Why I always play East Coast servers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: like hot lesbian action without the hot lesbians!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-05, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Was_Ash_Emerald
Private

Why I always play East Coast servers

Being in Austin, my ping is about the same to each coast, but I prefer the East Coast servers for all games for the following reasons:

1. 75% of the US/Canada population lives in the East and Central time zones. While servers are often full in the early months of any popular game, over time they dwindle and if the game becomes lower populated overall, the "lead" East Coast servers will become significantly more populated than the "lead" West Coast servers almost all the time.

2. Euros. European players who like to play overnight will often make an alt character on East Coast USA servers in order to be in bigger battles. Ping penalties aren't that severe from West and Central Europe.

3. Latin American players. A trend that's somewhat recent, but there are a lot of gamers these days from Brazil especially. Internet routing comes up through Miami, and thus favors EC servers.

4. Maturity. I don't what it is, but East Coast players are somewhat less juvenile that West Coast players. I don't know why that is, but I've observed this trend in numerous games going back to Ultima Online.

Last edited by Was_Ash_Emerald; 2012-05-05 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NCLynx
Major

Re: Why I always play East Coast servers

I've actually never seen someone explain differences they've seen between the two types of servers. Kind of interesting, I guess it's not to surprising that they would be noticeably different.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

1, 2, and 3 all make perfect sense.
No one can argue with number 4.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Atheosim
Captain

Don't really understand 4, but 123 seems reasonable. I live on the furthest reaches of the west coast so I'm sort of doomed to stay here in terms of server choice.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SKYeXile
Major General

You missed the points that Mexicans get a better ping to west coaster servers along with Oceanic players or was the point to leave them out? Also Eruo's are irreverent, they're given their own servers, they don't like it, they can find a better job, that also goes for anybody in the military complaining about not been able to play.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-05 at 09:52 PM.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
WorldOfForms
Corporal

I played for years on Markov and Emerald (from beginning of PS through the merge) and I saw no difference between maturity levels.

There's a phenomenon called confirmation bias. Once you believe a certain group of people is a certain way, you'll cherry pick all behaviors that support that belief and conveniently forget anything that challenges the belief. Everybody does it, no one will admit to it.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Brusi
Contributor
Major

^this

There are complete fuckwits on both.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-05, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I don't think the maturity thing is correct. West Coasters just aren't as pretentious. We grew up throwing punches in lieu of arguing.

Old 2012-05-05, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Raka Maru
Major

Will have to stay on West coast because of Oceanic. Hoping they will someday adapt a universal ID to allow moving with your characters anywhere you want.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I don't think the maturity thing is correct. West Coasters just aren't as pretentious. We grew up throwing punches in lieu of arguing.
Yes, childhood in L.A. can affect your outlook. I know it did to me.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Yes, childhood in L.A. can affect your outlook. I know it did to me.
Vegas, baby!

Old 2012-05-05, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
The Kush
Captain

This post is garbage. One person assuming and throwing out opinions like they are facts. I've never noticed any difference and I've been playing planetside since 2004.
Old 2012-05-05, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
This post is garbage. One person assuming and throwing out opinions like they are facts. I've never noticed any difference and I've been playing planetside since 2004.
Yeah, stereotyping is never politically correct if we care about that sort of thing.

I do think he was stating his opinion, tho I don't agree with it either.
Old 2012-05-05, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Can't say I understand the point of the thread either. Whatever server you play on is your own business, not what the overall point of the thread was.

However what I really don't understand is the anger and jest I'm seeing coming from apparent West Coast players. Getting awful hifey for one guys opinion based off of his experience with playing on west coast servers over the past few years.

If being generalized and being called immature gets your panties in a bunch that bad I think you're in for a harsh reality check.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-05-05, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Was_Ash_Emerald
Private

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
You missed the points that Mexicans get a better ping to west coaster servers along with Oceanic players or was the point to leave them out? Also Eruo's are irreverent, they're given their own servers, they don't like it, they can find a better job, that also goes for anybody in the military complaining about not been able to play.
I've not notice many Mexicans playing online games; Oceanic still gives 200ms+ solid pings, so, while they can "play" on the West Coast USA server, it's not great. Pings from UK to Washington DC are usually under 100ms.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion