Welcome Back - We want your feedback! - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only alphabet you need to know.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-29, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #241
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Re: Welcome Back - We want your feedback!

Right thread this time?

First impression: Like the colors. But layout strikes as confusing / disorientating for the first few seconds of navigating.

I think this is due:
- Where a news post starts and ends is not clearly defined. Quotes stand out, but what is one news post sort of blurs into the whole. Only Read More kind of gives a clear indication where it ends.
- Can't really figure out what it is, but the bar on the left seems to annoy me in someway :P Perhaps its because it flows into the main news column rather than stands truly on its own and it contains so much texts that is differently aligned it becomes a bit messy to the eye?
- The image showcase at the top seems a bit over the top big to me, unneccesary and not aesthetically pleasing.
- The Media/Teamspeak item just seems to hang there at the bottom kind of like it's lost :P

This is just first impression feedback, it might be if i use it more things are perfect. But colors scheme and overal design except these few things is great Nice work!

/criticalhatoff

PS. Told ya i'd take my job of giving feedback seriously. Good thing I hired myself ey!
Old 2012-03-29, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #242
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks for the feedback!

I've just changed the forum ignore feature so that if you ignore someone you do not see their posts at all. No more urge to click "View post"

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-31, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #243
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

I've just changed the forum ignore feature so that if you ignore someone you do not see their posts at all. No more urge to click "View post"
Now I'll have to log out when I want to see your news announcements?
Old 2012-03-31, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #244
Hamma
PSU Admin

I don't believe admins can be ignored.

Old 2012-04-01, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #245
Tssha
Corporal

I gotta say, I'm not such a fan of the way the graphic...shifter thing is implemented on the front page. The bar at the bottom is IN the picture, which blocks part of the picture and it doesn't even fade out to give you a better look. Moreover, when you click the bar on the bottom, it's a link to something else and it doesn't change the shifter to the image associated with that picture, which is very jarring and doesn't operate at all like I'd expect it to.

It's supposed to whet your appetite for the news item it's pitching, and being unable to page back or forward to get a better (i.e. larger than a thumbnail) look at the compelling imagery seems to run counter to its purpose. Since it's a link (and not an image control like you'd expect), you're jarringly taken away from the image you're trying to get a better look at, instead of doing what you expected it to do and displaying the image and teaser text you wanted to take a better look at. I've since learned not to click it, but it was definitely bothersome the first few times I tried it. Even using it as intended feels...annoying.

For examples of what I'm talking about, I refer you to the probably familiar example of Steam's shifter or the one on Good Old Games. Both give you some control over the image that shows up on the applet, as well as giving you the teaser right in the image.

Otherwise, it all looks great! I'm not sure exactly what it looked like before...it's been years since I last posted here, but after a bit of lurking I gotta say I like the look of the site and the forums.
Old 2012-04-01, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #246
Eighm
Sergeant

I like the empire tags in the recruiting section, but could you use the empire logo icons instead of the colored bars?
Old 2012-04-01, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #247
Hamma
PSU Admin

I was trying to do that but I couldn't quite get it right. It's easy to change now that it's implemented though.

Old 2012-04-02, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #248
Arby
Private

+1 internets for Hamma and team,

I think this is a big upGRADE for all planetside fans
Old 2012-04-05, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #249
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...-back-2717.htm

Please let us know if you find any issues! Also be honest! Let us know what you think of the new design.
I like it. I'm also glad I was able to use my old username. I'm very familiar with designing new websites, it's what I do, and also familiar with the fun of collaboration, good job!

Happy to see the PS2 developers dipping in too. That's one thing that also happened back in the early PS days here, good to see it still happening.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #250
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

It took me a little while to get used to the changes and now I think it's awesome. Easy to find what you're looking for and very pretty to look at. Good job, guys!
Old 2012-04-10, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #251
Sirisian
Colonel

I have a suggestion for the new site. When users try to make a new thread in the Planetside 2 forum put a warning in red "If you are going to ask a question relating to Planetside 2 and aren't sure if it's been answered please visit the information thread or ask in the IRC chat first.". Not sure if you have a programmer or want to maintain such a change. Just edit newthread.php and add http://pastebin.com/4dS6693c I think we might see a drop in some posts. (set the style on p tag to change the color).

Might be too much of a dependency. I know updating vBulletin usually wipes such changes.
Old 2012-04-10, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #252
Terrence M
Private

Well I do enjoy giving feedback, so... I do enjoy the fresh new look although I miss the empire themes and hope this is still in the pipeline.
Old 2012-04-10, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #253
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's on the list!

Old 2012-04-10, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #254
Shogun
Contributor
General

maybe i have another small thing to put on the list

i´m no coder, but i imagine this being an easy thing to do...

i would like an addition to the media page: videos
no rehosting, just a page where the mods can relink all the amazing videos of interviews, trailers and fanmades. maybe just a list with linked video names, or even a little description. without anny comment function. just the videolinks for faster access to older stuff. because it sucks to search old posts for some specific videolinks to show to friends for example.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-10, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #255
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Definitely something we want to do. I developed something like that previously for the site, we just never really completed it for release.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions