Customization Woes - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of mud wrestling wednesday.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-07, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

Re: Customization Woes

If you dont like how someone dresses you are more than within your rights to shoot them in game...PS Even if you arent impressed by someones custom armor they are still paying and helping the game and their ability to stand out ingame is their reward.

NOTHING shown has been outlandish or quirky. Honsestly though if there is and people pay for it...Thats their right to wear it...Do what you would do in real life when you see someone wearing something stupid...Ignore them or laugh at them.

EDIT: And to all the people who are saying "OH IT BREAKS THE IMMERSION BLAHDEBLAHDE BLAH...". First of all stupid crazy stuff happens in combat all the time...

Last edited by FPClark; 2012-05-07 at 08:12 PM.
Old 2012-05-07, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Raka Maru
Major

I gave fair warning that it could come off blunt the way I replied to this thread. The reason is all we are doing is rehashing.

But honestly, I would not like to see the things happen that you spoke of like clown feet. I doubt the Devs will put ridiculous things like that in the game, but they did mention truck nuts...

I think it will be ok. People will buy cool looking custom skins, I haven't seen any bad ones yet, have you?
Old 2012-05-07, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Pyreal
First Sergeant

I think I remember someone saying that Outfits would have unique camo patterns. True, false?
Old 2012-05-08, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #214
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
I gave fair warning that it could come off blunt the way I replied to this thread. The reason is all we are doing is rehashing.

But honestly, I would not like to see the things happen that you spoke of like clown feet. I doubt the Devs will put ridiculous things like that in the game, but they did mention truck nuts...

I think it will be ok. People will buy cool looking custom skins, I haven't seen any bad ones yet, have you?
i read somewhere that truck nuts are not going to be in the game.

Last edited by Purple; 2012-05-08 at 12:30 PM.
Old 2012-05-08, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #215
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I suppose they could do two types of cosmetic, one normal the other outlandish.

Have the normal ones not be able to be toggled off, but make sure they all look appropriate to the art style and theme of the game and the empire they are for.

Have the outlandish cosmetics not only be able to be toggled off, but have the off setting be the default. These would be ridiculous looking things like giant green afros and clown shoes, but would primarily be for the benefit of the player who purchased them, along with any other people who happened to want the silly stuff turned on.

Maybe best to just avoid the goofy stuff altogether though.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #216
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I suppose they could do two types of cosmetic, one normal the other outlandish.

Have the normal ones not be able to be toggled off, but make sure they all look appropriate to the art style and theme of the game and the empire they are for.

Have the outlandish cosmetics not only be able to be toggled off, but have the off setting be the default. These would be ridiculous looking things like giant green afros and clown shoes, but would primarily be for the benefit of the player who purchased them, along with any other people who happened to want the silly stuff turned on.

Maybe best to just avoid the goofy stuff altogether though.

Someone would have to let Devs know that a particular skin is outlandish or not if they will introduce categories. But then again the world would have have the ability to turn it all off again if someone doesn't like your cigar stubb.

Categories:
Military: camo, bullet holes, etc...
Outlandish: top hat, clown feet...
Cute: bunny ears, hello kitty colors...

Who decides? And then all would potentially be perceiving their own worlds... I think the Devs will stick to their military theme and not let us down, from what I've heard them say. But that is me being optimistic.
Old 2012-05-08, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Someone would have to let Devs know that a particular skin is outlandish or not if they will introduce categories. But then again the world would have have the ability to turn it all off again if someone doesn't like your cigar stubb.

Categories:
Military: camo, bullet holes, etc...
Outlandish: top hat, clown feet...
Cute: bunny ears, hello kitty colors...

Who decides? And then all would potentially be perceiving their own worlds... I think the Devs will stick to their military theme and not let us down, from what I've heard them say. But that is me being optimistic.
Yeah I'm really not worried about it myself. I don't really get people having problem with customizations that fit the theme of the game either.

The first game had different looking armor depending on your level. Real life military units throughout history have had differing levels of variation in their 'uniformity.'

Even the whole issue of having a desert camo tank in a snow environment doesn't really seem that big a deal. It's the middle of a war. Maybe it got redeployed before it could be repainted, because better to send a poorly camouflaged tank than no tank at all. Besides, there are warpgates in Planetside, it's not hard to imagine.

I guess the big issue is whether the option to turn them off would devalue the cosmetics though. Maybe a poll would be in order, to see how many people out of the PSU crowd would actually turn them off. Not a perfect sample pool, but what can you do?

Something like:

If given the option, would you toggle viewing customs skins off, or would you leave them visible?
1 - Keep them turned ON, but I wouldn't use cosmetics myself
2 - Keep them turned ON, especially since I would be using cosmetics
3 - Turn them OFF, and I wouldn't use cosmetics either
4 - Turn them OFF, despite the fact I wouldn't be able to see my own cosmetics
Old 2012-05-08, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Kipper
Captain

Poll would be a good idea, then we'd know more.

Another interesting thing would be to see whether the ability to toggle them would affect other peoples decisions to buy them.
Old 2012-05-08, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I dont know about a poll, but I would spend 20 bucks for truck nuts to hang off the back of my tank.
Old 2012-05-08, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Something like:

If given the option, would you toggle viewing customs skins off, or would you leave them visible?
1 - Keep them turned ON, but I wouldn't use cosmetics myself
2 - Keep them turned ON, especially since I would be using cosmetics
3 - Turn them OFF, and I wouldn't use cosmetics either
4 - Turn them OFF, despite the fact I wouldn't be able to see my own cosmetics
That poll wouldn't be indicative of the system I was proposing though. There is no reason for option 4 in your poll, as practically no one who uses cosmetics even slightly would ever turn them off if only given a simple opt-in or out option. The system I was proposing was not an opt-in or out system, it was one that let you decide whether to show or hide each individual cosmetic customization.
Old 2012-05-08, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
That poll wouldn't be indicative of the system I was proposing though. There is no reason for option 4 in your poll, as practically no one who uses cosmetics even slightly would ever turn them off if only given a simple opt-in or out option. The system I was proposing was not an opt-in or out system, it was one that let you decide whether to show or hide each individual cosmetic customization.
That seems kind of ridiculous. Every time you don't like a custom skin you go find it and toggle it off?

I guess it would be buried enough that it would be unlikely to lower the value of cosmetics, as few players would be anal enough to bother to turn anything off.

As long as they aren't adding anything out of line with the rest of the game though, it seems like kind of a weird and mostly useless feature. It kind of goes against the whole "foliage and clouds can't be toggled" mindset a little as well. If a camo pattern makes a vehicle 5% less visible, let it be so for all players. Likewise if it makes it stand out 20% more.

I'm not inherently against players being able to opt in or out with a lot of stuff, but this one doesn't seem very productive to me.
Old 2012-05-08, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

That seems kind of ridiculous. Every time you don't like a custom skin you go find it and toggle it off?

I guess it would be buried enough that it would be unlikely to lower the value of cosmetics, as few players would be anal enough to bother to turn anything off.
What are you talking about? Why would it necessarily be more difficult? It would be handled through a similar system to the way people find them to buy and use them. Either an in-game menu that shows all potential skins whether you own them or not, what you need to do to unlock or buy them, and offers a checkbox that you can click to hide the skin if you purchase the capability to do so. So, if you can find it to use or buy it, you can hide it.

As long as they aren't adding anything out of line with the rest of the game though, it seems like kind of a weird and mostly useless feature. It kind of goes against the whole "foliage and clouds can't be toggled" mindset a little as well. If a camo pattern makes a vehicle 5% less visible, let it be so for all players. Likewise if it makes it stand out 20% more.
I'd prefer there not to be camo, but I unfortunately think it's here to stay, and I do doubt it'll be blocked much as I'd want it to be. Even if it does look really gaudy and out of place, especially on the Vanu stuff.

I'm not inherently against players being able to opt in or out with a lot of stuff, but this one doesn't seem very productive to me.
They've been touting customization from the get go. This would just be one more step in that direction. If they really want to live up to the ideal, then they'll pursue it.
Old 2012-05-08, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
They've been touting customization from the get go.
So that they can have a way to provide the client for free and without a monthly subscription....

This thread is now officially lol. Every time someone makes a point you don't like, you ignore it or come up with some illogical reason why the bit of the game that makes money for the developers should be toggleable just for you.

Polls have been suggested - if you want to get a feel for what people are thinking (if that hadn't come across enough) then design a non-loaded question and run it. Then we can stop pointlessly repeating ourselves and getting nowhere.
Old 2012-05-08, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
Pyreal
First Sergeant

"If I pay money for camouflage everyone one else damn well better see it!"

How can the store legitimately offer a cosmetic upgrade like camo when every other player can simply check a box to disable it?

Also, camo has tactical value, not just cosmetic.
Old 2012-05-08, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
So that they can have a way to provide the client for free and without a monthly subscription....

This thread is now officially lol. Every time someone makes a point you don't like, you ignore it or come up with some illogical reason why the bit of the game that makes money for the developers should be toggleable just for you.

Polls have been suggested - if you want to get a feel for what people are thinking (if that hadn't come across enough) then design a non-loaded question and run it. Then we can stop pointlessly repeating ourselves and getting nowhere.
I'll make a poll when I have time. I'd want to do it justice and not just throw something together quickly like I usually do with these posts. Sorry if I have other things I have to do as well.

And I'm not ignoring facts, I simply disagree with their perception of the issue. I've been proposing it as a way that would also make money for the developers, a way to further augment their cash flow beyond just the customizations themselves, and to give players further options. And I believe that many who say they'd never purchase skins if a toggle were an option are, well, not lying, but making very premature decisions that they'd likely not follow through on.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion