Will this game fail? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-02, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dartan
Corporal

Will this game fail?

It's so strange, a while back I made this topic when I was quite impressed with the scope and graphics but now the more details emerge the more people are absolutely disappointed with every aspect of it when they actually play it for a period of time.

Do you think this is a valid indicator on how the game will be or is the public beta a huge mistake since very negative rumors are spreading everywhere?
Old 2012-09-02, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kipper
Captain

Any negativity can only be coming from people who don't understand what a beta test is / is for.

Sure the game has problems right now, that's why we're testing it - so we can help to find them and propose fixes that work.

There does seem to be too much "playing" and not enough "testing" from some quarters.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Re: Will this game fail?

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Any negativity can only be coming from people who don't understand what a beta test is / is for.
Wrong. Sure, beta is for testing. However, if you think that the core game at the heart of all this will change much before release, you're wrong. If people just aren't into the gameplay, they probably won't like it even when you can buy a new gun or two. Others, who worry about simple mechanics and systems or balance probably will like it once its finished more.

But let's not pretend like vehicle physics, the feeling of weapons and gunplay as a whole, and the super dated/goofy looking art and sound design are going to have a dramatic overhaul because you decided to report a few bugs.

And for the record, despite all of these things, I really like ps2. I also don't think that the beta tester portion of the player base will have anything to do with whether this game fails or not. That all depends on F2P junkies doing their part and buying shit

Last edited by OnexBigxHebrew; 2012-09-02 at 04:44 PM.
Old 2012-09-03, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Boone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Wrong. Sure, beta is for testing. However, if you think that the core game at the heart of all this will change much before release, you're wrong. If people just aren't into the gameplay, they probably won't like it even when you can buy a new gun or two. Others, who worry about simple mechanics and systems or balance probably will like it once its finished more.

But let's not pretend like vehicle physics, the feeling of weapons and gunplay as a whole, and the super dated/goofy looking art and sound design are going to have a dramatic overhaul because you decided to report a few bugs.

And for the record, despite all of these things, I really like ps2. I also don't think that the beta tester portion of the player base will have anything to do with whether this game fails or not. That all depends on F2P junkies doing their part and buying shit
Do the graphics/weapons really need a dramatic overhaul? Haven't played, but you usually see graphics and these kind of things prettied up more and more the closer to release. Wouldn't really worry about that too much to be honest. I think the whole flow of the battles, etc is probably more important to get that right first.

The problem is most people playing think it's a marketing beta (that's what I call em) when in fact it looks to be a true/serious beta test (comparing to DUST just because been playing that). I bet only %5 are truely "testing" unfortunately. I'm not too worried.

I'm more worried about optimization but I hear that is going OK.

Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It still needs more marketing. GW2 and Diablo 3 market their games years before their releases. Thats why they managed to rack up lotsa sales on day 1.
At this point I still see it lacking in this department
They'll need to market a couple months a head of time..if the game even comes out this year. They definetely don't need to waste resources on CGI trailer and commercials though. Plenty of others ways to market these days.

Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It still needs more marketing. GW2 and Diablo 3 market their games years before their releases. Thats why they managed to rack up lotsa sales on day 1.
At this point I still see it lacking in this department
It's probably a good thing SOE isn't counting on box sales. What they are counting on is releasing the most polished game they can, because if they can't...nobody is going to stick around and buy anything...and they have to have that to survive.

I love F2P when done correctly and think it can be a good thing for the consumer instead of getting raped on games you can't ever get your money back for.

ps - VS looks like they could use some love in the dmg department. Saw a video of NC with some recoil stuff, basically had no recoil on an HA and on the hardest hitting faction. I dunno..

Last edited by Boone; 2012-09-03 at 12:59 PM.
Old 2012-09-03, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Diehard
Corporal

Originally Posted by Boone View Post
Do the graphics/weapons really need a dramatic overhaul? Haven't played, but you usually see graphics and these kind of things prettied up more and more the closer to release. Wouldn't really worry about that too much to be honest. I think the whole flow of the battles, etc is probably more important to get that right first.

The problem is most people playing think it's a marketing beta (that's what I call em) when in fact it looks to be a true/serious beta test (comparing to DUST just because been playing that). I bet only %5 are truely "testing" unfortunately. I'm not too worried.

I'm more worried about optimization but I hear that is going OK.

They'll need to market a couple months a head of time..if the game even comes out this year. They definetely don't need to waste resources on CGI trailer and commercials though. Plenty of others ways to market these days.

It's probably a good thing SOE isn't counting on box sales. What they are counting on is releasing the most polished game they can, because if they can't...nobody is going to stick around and buy anything...and they have to have that to survive.

I love F2P when done correctly and think it can be a good thing for the consumer instead of getting raped on games you can't ever get your money back for.

ps - VS looks like they could use some love in the dmg department. Saw a video of NC with some recoil stuff, basically had no recoil on an HA and on the hardest hitting faction. I dunno..
I wouldnt worry about marketing if its a single player. The fact that its MMO F2P that makes marketing even more essential than ever.

I also agree that focussing on making the game polished is very important as well, but whats the use if nobody seems to be interested or worse, knows that the game even existed. Remember, this game especially, relies on numbers of players to make it successful.
Old 2012-09-03, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
TestyVenom
Private

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Sure the game has problems right now, that's why we're testing it - so we can help to find them and propose fixes that work.

There does seem to be too much "playing" and not enough "testing" from some quarters.
This. ^

It's a BETA. Testing is in progress, and so is development. A lot of the components of the game aren't even implemented, yet, and some are far from being finalized. The only people who judge the game now are fools. Frankly, I'm having a blast, and even the frustrating moments are somewhat enjoyable.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
If this game fails I will be surprised as hell.
This, too. ^^^
Old 2012-09-03, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
camycamera
Major

I definitely don't think that it will "fail" because it has already innovated the MMOFPS genre, and has basically revived the genre. It is a beta.

However, some people said that in the beta there are never those "huge large-scale battles" because of something about vehicles having very little health, or that it was pointless because there were no walls around some bases or something, but this is what the game sets out to do, and I hope they fix this problem these people seem to complain about, but this is what beta is for. I just sure as hell PS2 keeps it's promise. BTW I haven't played it yet.... and probably never will (with this PC, anyway).
Old 2012-09-02, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gugabalog
Major

It is a Beta. The criticism is a good thing. The more there is the more likely problems will be fixed.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
It is a Beta. The criticism is a good thing. The more there is the more likely problems will be fixed.
where the heck is the like button!?!, oh right that's the other place

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-09-02, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Syphus
Staff Sergeant

Who are "people" exactly?

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Does anyone take someone seriously who talks about the graphics being dated?

And, on the off chance you're not just stupid / blind / trolling or anything else, I can point you to the number of games with "dated" or "goofy" graphics that are quite successful.
Old 2012-09-02, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dartan
Corporal

somebody said textures will be upgraded after the beta? Why would that be the case..unless he meant extra ultra option..
Old 2012-09-03, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dartan View Post
somebody said textures will be upgraded after the beta? Why would that be the case..unless he meant extra ultra option..
I think there are 2 different texture discussions...

1) There are certain textures (some rocks, building walls, etc.) in the beta that are very low resolution blurry blobs. I'm pretty sure Smedley has said these will be updated before launch.

2) There are 'ultra' texture versions of the existing high resolution textures... some of which were available in the early tech test. PS2 is/was not expected to run on current hardware with these textures... I'm uncertain of the status of their future availability.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

No. it won't fail. People are comparing certain systems to PS1 when they are not intended to be better than the PS1 systems, namely the cert system and the class system.

Disgruntled vets love to point out how superior the PS1 systems were instead of judging PS2's on it's own merit
Old 2012-09-02, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by thegreekboy View Post
Disgruntled vets love to point out how superior the PS1 systems were instead of judging PS2's on it's own merit
That's not doing justice to them. How about there are simply people who judge PS2 systems as poor? Why does a judgment always have to be a positive one during beta? Because what you're insinuating is they simply "haven't accepted it is different".

It is you who doesn't accept that they might simply be right! Unfortunately, many of these critiqued points are considered "beyond critique". Considering the system that is wanted is not considered optional right now on some system mechanics for various reasons. That just leaves the only thing to do restating the critique ad infinitum which makes it sound negative even if it is constructively intended, because any constructive posting that has been done is simply not considered. Meaning the perceived problem won't go away over time as long as the issue isn't solved. If the solution is unacceptable, that doesn't mean the system in place becomes more acceptable or appealing.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-09-02 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kipper
Captain

The core game is FPS. The unique selling point is massive scale.

These are the fixed points that won't change and that make it Planetside.

I'd say very few other things aren't up for being changed if something can be an improvement - the engine will be built to handle changes in rule sets fairly easily I think.

If enough people don't like same thing about any given feature and there's a better way, I think they'd go for it - at least for a try.

Why can't they change the physics settings or the TTK it how the guns handle if that's what most people want? Of course they can.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion