Vech. Pilot Armor - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A virtual nudist colony, lets get nekkid!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-12, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Vech. Pilot Armor

So I noticed in TB's videos a Terran Jump Jet Infantry driving a Prowler. As far as I understand MAX and Rexo suits are still unable to pilot vehicles but I'm also surprized the jet infantry is able to pilot as well. Given the fact that jet infantry are mobile infantry it doesn't make much sense to have them pilot vehicles such as tanks. If they need transportation they can be passengers or drive the ATV's. And their bulky jump pack shouldn't fit in the vehicle which would make sense.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or maybe they allowed them to pilot vehicles in the E3 demo but Jump Jet Infantry should be in the same boat of MAX and Rexo suits in regards of vehicle piloting.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vanu Techpriest
Corporal

Re: Vech. Pilot Armor

The jump jets only allow for short jumps really like onto a rooftop. MAX's can't drive vehicles partly because of balance and also because it's not realistic for the giant mech suits to fit in a driver seat.

Light Assault aren't nearly as powerful as a Max and also not as versatile when it comes to weapon selection like Anti-Vehicle, Anti-Air, Anti-Infantry, etc.

Last edited by Vanu Techpriest; 2012-06-12 at 11:40 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Light Assault is going to be a pilot loadout of choice due to its ability to allow the pilot to skip the safe ejection mechanism and rely upon their jetpack to get them to the ground safely. That means they can substitute the ejection seat for something like flares or better weapons.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-12, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

As far as I know, it's valid for heavy assault to drive vehicles. I didn't hear anything to the contrary on the E3 streams...

Limiting the driver/pilot role to light assault and below in PS1 had a big tactical effect... I'm curious to see how this plays out in PS2 myself.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

I think Engineer will be the driver/pilot class of choice in the long run. I'd rather be able to land and repair than bail out for free.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Kayos
Corporal

Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
I think Engineer will be the driver/pilot class of choice in the long run. I'd rather be able to land and repair than bail out for free.
I agree, most dedicated pilots will probably be Engineers so they can repair and get back into the fight faster.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

If your going to be technical, I don't see why anyone besides Infiltrators should be able to drive vehicles. Bulky Armor and weapons are not exactly easy to drive with. If you can fit full-sized rifles and gadgets into a cockpit, a carbine and a jump pack can't be that much harder to stow away.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-06-12, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Infantry that rely on their equipment in combat, IE MAX, Heavy Suit, and Jump Jet shouldnt pilot the more specific vehicles. Their roles are infantry in combat. This would then only leave Infiltrator, Engineer, and Combat Medic to pilot vehicles.

Just seems for a class thats supposed to get in your face and jump jet around with a jet pack wouldn't be spending much time driving a vehicle
Old 2012-06-12, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
Light Assault is going to be a pilot loadout of choice due to its ability to allow the pilot to skip the safe ejection mechanism and rely upon their jetpack to get them to the ground safely. That means they can substitute the ejection seat for something like flares or better weapons.
Isn't that kinda cheating the game a little?
Old 2012-06-12, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vorgan
Private

Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
But what about the autorepair certifications? I feel like going Light Assault + jetpack + autorepair negates the need for playing as an engineer, and for the ejection seat.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
Isn't that kinda cheating the game a little?
Not really, it looks like an intentional design choice. Most likely MAX suits will be the only classes unable to board normal vehicle slots.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Vorgan View Post
But what about the autorepair certifications? I feel like going Light Assault + jetpack + autorepair negates the need for playing as an engineer, and for the ejection seat.
If you want to play the air game you don't need to eject, though. The ejection seat mod and jumpjets both sacrifice your mission-relevant potential to negate a weakness that is not important

If you want to be able to bail out when in the right spot or near death, sure you can. But if you only care about the air game you won't, so you can get back in the air faster

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-06-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
RovingDeath
Sergeant

I don't see any problem with light assault with jetpacks piloting vehicles, but this thread just gave me a thought:

Jetpack + ATV + Ramp = OMG!!!
Old 2012-06-12, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Azren
Sergeant Major

any serious pilot/driver will be engineer, the rest will be easy kills anyway, so why worry?
Old 2012-06-12, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
If your going to be technical, I don't see why anyone besides Infiltrators should be able to drive vehicles. Bulky Armor and weapons are not exactly easy to drive with. If you can fit full-sized rifles and gadgets into a cockpit, a carbine and a jump pack can't be that much harder to stow away.
But infil can have sniper rifles.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion