News: Exclusive Terran Republic Character Model - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Killing fans since October 02'
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-02-13, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Exclusive Terran Republic Character Model

Originally Posted by Surge72 View Post
I hope the TR lose the goggles. They would be perfect then.
Old 2011-02-13, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

The character models looks very Unreal Engine 3ish to me. Would explain (somewhat) how this sequel is being released relatively fast if they use an existing engine. I can imagine then that they had already started work on the Planetside infrastructure before that survey was released, just nothing specific, but the general stuff that would apply to pretty much all scenarios (large open world battles, vehicles, etc.).

[nerd mode: on]
Looking very nice. Can NOT wait for more solid info and to actually play this game again.... Urgh. The anticipation is a mix between being 6 years old and awaiting christmas eve and being 90 years old and awaiting the grim reaper. I can't WAIT to play this beast of a game again, but on the other hand I fear that they might not to the sequel justice. Any words like instanced, PvE, Classes or 2 factions (+1 NPC faction) will send chills down my spine.

Please please please be like PlanetSide, please please smed I beg you I will be your personal slave for the rest of your life just DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!1!11one!!!!nine11!
[ /nerd mode off]

*ahum*

PS. Shout out to all Purple Valor (werner VS) soldiers that might be browsing! Hope to be playing together again in this.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Its just that i've not seen a good Unreal Engine 3 environment yet that hasn't been full of over the top bloom, desaturated dull colours and distance blur to hurt your eyes. Also things dont blend well in that engine, like grass into the land etc. If they can get round those problems, then thats great.

Lets hope it looks like this if its unreal engine!

YouTube - Real-Time Neuschwanstein Environment Castle UDK
Meh thats designer choices. They could've adjusted all that if they wanted. An engine is the very basics, you can change it to suit your needs.

All Points Bulletin (not the best of games) was on the UE3 as well and there was hardly any bloom etc. in that game. And it's an MMOFPS (barely).

I do hope that it can handle huge battles like Smed says. APB on UE3 only allowed for 60 players in one district (same map) and only allowed groups of 4 people to battle against eachother with a possibility of a max of 8vs8 and even then the game had some major lag and stability issues at the start. And required a beast of a machine to run (especially memory wise, but that was mostly due to insane amounts of customization you could do).

Global Agenda uses UE3 too if i'm correct, and they too only allow battles the size you see in FPS games. I hope SOE did some hardcore coding to the engine, perhaps added some sort of licensed technology to it that will allow for the huge battles we all crave.

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-02-13 at 01:05 PM.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Rubius
Private

Needs more VS.
Old 2011-02-13, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Surge72
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
"Haters gonna hate"
My main is a TR actually. I just think that the goggles make them look less awesome than they would otherwise look without them.
Old 2011-02-13, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

OH SHIT
Old 2011-02-13, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Hamma
PSU Admin

I am not so sure you can tell what engine the game is in based on the various screenshots. It could be anything at this point really since we don't know.

I love the level of detail and can't wait to see the other armors. Glad to see some TR Representation after all the NC shots!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-13, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I am not so sure you can tell what engine the game is in based on the various screenshots. It could be anything at this point really since we don't know.

I love the level of detail and can't wait to see the other armors. Glad to see some TR Representation after all the NC shots!
Hmm not entirely true. Each engine has certain very recognizable characteristics. Hero Engine for instance looks vary clay/cartoonish. Unreal Engine 3 has a certain look to the characters, especially the way the hair and skin is done realistically. This doesn't mean you can't change that look at all (APB for instance) but unchanged it has a certain defining look to it.

Examples:

Only other engine that I know of that has similar realistic character looks is Crytek

But it seems to be a lesser choice as Engine, the UE has always been known as one of the best engines out there in general (especially FPS) and highly customizable and flexible. If a game has realistic looking character models then that alone gives it a high probability it uses the UE3 simply because its so widely used

In fact, if you know a game uses a licensed engine then guessing its UE3 probably makes you right most of the times

The thing that makes me somewhat doubt it is the way the eyes look on the character.

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-02-13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2011-02-13, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Jonny
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
Meh thats designer choices. They could've adjusted all that if they wanted. An engine is the very basics, you can change it to suit your needs.

Global Agenda uses UE3 too if i'm correct, and they too only allow battles the size you see in FPS games. I hope SOE did some hardcore coding to the engine, perhaps added some sort of licensed technology to it that will allow for the huge battles we all crave.
Yes you're right, and you too John. Its what they do with it that counts and as i say i hope they break the unreal engine trend if they use it and have almost no bloom (as in the natural world) with nice colourful environments and little/subtle depth of field if any. I think the most important thing for the look of a game is a seamless game world, like in fallout 3 everything felt part of a whole. They also had this cool effect on foliage going on where it didn't anti-alias weirdly at a distance and faded in well.

As you say, i'd be worried as i've not seen UE3 used for any big environments or anything close to planetsides scale, so I hope it can tackle that. Fingers crossed for some enviro pics soon.

The model looks great by the way!

Last edited by Jonny; 2011-02-13 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2011-02-13, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Well done! From the pictures I have seen so far, it almost seems as if PS would have slightly better graphics than BF BC2 for example. I hope they got a decent engine as I don't want to buy a new PC
Old 2011-02-13, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
Well done! From the pictures I have seen so far, it almost seems as if PS would have slightly better graphics than BF BC2 for example. I hope they got a decent engine as I don't want to buy a new PC
someone who had a way worse video card than me (I have 8800gt), a quadcore @ 2.4ghz, and 3gb of ram was told by smedley in an email if they turn the graphics down they should be able to run PSN good. Hopefully his definition of good is 40+ fps in a big fight and not 20+ or something.

Don't remember where I saw the email, sorry.
Old 2011-02-13, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
someone who had a way worse video card than me (I have 8800gt), a quadcore @ 2.4ghz, and 3gb of ram was told by smedley in an email if they turn the graphics down they should be able to run PSN good. Hopefully his definition of good is 40+ fps in a big fight and not 20+ or something.

Don't remember where I saw the email, sorry.
I hope this turns out to be the truth.
Old 2011-02-13, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
I hope this turns out to be the truth.
Yup. It was vague though, so smedley could be talking about staring at a wall getting 30 fps as good. XD
Old 2011-02-13, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Leyxa
Private

Considering the fact that SOE is using Unreal Engine 3 in other games successfully and that the TR character render is easily produceable by UE3, I think you could put big money on PS:N using UE3. Bet the farm. In my experience, when UE3 is in the hands of technically capable developers, it can also scale down incredibly far. My original Planetside box had trouble running Planetside yet it could run Unreal Tournament 3 at about 25ish FPS on the lowest settings. So a high end computer from the Planetside era could conceivably run Planetside Next well enough for dedicated combat engineers. :P

That character definitely looks good though. Very looking forward to this.
Old 2011-02-13, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Leyxa View Post
Considering the fact that SOE is using Unreal Engine 3 in other games successfully and that the TR character render is easily produceable by UE3, I think you could put big money on PS:N using UE3. Bet the farm. In my experience, when UE3 is in the hands of technically capable developers, it can also scale down incredibly far. My original Planetside box had trouble running Planetside yet it could run Unreal Tournament 3 at about 25ish FPS on the lowest settings. So a high end computer from the Planetside era could conceivably run Planetside Next well enough for dedicated combat engineers. :P

That character definitely looks good though. Very looking forward to this.
Aye look at Mass Effect 1. Very scaled down. And then they pumped graphics up in Mass Effect 2 by a lot. Both run on the UE3. It also shows how you can really make something quite unique with the engine. I mean ME is still somewhat of an FPS combat wise but it has a lot of different features opposed to your general FPS like RB Vegas or Gears of War.

But in not so technically capable hands the engine seems to put major strains on resources without accomplishing much. So, SOE, show us what you got
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion