News: SOE - Prosiebensat FAQ - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are we there yet?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-30, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Region locking update: SOE-Prosiebensat deal FAQ

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuop...topic_id=47694

I've been through the Prosiebensat faq recently released and distilled it into shorter detail, hopefully removing the corporate spiel in the process. It's not as short as I'd have liked and there's still a bit of repeat info in there, but it's good enough. I've thrown a TL;DR to ultra distil things at the end and I've gone ahead and highlighted the info I think PS2 players are most interested in.

General info:

Prosieben is now official publisher of all SOE games in much of Europe, with other countries to potentially be added later.

There will be regional support for games, aimed at tailoring towards individual cultures, presumably because most European countries hold very different ideals.

Prosieben partnerships will be used, specifically they mention promotional power through media and TV. Marketing benefits.

Gameplay info:

Changes MAY occur within games, specifically these would be regional, though the spiel here doesn't go into specifics the concept suggest that they would "like" to make any changes to games tailored towards individual cultures and the wants of the players within those.

Game development still resides entirely with SOE.

Server info:

SOE will host and manage the servers in Europe, not prosiebensat.

Servers locations in Europe MAY change though nothing is finalised it is being looked into.

European players WILL be able to play on US servers. US players WILL be able to play on European servers. More details on this to follow.

European players WILL be able to access beta servers, regardless of location.

Mail/chat/server cross communication will be permitted. They will not be stopping players communicating with any other servers.

Players will be able to transfer between servers based on each game's individual rules of transfer.

Marketing and Distribution info:

There are no plans for in-game advertising.

As said above, Prosiebensat has been chosen specifically for it's media and marketing benefits.

The deal appears to not be a distribution agreement, it is a user accounts and commerce agrement, focused on community and product management. What does that mean exactly? That they're in charge of user accounts and marketing and promotion of games in Europe. Though they do suggest that boxed distribution MAY be a possibility, no specifics.

There may be special content specific to prosiebensat European games for promotional purposes such as attracting new customers.

Customer Service info:

In short, all customer service for European users technical and otherwise will be handled by Prosiebensat

Accounts and payment info:

Prices will remain similar though conversions and local economics may affect pricing.

Prosieben games will have their own version of SOE cash, with similar mechanics. All billing and accounts will go through Prosiebensat

Prosieben games will have their own equivalent all access pass.

There will be a new launcher for prosiebensat games.

TL;DR: Prosiebensat taking over all accounts, billing, marketing, customer service and technical support for European players, not taking control of servers. Restatement of there being something in place to avoid region locking, more details to follow.

As for exactly what their plan is to avoid region locking, I personally think it'll be as simple as having Europeans pay and have their accounts handled via prosiebensat (therefore they earn the money for them) but allowing their access to NA servers that were previously going to only support SOE accounts. Obviously the account mechanisms seem like they were going to be different, to avoid this I just presume they're going to link the prosiebensat and SOE account mechanisms in order to avoid it.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-30 at 06:04 PM.
Old 2012-03-30, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Re: SOE - Prosiebensat FAQ

Thank you very much for this, illuminating.
Old 2012-03-30, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NCLynx
Major

This should probably be stickied, seeing as for a lot of people it was a pretty big issue. Good post.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-03-30, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
This should probably be stickied, seeing as for a lot of people it was a pretty big issue. Good post.
My thoughts exactly. This issue is quite important.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-30, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

From expirience, i know that a sticky thread is less useful than one that floats around.

But i will redirect every other discussion on the matter to this thread now. It gives the update in a way people actually understand.
Old 2012-03-30, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raymac
Brigadier General

Good job breaking it down, Skit.

Old 2012-03-30, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks for posting, I'll be newsing this up shortly.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-30, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
LongBow
Sergeant

Was pleased to see this whole thing playing out well, I mean from a Developer & player standpoint it was a 'no-brainer'.

But this was a task for lawyers and business people ... Its fantastic to know we have a great and fully competent team, not just behind planetside 2, but behind the team behind the game!

"unique deals for Europe" caught my eye though, I hope that's just Pro Sab ensuring they have some room to breath and not an indication one side of the Atlantic is going to get more 'bang' for their station buck.

Last edited by LongBow; 2012-03-30 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2012-03-30, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

The original FAQ sure is market-speaky. Half the answers say nothing or ignore the question. And they wrote the questions

However im glad that most of the issues were resolved (esp servers) - the ones I thought could be resolved easily at least. Still, it would be way better to have a single forum with localized sub boards. No need to split the community up further.

Maybe outsource the forum management to PSU?

Old 2012-03-30, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

More details on this to follow.

Again? >_>

Give us the damn details already!
Old 2012-03-30, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
More details on this to follow.

Again? >_>

Give us the damn details already!
Agreed, but the pressing issues are pretty much set in stone for now, so I'm not gonna bitch for another 3-4 weeks.

Also the fact that even tho they had to spend a lot of time revising the system they had to get rid of Region Locking, this whole thing taking so incredibly long just shows that SOE was leaned on by Sony Corp to sign the partnership ASAP before the quarterly investor reports went out and screw the long term consequences.

I can understand that Sony had dug a deep ass hole to bury itself in this time, but that they had to force a subsidiary to sell a very large part of their customer base worries me.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-30 at 11:25 PM.
Old 2012-03-31, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fenrys
Major

I wonder how much the new Sony CEO, the guy who used to be the president of the Playstation department, was involved and if that experience with gaming and gamers helped our case any . . .
Old 2012-03-31, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Interesting, thanks for giving us the headsup. Dawg!
Old 2012-03-31, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Canaris
Contributor
General

There's only one thing to do at a time like this

Glad it's all worked out in the end, great to hear SOE & Pro7 have put the customers first.
At least on behalf of me, Thank You!

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-03-31, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Excellent news all around and glad to see they responded to the SOE games commmunities over an important issue.

One thing that isn't 100% clear is if puchases made via 'Prosiben Cash' can be used on US servers and visa versa?

That's assuming of course purchases are available to all characters you create (or will it they only be available to a single character/server that you puchased them with initially)?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion