Will this game fail? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This aint a beer belly, its a fuel tank for a sex machine!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-02, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Will this game fail?

Originally Posted by thegreekboy View Post
Disgruntled vets love to point out how superior the PS1 systems were instead of judging PS2's on it's own merit
That's not doing justice to them. How about there are simply people who judge PS2 systems as poor? Why does a judgment always have to be a positive one during beta? Because what you're insinuating is they simply "haven't accepted it is different".

It is you who doesn't accept that they might simply be right! Unfortunately, many of these critiqued points are considered "beyond critique". Considering the system that is wanted is not considered optional right now on some system mechanics for various reasons. That just leaves the only thing to do restating the critique ad infinitum which makes it sound negative even if it is constructively intended, because any constructive posting that has been done is simply not considered. Meaning the perceived problem won't go away over time as long as the issue isn't solved. If the solution is unacceptable, that doesn't mean the system in place becomes more acceptable or appealing.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-09-02 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2012-09-02, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

If this game fails I will be surprised as hell.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-09-02, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Yeah, even if just because the scale of battle is unrivaled. Just as long as management avoids major no-no's, the general playerbase will always come back.

The main issue is IMO to keep non-zerg subgroups interested and from becoming apathic to the meta-game due to not having enough control over it.
Old 2012-09-02, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

I can't believe this game will fail. It may not be what people hype themselves to think this game is but it's mad fun and with so much yet to be implemented, I can only like it more as it happens.
Old 2012-09-02, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
cellinaire
Captain

What do you mean by 'fail' ? Like, shutting down all servers within 1~2 years?

Or, while didn't achieve huge financial success like WoW, at least making profit like EQ(13+ years and still making annual expansions).

Or, if miracle happens, dozens of millions of total subscribers.
Old 2012-09-02, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Fenrys
Major

If Air and MAXs aren't nerfed into oblivion, it will be a failure in my eyes.
Old 2012-09-02, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SFJake
Sergeant

Game has basic, basic, basic flaws. The gunplay is awful, the vehicles handle like crap, the grindy F2P crap is a joke, etc.

I'm giving it a chance until its out of Beta, but I expect crap, to be honest. I expect something that might financially be successful but will still receive all the crap I can give it. I don't want it to be another shit shooter that does nothing right, but I'm really scared it'll end up like that anyway.
Old 2012-09-02, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ajax
Contributor
Private

Imo... this game can not really start to enter its own until it is fully released... once outfits get fully established.... once outfits get their sops ... and have a stable enough game to start developing some real stratagies and tactics... once the command rank structure gets put in place and the zerg can at least be influenced.... once all that happens... I think we will have a beast of a game.... I am loving the beta and cant wait to see esamir!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-09-03, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Dartan View Post
It's so strange, a while back I made this topic when I was quite impressed with the scope and graphics but now the more details emerge the more people are absolutely disappointed with every aspect of it when they actually play it for a period of time.

Do you think this is a valid indicator on how the game will be or is the public beta a huge mistake since very negative rumors are spreading everywhere?
Well... depends on how intelligent the reader is of interpret what he reeds.

You need to understand where the author is coming from and what his expectations where on the game. In general most players that "hate" on a game usually do so because he/she had way too unrealistically high expectation on the game in the first place.

And thinking there ever will be a game that does not have anything that they could have done better is also stupid. Game designers usually try to compressor as mush as they can to try to appeal to as broad audience as possible. Not saying this is a good idea in the first place, a watered down soup does not taste that good in the end of the day. But the producers only care about making as mush money as possible, not to make the best game ever.

Depends how you define "fails". So far "fails" in the MMORPG world have been defined as not getting more subs then WoW after 3 months... and if we use that definition there is a big chance it will..

But PS2 is a good game... or will be a good game. Maybe not the best game ever produced all categories, but I have played allot of games that are allot worse.

What I miss in this game is a sens of accomplishments. You can say that I'm an achievement hoe and there are not mush in this game you unlock by game play. Most things are bought either by SC or Aurixium that are earned by just being online...

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-09-03 at 12:15 AM.
Old 2012-09-03, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
TestyVenom
Private

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Any negativity can only be coming from people who don't understand what a beta test is / is for.

Sure the game has problems right now, that's why we're testing it - so we can help to find them and propose fixes that work.

There does seem to be too much "playing" and not enough "testing" from some quarters.
This. ^

It's a BETA. Testing is in progress, and so is development. A lot of the components of the game aren't even implemented, yet, and some are far from being finalized. The only people who judge the game now are fools. Frankly, I'm having a blast, and even the frustrating moments are somewhat enjoyable.

This, too. ^^^
Old 2012-09-03, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
camycamera
Major

I definitely don't think that it will "fail" because it has already innovated the MMOFPS genre, and has basically revived the genre. It is a beta.

However, some people said that in the beta there are never those "huge large-scale battles" because of something about vehicles having very little health, or that it was pointless because there were no walls around some bases or something, but this is what the game sets out to do, and I hope they fix this problem these people seem to complain about, but this is what beta is for. I just sure as hell PS2 keeps it's promise. BTW I haven't played it yet.... and probably never will (with this PC, anyway).
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-03, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The answer is no.
Old 2012-09-03, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
EVILoHOMER
Major

I've played pretty much every main MMO beta for the past decade and games in beta never change much at all. That's the definition of beta though, the content is pretty much set in stone and it's really balancing and bug fixing. Especially with SOE, their games usually launch pretty quickly once they hit beta and they seem to never really do a lot.

If you do not like Planetside 2 now, you wont ever like it, there will be no miracle patch. My problems with the game are core mechanics which aren't going to be fixed. Sadly it just doesn't feel like Planetside and so it isn't the game I wanted and again sadly my friends feel the same way.

Problem is if you say anything negative about the game, you end up getting flamed for some reason. So any feedback the developers are getting tends to get hidden by the fanbois who will defend everything.
Old 2012-09-03, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dartan View Post
somebody said textures will be upgraded after the beta? Why would that be the case..unless he meant extra ultra option..
I think there are 2 different texture discussions...

1) There are certain textures (some rocks, building walls, etc.) in the beta that are very low resolution blurry blobs. I'm pretty sure Smedley has said these will be updated before launch.

2) There are 'ultra' texture versions of the existing high resolution textures... some of which were available in the early tech test. PS2 is/was not expected to run on current hardware with these textures... I'm uncertain of the status of their future availability.
Old 2012-09-03, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Notser
Staff Sergeant

If by fail they won't recoup the investment, no it won't. If fail to endure 9 years like PS1, no to that either. But if the game could be surpassed by another mmofps, maybe but not atm
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion