and "do VR training first" was not only a mantra repeated to every new player, but one the game eventually made hard to ignore with its mission system.

The only thing I need to point out is that anything beyond having the VR models walk a set path is asking too much. Not only is there no reason that their architecture should, at this point, support any form of AI (they don't have NPCs), meaning no AI path nodes and such features standard in other engines, but they very likely don't have a single AI guy on the team.

Like everyone's said - good idea, easy to do, no reason not to.
Old 2012-07-06, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
DrShadowSML
Private

My name is DrShadowSML and I approve this idea!
Old 2012-07-06, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Soyokaze View Post
I kinda assumed this would be in the game already. I mean, it was in PS1, and "do VR training first" was not only a mantra repeated to every new player, but one the game eventually made hard to ignore with its mission system.

The only thing I need to point out is that anything beyond having the VR models walk a set path is asking too much. Not only is there no reason that their architecture should, at this point, support any form of AI (they don't have NPCs), meaning no AI path nodes and such features standard in other engines, but they very likely don't have a single AI guy on the team.

Like everyone's said - good idea, easy to do, no reason not to.
I assumed, or took for granted even, that this would be in PS2 as well.

It was in fact when I learned that this would probably not be the case, that I created this thread.

As you say, this concept worked great in the original PlanetSide...and more importantly, it filled a much needed purpose. This alone is IMO reason enough to at the very least give some serious consideration on implementing it in PS2 as well.

Originally Posted by DrShadowSML View Post
My name is DrShadowSML and I approve this idea!
Thanks, but just for the record; I make no claims on this being my idea. It's basically nothing more than a slight variation of a core feature which was in the original PlanetSide game.

The point of this thread is simply to suggest and address the need for something similar in PS2.

/BB
Old 2012-07-06, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
DodgeIt
Private

A shooting range would be great, just to get the feel of the weapons, and a VR room for vehicles to practice flying in a safe area would be a massive massive win.

As for practising drills, in PS1 you would just go to an empty base, or a tower and go through it that way. There were even a few different towers on sanc that you could drill in.
Old 2012-07-06, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

I think they won't consider this the same reason why sancs are gone.

They wan't players to never be separated from the combat, and that will be all the training you'll need. Rather than fanciful tacticool outfit drills. But it would be nice to 'try before you buy' with different weapons and tanks
Old 2012-07-07, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

/sign
Old 2012-11-13, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Stick Pin
Private

A practice area is what this game really lacks for us noobs. I don't appreciate buying things that I don't need/want after I try them. As well as learning vehicles. Think of the ppl that will buy things in error after the launch, the player base of noobs will tank.

Last edited by Stick Pin; 2012-11-13 at 04:51 PM.
Old 2012-11-18, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Javabeans
Private

I'd like to see this as well, mainly for an Outfit to practice at. My outfit is currently looking into setting up a BF2142 training server that we can can all go to for this. Having a virtual training center in game would be perfect (and easier) for squads to practice together.

I wrote a quick suggestion in the PS2 forums about this. My idea was to have an instance based training center that a squad to get to via Galaxy (or even warp to), like an island off the coast. Squads could earn some training points to use toward guild stuff like camo and badges. Individuals would get training certs to put toward gear and stuff to try out. Being instance based, other factions would be kept out and the nuts who like to disrupt such things as well. My squad tried training in the buildings at the Warpgate and would occasionally get crashed into by a pilot learning to fly or intentionally by someone who wanted to be a jerk.

Also there would be no penalty for killing same-faction to allow for "real" combat drills. Teams would have different colors to differentiate between them and allow for practice attacking and defending the station of your choice.

Last edited by Javabeans; 2012-11-18 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2012-11-20, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
DeNile
Private

With choice of all options, easy to learn what options suits your game play. No wasting buying things then finding out it is not what you thought it was.
Also a way to see the accuracy of each shot. Bullet speed, range and drop to get leading a target down.
Vehicle test to see handeling or use.
Flight without preditorsm to get your skill up before you get into combat.
Effectiveness of defensive armor against offensive measures.
Could be used as training field of squads develop stratagies skills and command.
Using existing buildings and terrain could be used. Instead of creating new.
Learning how to fly as light assault could prevent foolish mistakes.
If as the game changes to see how each tweak really works.
If you are going to spend time and money, you need to get the best bang for your buck.
Lots of options to help both nubies as well as vets.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault