Naval Combat Confirmed? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside > all
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-12-22, 06:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Naval Combat Confirmed?

Deliverer - now with more naval combat!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-12-22, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tikuto
Major

Exclamation Name the water vehicles!

Prowler (land) and Scowler (water).

How awesome?????

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2011-12-22, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Shogun
Contributor
General

but naval units will have a hard time in the desert ;-)
and desert is all we have seen so far.

if we get minime submarines, there HAS TO BE a system of water tunnels that connect lakes underground. if there is only water around the continent and some small seperate lakes, it is not of very much use.
Old 2011-12-22, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
SteinB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
but naval units will have a hard time in the desert ;-)
and desert is all we have seen so far.

if we get minime submarines, there HAS TO BE a system of water tunnels that connect lakes underground. if there is only water around the continent and some small seperate lakes, it is not of very much use.
You are assuming there won't be any underwater bases, towers, bunkers etc.

We can only hope!
Old 2011-12-23, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Marth Koopa
Banned

I'm not seeing this. They removed it?
Old 2011-12-23, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
NCLynx
Major

Looks like they removed it lol

edit: although I do remember seeing it the day the site was re done
Old 2011-12-23, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
I want scuba gear so I can attach boomers to boats.
this.
Old 2011-12-23, 04:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

Wow... that is two ninja edits on the official site now since they started. It is in fact gone it was on this page:

http://www.planetside2.com/overview

It did read:

Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With air, ground and seaborne combat, the battles will be larger and more intense than ever.
And now reads..

Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With air and ground combat, the battles will be larger and more intense than ever.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-12-23, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SteinB
Sergeant

Since they have already announced that naval combat wouldn't be in at launch they probably removed the statement so they wouldn't get all the false advertising accusations that come anytime the letter of a statement isn't adhered to.
Old 2011-12-23, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SteinB View Post
During the last webcast Higby listed fast attack boats and midget submarines as possibilities.
Naval Combat excites me! This has been something we have been dreaming of since 2004 or so.

The edit is intriguing. Perhaps someone was a bit to creative when describing gameplay and spilled some of the expansion beans. On the other hand this could be intentional. An intentional quick "mistake" to build a little but of hype. I do not put this above SOE or Higby nor do I take offense to it. It's fun (Please don't fire our Boys SOE)

As for "Naval" Combat I foresee it being very "Green water" (as in conducted very near to shore or via river systems) and only having access to things like RIBS, Jet Ski's and maybe a PT boat type vehicle. Oh and Kite Surfing.

PT Boat chases and river ambushes sound awesome. That idea about hundreds of Cloakers sneaking ashore in the dead of night is equally awesome
Old 2011-12-23, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I still have the hope that Naval Combat will be fully or partly based on my Air Cruisers idea. Really should update it for PS2...

Old 2011-12-23, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
That one noob
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
Yeah, I think fagriders, thundies, raiders, and deliverers can be considered naval. Also, Higby's confirmed in the past that currently, people float in water, and that they're still working on the exact mechanics of swimming. What that tells me is that there's every possibility of a cloaker army invading at nighttim by sea.
AQUATIC NINJA ARMY INVASION?
Well now it seems that I now have an idea for an outfit.
Old 2011-12-23, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I still have the hope that Naval Combat will be fully or partly based on my Air Cruisers idea. Really should update it for PS2...
Hopefully we will get both. Air Cruiser versus Sea Cruiser battles! Fuck yeah!

If they do a naval combat update, they should definitely do more than just add boats to the few waterways on ordinary continents. Even if they are designing the current continents with an eye towards future naval combat, I'd still like to see some new environments that cater heavily to naval combat.

An open sea area, perhaps surrounding some mostly sunken alien artifact. You could have floating bases and outposts, as well as reefs and rocky patches to break up the area and create capture points and choke points.

An archipelago, featuring a mostly water environment that is dotted with tons of islands. If you include a ton of bridges between islands (tall enough to let all sea vessels pass under), you would be able to have extensive land vehicle combat in addition to naval combat in the same space.

A hybrid continent that features mostly solid, contiguous land on the outer region of the map, with a large lake on the inside full of capture points. Add in a few rivers in strategic locations so that the navel vessels can get close to the more land oriented battles and a few bridges that allow land vehicles to get to some small islands inside the lake and you would have a great combined arms environment for land and sea.

Obviously a few modifications could be made to existing continents to make naval combat possible, especially if the continents are already slightly designed to accommodate it, but I think that adding 2 or 3 new "continents" (battle areas, maps, what ever you wanna call them) that are heavily geared towards naval combat would be a great way to introduce it to the rest of the game.
Old 2011-12-23, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Don't be so quick to connect the dots (build bridges). We must make logistics vehicles mandatory where ever possible.

Old 2011-12-23, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
NCLynx
Major

At least they're editing them out quickly before a huge amount of people see it. I'd rather see things gone (that aren't needed at launch) that only PSU know about than see a ton of people POed and calling SoE liars saying they won't play the game, mobs in the street, riots outside their HQ. You know that kinda stuff.

Kind of reminds me of the WoW WotLK boxart, they advertised planes in that new PvP continent and a whole bunch of other stuff on that little inside panel that never showed up in the game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion