Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: (¬_¬)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-11, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
ratfusion
Corporal

Re: Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support?

The 'advantage' issue is moot in practice. Competitive/tournament players do not use multi-monitor when they have the option, the FPS hit is too large for upper echelon gaming.The perceived issue of 'advantage' can be addressed too, let everyone use FOVs up to at least 130, regardless of resolution or screen format. Like I said earlier, BF3 (as does BFBC2 and PS1) supports multimon perfectly, and there was no whining about multimon gamers in those games.

The primary reason we multi-mon players stick with it is immersion. The immersion cannot be overstated, most multi-mon players, including myself, can't go back to single screen, and don't play games that don't support it.

Just please don't be quick to whine without trying it, and ruin for us the game we've been waiting half a decade for.

If we happen to have any of the devs reading this... guys, please go buy a few more monitors on the companies dime and try it out! At least steal your cubicle neighbors monitors while he's off at lunch. Do a triple projector setup at the next demo/showoff and you'll have gawkers for miles. Someone else found this and it's excellent: http://developer.download.nvidia.com...ticesGuide.pdf

Last edited by ratfusion; 2012-06-11 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I don't see why you would compare BF3 and PS1 to PS2 for this specific issue.

BF3 is a casual game and PS1 is just old. I suppose PS2 could be considered casual as well, since it has a cash shop. I just never considered it to be a casual game so I had trouble understanding what you were saying.

If we look at PS2 as a casual game and not a competitive game, I agree there is no reason to fret over it.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
If we happen to have any of the devs reading this... guys, please go buy a few more monitors on the companies dime and try it out! At least steal your cubicle neighbors monitors while he's off at lunch. Do a triple projector setup at the next demo/showoff and you'll have gawkers for miles. Someone else found this and it's excellent: http://developer.download.nvidia.com...ticesGuide.pdf
hell just have them toss a couple sony tvs together, im sure they have a few of the same model laying around the office. I have a local friend who is using 3x Sony Bravia BX42 46" tvs in eyefinity and even on those rather low end tvs with thick bezelzs the effect is amazing.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Tricky
Contributor
Corporal

I asked about this during Higbys AMA on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...dustry/c43w9ud

I'm not 100% sure about surround monitor setups, most of those solutions are resolution virtualization, so we don't expect it will be a problem, but we haven't really tested it in house yet - i know that's on the list of compatibility testing, though.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
ratfusion
Corporal

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
I don't see why you would compare BF3 and PS1 to PS2 for this specific issue.

BF3 is a casual game and PS1 is just old. I suppose PS2 could be considered casual as well, since it has a cash shop. I just never considered it to be a casual game so I had trouble understanding what you were saying.

If we look at PS2 as a casual game and not a competitive game, I agree there is no reason to fret over it.
The devs reference BF3 more often than any other game when comparing PS2 to something. Planetside 1 is certainly a valid reference as well. I fail to see how the BF3 crowd is more casual than a MMOFPS. I just doubt we'll see CPL competitions in PS2

Really though, its far less of an advantage than people that haven't tried it think. Its just more fun.

Last edited by ratfusion; 2012-06-11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
Really though, its far less of an advantage than people that haven't tried it think. Its just more fun.
How many soldiers do you know that fight with horse blinders on?

Why do you think they would shoot you if you suggested they do so?
Old 2012-06-12, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by PeteHMB View Post
Personally, I fully agree with you. If I could play Planetside 2 on a full size 15 foot parabolic simulator screen with a 270 degree field of view, I would. But I settle for a single monitor setup with an awesome surround sound system because as you said, the audio is a huge advantage. Multiple monitors just isn't as practical to me. However, I have no issue whatsoever with someone who feels like spending their money on that particular setup playing with a wider field of view. Being able to see a little more may mean they're less likely to be blindsided, but either way you have the advantage of surprise if you're attacking them with anything other than a knife. Faster internet connection, faster GPU/CPU, more RAM, less alcohol...there's a wide variety of factors and advantage/disadvantages that factor into who kills whom. Drink up and play on!
3 monitor setup are fairly cheap now. 2 of my 3 monitors on my main system are 24" and only cost $150 each. It would be a bit more costly for me run a 5 monitor setup because I'd need about $500 more worth of equipment...maybe more if my 1,000w power supply wasn't enough for 3 graphics cards.

Honest 3 monitor set ups for gaming aren't going to be far off the norm...the biggest problem is probably desk space :P

This are my 2 gaming systems right now.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
noodz
Private

As a person with an eyefinity setup I would love to see it supported in the game, it shouldn't be that hard to implement... its basically just super widescreen resolution.

Dev's if you are reading this: for Eyefinity to work good in this game all you need to allow is the resolution support, and also allow us to change the UI layout (basically drag and drop anything UI related to where we want it)

I see it a lot with poor supported eyefinity games, the hud ends up stretching over the entire 3 screens and you cannot move it around.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
malice189
Private

Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
at the end of the day it makes for a more immersive gameplay experience which is what I am after. Why punish those with money now (and not this fall) who are willing to spend it on tech that is not only supported by the 2 major gpu manufacturers today but touted by both as a selling point?
Being able to see behind you = immersive?
There's no extra eye holes in the backs of their helmets
Old 2012-06-12, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by malice189 View Post
Being able to see behind you = immersive?
There's no extra eye holes in the backs of their helmets
you cannot see behind you with eyefinty. Clear you either dont know what youre talking about or are over exagerating because you realize you have to do so to make a stronger argument than what you can with the actual facts.

Eyefinity and Surround vision if anything mimic a more natural fov for what people see in real life. If people are all for not having more realism in their games thats great, but what lulz they generate for the rest of us when they complain about those of use who strive for a more realistic feeling gaming experience.

I would like to see a devs official statement saying they will or will not support the setups, but based on the ama link Tricky provided I feel a bit better about its possible inclusion.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
I would like to see a devs official statement saying they will or will not support the setups, but based on the ama link Tricky provided I feel a bit better about its possible inclusion.
Read your Original Post again. Higby has said that they'll allow adjustable FOV up to 90 degrees, according to your original post.

He's also said that Eyefinity and Surround setups are on their QA testing list.

Take those two statements together, and you've got the official dev word on this subject.

But that's not what you really are saying in this quote, is it?

What you really want is for an official dev statement declaring they'll support 140 degree FOVs or whatever your preferred number happens to be. At least be honest and say so, instead of pretending that supporting multi-monitor setups MUST mean that you also support super-wide FOVs. They're not intrinsically linked, because portrait-mode multi-monitor setups are perfectly valid options, as well.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-06-12 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Read your Original Post again. Higby has said that they'll allow adjustable FOV up to 90 degrees, according to your original post.

He's also said that Eyefinity and Surround setups are on their QA testing list.

Take those two statements together, and you've got the official dev word on this subject.

But that's not what you really are saying in this quote, is it?

What you really want is for an official dev statement declaring they'll support 140 degree FOVs or whatever your preferred number happens to be. At least be honest and say so, instead of pretending that supporting multi-monitor setups MUST mean that you also support super-wide FOVs. They're not intrinsically linked, because portrait-mode multi-monitor setups are perfectly valid options, as well.
newsflash! portrait mode isnt the answer. I have used it before, it puts the monitors bezels right where you are looking. If you want to string 3 to 6 monitors together in portrait mode I dont mind you doing it, but I will not be doing so.

Im not trying to hide anything... I have said from the start that a wider fov which I am looking for (as a 90 fov with that resolution is just stretched across the screen) is an advantage over other players who do not have it. Just as having a 7.1 headset is a an advantage over people who only want to spring for a 20$ stereo headset. Just as having a 2560x1600 monitor is a huge advantage over someone rocking a 1280x1024 monitor. Ive not once tried to say that having the wide fov is not an advantage I just said the people who are most opposed to it are the ones who cant afford it such as yourself (by your own admission youve said you are hoping to get some in the fall when you can afford to do so).

you asked the question in a previous post "How many soldiers do you know that fight with horse blinders on?" the answer to that question is Everyone who chooses not to run a multi monitor setup. If you have a eyefinity/surround vision setup and play a game with it for a couple minutes then turn off the outer 2 screens you see the blinder effect. Ive used that as a way to sell builds for people with multiple monitors included and it works almost everytime. the times it doesnt work is when the person cannot afford to upgrade or would rather spend their money elsewhere. I can buy a headset with mic for 20$ if I want to get a decent set with surround sound Im looking at paying 4 times that amount roughly. its almost same for the monitors and eyefinity yet you act as if though it allows people to see through walls or auto aim on peoples heads. an advantage? of course. an unfair advantage? no more so than positional audio is.

also higbys comment about the 90 fov came before the gdc (if I remember correctly) and the reddit ama happend some time afterwards (thanks again for the link Tricky). PS2 is still in the development stage you realize? things are being flushed out and worked on now. the fact that he said its on the list of things to test for compatibility gives me hope it will be included, at the proper fov. if that makes you sad or you think Im looking for an "unfair advantage" im ok with that. Just as long as youre ok with me knowing youre real problem with it is that you just dont have this kind of setup.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion