I LOVE vehicle spam, it's NOT the problem of this game - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: HandGun meet ChainGun.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-07, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rolfski
Major

I LOVE vehicle spam, it's NOT the problem of this game

There, I said it. I know I will get fried for it in this forum, that recently seems to be "hijacked by drama queens" that only see doom for this game, so let the flaming begin.

The promise of this game is that size matters. It's the sheer scale that makes me having a blast every day I play it. Seeing my screen filled up with endless armor columns and huge swarms of air puts a big smile on my face every time. It makes me feel being part of a big war.
I also love the power this game is giving me. I can be anything at any time with almost no restriction. If a situation demands for it, I can instantly switch to the appropriate class or vehicle to handle the situation. It's this freedom that gives me a lot of joy in this game.

Lately, I'm reading a lot of suggestions that want to limit my power and freedom or want to turn this game into a small scale tactical shooter. Screw that, it's not what I signed up for in this game.

You can still have a very strategic game without limiting peoples ability to do whatever they want. Limiting vehicle spam (increasing timers and costs, etc.) is a solution to the wrong problem. Instead, the game should focus on giving me more power to fight vehicle spam: better launchers, deployable AV and AA turrets, artillery call-ins, etc.

I will probably not make myself popular by promoting vehicle spam but I truly see it as the essence of this game, so it's time to stand up and voice a different opinion.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-01-07 at 09:15 AM.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: I LOVE vehicle spam, it's NOT the problem of this game

Water runs downhill, it's NOT gravity's fault.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
james
Sergeant Major

So you want a game where you get farmed by libs and HE tanks
Old 2013-01-07, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

I doubt that I am the only one who wants to stay in a tank to have a fair chance of fighting.But I might be wrong.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by james View Post
Not sure that I agree with the OP, but that's not what he is saying at all.

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Instead, the game should focus on giving me more power to fight vehicle spam: better launchers, deployable AV and AA turrets, artillery call-ins, etc.

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-01-07 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by james View Post
I want a game were I have a fighting chance against them.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

I want a game were I have a fighting chance against them.
Having a fighting chance means drawing a line at what is, and what is not acceptable. To give infantry their place on the battlefield, where it matters, in a combined arms engagement may actually mean having to reduce vehicle spam.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

You can still have a very strategic game without limiting peoples ability to do whatever they want. Limiting vehicle spam (increasing timers and costs, etc.) is a solution to the wrong problem. Instead, the game should focus on giving me more power to fight vehicle spam: better launchers, deployable AV and AA turrets, artillery call-ins, etc.
I get what you're saying and I agree that having lots of vehicles around is fun, but the issue I have with more powerful AV and AA as a way to counter zergs is the effect is has on people who are rolling around in smaller groups rather than in zergs.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-01-07 at 09:31 AM.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Crator
Major General

Didn't think the majority of posters suggest limiting vehicle spam in PS2. They just want a game that allows the game to be more dynamic/better in the area of infantry fights.

Due to the nature of PS2 (Free-to-Play) with the resource system, they made the game have open ended certification system. Sure, some have suggested limiting vehicles, and to a degree that might help some. It's hard to say on that one actually. I really think making more defensible bases/towers is the way to go to helping this issue though. Better deployables could help a lot too I think.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
I get what you're saying and I agree that having lots of vehicles around is fun, but the issue I have with more powerful AV and AA as a way to counter zergs is the effect is has on people who are rolling around in smaller groups rather than in zergs.
Smaller groups should not go head-on in armor but play more tactical: capping smaller or secondary objectives devs said they will add to this game or defend bases that I expect will be more defensible against zergs in future updates.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I think lots of vehicles is great if the bases offer some kind of counter to that spam. Im really hoping that within the next few months the devs release some defense fixes for outposts and bases.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Canaris
Contributor
General

I have no problem with vehicle spam, they just shouldn't be able to bring it inside bases is all, leave a lil something for the poor infantry, no?

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-01-07, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Hey OP, I'm with you !!! (sort of).

Whenever we have a Prowler Zerg hitting us (and this happens often on Miller), we actually look forward to the ensuing Tank battle that starts up.

We - luckily - have been blessed with some good outfits on Miller regarding knowing how to play the game without resorting to just whining on the forums because a 5 man squad cant do anything anymore.

The TR and the VS seem to be the dominant factions on Miller, but slowly the NC are starting to get their act together and I've seen quite a few outfits spring up that cause us problems.

(I wont be naming outfits here as its not a e-peen contest)

Anyway, back on topic,

We have regular Tank battles, The area between Hvar -> Allatum -> Xenotech Labs -> Peris -> Ceres farms, and this occurs very often, and is some of the most fun fights you can have on PS2.

1. HAs taking out column after column.
2. AA MAXes being a right pain in the ass for ESFs.
3. Trying to sneak in that Rocket volley before a Skyguard sees you. Never hovering or else you're dead in 2 seconds.
4. Tanks shelling each other from a distance, trying to flank them, using terrain as an advantage....engineers running down the front line repairing vehicles.

I really dont see half the issues you guys mention here on these forums tbh, and I don't know, maybe the TR and NC on Miller actually know how to counter mass air and mass tanks and come at us with similar numbers.

Case in point, we had about an hour, (yes one whole hour) fight on the 2 bridges that connect Regent Rock and Mesa skydock south of Peris.

We had footsoldiers, shooting at each other moving forward then moving back, we had tanks comign in and trying to move forward only to be pushed back by HA's and Rockets, we had air battling it out overhead with Liberators being scared away by Launchers / ESFs AA MAXes / Skyguards....

There's enough in the game to counter everything if you have enough numbers and varied set ups to do this.

Moaning about being vehicle camped in a spawn polint is your own fault for continuing to spawn there, you have options, you can spawn elsewhere and come back with your own vehicles....

Anyway, just saying, yes the game needs fixing, but what I see is this :-

1. Render Distance is the single biggest hurdle the game has to finally becoming truly epic when it comes to battles. Also Infantry only rendering at 100-150 meters compared to vehicles rendering up until 600-800 meters means that infantry tend to shoot you with Lock on weapons far before you ever get to see them, which to me is totally retarded. Also their weapons dont leave a trail and the projectiles only render when the infantry render, so you are being hit by invisible missiles.

2. Build walls around all bases (Like AMP stations)

3. Build roofs over main bases (even have as shield)

4. Make spawn rooms underground with several tunneled exits that lead into the main buildings of bases.

5. Fix or don't fix the Hex system (I prefer Lattice but not everyone does so meh)

6. Stop pandering to whichever crybabies are screaming the loudest on the forums, and think logically about any changes being done, especially when nerfing or buffing 2 separate things, do one at a time and observe results, dont do 2 changes at once that truly fucks up balance.

-----------

See what happens
Old 2013-01-07, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Smaller groups should not go head-on in armor but play more tactical: capping smaller or secondary objectives devs said they will add to this game or defend bases that I expect will be more defensible against zergs in future updates.
Interpretation: My version right now is perfect for me so you small groups well just come back later....

Yeah they did, they all left for the most part. Why you have so many half empty servers.... and they probably wont be coming back.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Even the largest armored columns get destroyed. To me this is an opportunity to try a fifferent vehicle or go infantry. Maybe its just me but I like using all the vehicles and all the classes.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion