Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-07-29, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Very cheap 1TB SSD!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227753

If anyone is looking for a 1TB SSD this may be your man. You just need a 4x PCIe slot. 8)

Same price as the 250gb SATA III drives.
Old 2012-07-29, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Very cheap 1TB SSD!

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227753

If anyone is looking for a 1TB SSD this may be your man. You just need a 4x PCIe slot. 8)

Same price as the 250gb SATA III drives.
I was reading about this Hybrid drive and everything was looking great until I hit this: (reference)

Please tell me that's a flawed test and the drive doesn't really use 50% of an i5-2500's horsepower sitting idle. I guess the selling point here is that the hybrid uses less cpu than two Revo3 480's. 76%...lol Sounds like they need to hit up Xilinx for a hardware controller and ease up on that cpu usage.

Edit: I guess if you have a recent 6 core processor, or multi-processor motherboard this may not be that bad. Dedicate some cores just for the hybrid storage software and run apps on whats left. This is essentially at top of the tech curve at the moment, and requires the same from some of the surrounding components.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-07-29 at 02:57 AM.
Old 2012-07-29, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

To call it a 1TB SSD is a little dishonest.

This is basically an OCZ Agility 3 120GB + Toshiba MK-1059GSM 1GB.
The SSD acting as a massive cache for the HDD.

The cause of the high CPU usage is due to software having to move stuff between the SSD and HDD all the time.

Due to the background usage I don't think its very good for anyone running anything demanding on the CPU, (ie games). Unless you got loads of CPU headroom kicking about the trade off wont be worth it.
Old 2012-07-29, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Is that one CPU or all CPUs?
Old 2012-07-29, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I have a Crucial cache SSD behind my main hard disk. It works great, my system certainly doesn't idle at 50%...more like 1 or 2% and that's not because of the dataplex software.

Please tell me that's a flawed test and the drive doesn't really use 50% of an i5-2500's horsepower sitting idle.
The graph as presented doesn't even make sense. CPU utilization, measured in MB/s? "Higher is better"?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-07-29, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
The graph as presented doesn't even make sense. CPU utilization, measured in MB/s? "Higher is better"?
LOL...good catch. Hadn't noticed that. If you read the article it meshes with what the graph is supposed to say, CPU usage, and not MB/s.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

It also goes up to 120.. 8) I think that graph may means something were not thinking of!

MB/s per clock cycle. Higher is better? Maybe it's saying the data transfer during different circumstances. The drive specs on newegg says 900mb/s... That still doesn't make sense though.

I think it's just on one processor core. So if possible spread out over xCores is /x percentage. at idle is 8% for a 6core? 97% would still only be 16% per core. I didn't read enough of the article(problem possibly 8p) did it say more about it. ONly skimmed it.

You noticed it was a secondary drive. Was the main drive doing anything? In the next page it says a main drive is used that is SSD. Do you need to take off the difference?

How would this work on a home made serve with nothing but these as drive on a bunch of 4x pcie slots and 2-4x xcore processors. 8) Raided of course 8) Running linux or some other server software. 8p One good vid card or two and you could host and play the game at the same time!

Code:
          General

Brand OCZ
Series Revo
DriveModel RVDHY-FH-1T
Device Type Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Used For Consumer

Physical

Form Factor PCI-E
Capacity 1TB
Memory Components MLC
InterfacePCI-Express 2.0 x4
Controller SandForce
Width 98.42mm
Depth 167.64mm
Height 22.15mm
Weight 289g

Performance

Max Sequential ReadUp to 910 MB/s
Max Sequential WriteUp to 810 MB/s4
KB Random WriteUp to 120,000 IOPS
MTBF600,000 hours

Features

FeaturesAverage Write IOPS: 65,000 IOPS
Sequential Read AS-SSD: Up to 290 MB/s
Sequential Write AS-SSD: Up to 130 MB/s
4KB Random Read AS-SSD: 30,500 IOPS (115MB/s)
4KB Random Write AS-SSD: 32,000 IOPS (120 MB/s)

HighestPerforming Hybrid Drive on the Market

OCZ SuperScaleStorage Accelerator

OCZ Virtualized Controller Architecture

Up to 55 bits correctable per 512-byte sector (BCH) (varies depending on exact configuration)

Intelligent Caching Software

128-bit & 256-bit AES-compliant

Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (SMART) Support

Read unrecoverable bit error rate (UBER) 10e-16 (<1in 1016 bits read)

Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit; Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit Support

Fully compliant with the PCIe Electromechanical Specification Rev. 2.0, and PCI-Express Base Specification Rev. 2.0

Environmental

Power Consumption (Idle)8.1W
Power Consumption (Active)10W
Operating Temperature+5°C ~ +50°C
Storage Temperature0°C ~ +60°C
SERVER
Mobo: Quad Proccesor 256GB motherboard server! $809 You can put a 4x in an 8x slot right? 8)
Processor: Interlagos 16x amd operatone 4x 64cores $4200 This has to be able to play games regardless of the workstation setup!
Hdd: Drive in question x3 $900 Plus more of those fast 480x drives the testing mentioned were faster on the side. 8)
Vid: Couldn't pick out a workstation. Don't know how to tell what is better. $2000-4000
Ram: Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered w/ Parity DDR3 1333 x32 $2208
PSU: 1200watt hot plug ?? $400 1or2x
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811815012 $200?? needs ssi meb. possibly can be modded to fit EATX.
Water cooling possibly.

These are the highest prices. You could bring it down a few Gs.

How good of a 3d modeling/workstation/server computer would that make. 8) Just no sound8( or you have to sacrifice an initial drive for a sound card... Can you do external sound setups? Wasn't sure if the 3pin din stereo on the workstation cards was for sound or 3d video somewhow.

Maybe Hamma or someone could plop own 15 grand and give us a test! 8p Get sponsors from OCZ and other companies and add them for free trial hardware and money! 8D

If the case has extra slots someone has to promise me to put in a mini electric oven to cook the hotpockets in! 8) And a mini fridge to go with the water cooling for small drinks and the frozen hotpockets(BTW hotpockets are easy to make at home make filling and modify any good roll or yeastless bicuit recipe you like and walla! freeze and or cook at whatever stage!). In the computer expansion slots though! You coud get an entire mini cooking area in your server! Hell you could even try to use the CPUs in the cooking process with a little custom work. They could provide even cooking temperatures being pushed into the oven or help heat the elements along with the PSUs. Could you extend a peltier form the CPU to the cooking device and still watercool? Or have one that can be turned on to utilize the heating while cooking? to suck off extra heat when you desire. Could be a fun engineering task!

I'd recommend attempting a stone oven of sorts for proper pizza cooking. 8p

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-07-30 at 06:26 PM.
Old 2012-07-31, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
It also goes up to 120.. 8) I think that graph may means something were not thinking of!

MB/s per clock cycle. Higher is better? Maybe it's saying the data transfer during different circumstances. The drive specs on newegg says 900mb/s... That still doesn't make sense though.

I think it's just on one processor core. So if possible spread out over xCores is /x percentage. at idle is 8% for a 6core? 97% would still only be 16% per core. I didn't read enough of the article(problem possibly 8p) did it say more about it. ONly skimmed it.
No to all, see below.

"Since the RevoDrive Hybrid is at heart a software rather than hardware-based Hybrid solution, higher CPU utilization is to be expected but exactly how much is the question.

To obtain an accurate picture of exactly how much CPU horsepower this device truly requires we have configured the RevoDrive Hybrid as a secondary “D” data drive and let the system idle with a minimum of processes running. Using Windows' built in Performance Monitor we can see exactly how much processing power is being dedicated to a given storage solution. Lastly, we run Crystal DiskMark while monitoring CPU utilization.

The processor used is a Core i5 2500K which is running at stock speed.

"While a 24% reduction in idle processor consumption compared to RevoDrive X3 is step in the right direction we would hesitate to go as far as saying this is a good result. To be blunt, 24% reduction in CPU cycles still means that even while idling the Hybrid demands more processing cycles than many modern applications require. So when the system is doing absolutely nothing a modern quad core CPU will still be consistently hitting 50% usage. So just like the RevoDrive 3 x2, regardless of the processor you are using, the RevoDrive Hybrid will never let your system enter a low power state.
"

Yes, the guy who made the graph borked it up abit. However, if we ignore the lazy graph errors, the body of the text embraces what we originally thought to be true, this storage solution is a cpu hog.
Old 2012-07-31, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah it's obviously supposed to read "% CPU utilization" but it still doesn't make sense to me.
What the hell is it doing processing that much stuff at idle? Idle means to me that you're not running any applications and just letting the computer sit there. That would entail no harddrive access happening.
Essentially, if you're using 25% of the CPU...you aren't idling. What is it doing?
Using nearly 100% CPU is also astounding.

So we go and google and it seems like this is the result of it not working properly.
https://www.google.com/search?q=revodrive+CPU+use

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum