What we know about Beta. - Page 26 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Chomp on this!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-05, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #376
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Re: What we know about Beta.

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
Well GW2 also doesn't have official forums. Only for beta weekends.
Every other SOE title I have BETA tested (including PS1) had official forums with private BETA sections ...
Old 2012-05-05, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #377
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Private beta forums are usually hidden. Sometimes at completely different sites.
Old 2012-05-05, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #378
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by JPalmer View Post
Private beta forums are usually hidden. Sometimes at completely different sites.
Obviously private forums are hidden. Hence the word "private". The idea that they will be on a "different site" is silly because BETA registration and accounts are based on station accounts. Why would they clone those accounts to a different server/site that just has forums on it? They wouldn't.
Old 2012-05-05, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #379
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Lokster View Post
Obviously private forums are hidden. Hence the word "private". The idea that they will be on a "different site" is silly because BETA registration and accounts are based on station accounts. Why would they clone those accounts to a different server/site that just has forums on it? They wouldn't.
No need to clone accounts, just to authenticate you can have your forum anywhere and still hit SOE for authentication.
Old 2012-05-06, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #380
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
No need to clone accounts, just to authenticate you can have your forum anywhere and still hit SOE for authentication.
Yeah, I understand there is ways to do it. It would just be silly...

Personally, I don't expect BETA will start until after we have official forums. Of course, I could be wrong. I am quite often ..
Old 2012-05-07, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #381
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Actually Lokster, that is not silly, it is how it is done.

The DB server will never be on the same box as the web server in a large organization.
Old 2012-05-08, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #382
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
Actually Lokster, that is not silly, it is how it is done.

The DB server will never be on the same box as the web server in a large organization.
Which was not the discussion AT ALL. The point of the forums debate was simply to discuss the fact that every single closed BETA I have ever participated in (has been more than 15) had official forums sharing authentication information with private BETA sections.

I actually just got another closed BETA invite for another large title (one that was announced well after PS2 btw), which -- surprise, surprise; has official forums -- with a private BETA area.

Wow, people's blind belief that PS2 BETA is a week or two away causing a block to all logical thought processes, amazes me ...

Again, I realize this website could share authentication information with a Korean website and have the databases for both stored in Australia. But it is completely irrelevant, and does not matter -- and again, would be silly.

Last edited by Lokster; 2012-05-08 at 07:46 PM.
Old 2012-05-08, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #383
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

No one here is arguing with you or disagreeing with you from what I seen. At least not to the agree you empathized towards the end of your latest post.

PS2 Twitter account has tweeted about the official forums being created soon, that was about a week ago or so. They are going to need them pre-E3 if E3 is going to be as big for them as they say. They aren't going to have thousands flock here even though that would be nice.

There are alternatives to official forums. I knew some games that purely used email/in-game reports as a way to handle it. If that doesn't give you enough consideration the official forums will be here pre-E3 based solely on common sense. And that is what makes us think the beta will be out in a few weeks. That and the pure fact of showing a max of 100-150 people playing the game to the masses will not get the job done. Plus you don't want a big showing at E3 and not give a beta date. You want to throw a rope to new players, not just bait them and run away.

Last edited by JPalmer; 2012-05-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2012-05-08, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #384
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by JPalmer View Post
No one here is arguing with you or disagreeing with you from what I seen. At least not to the agree you empathized towards the end of your latest post.

PS2 Twitter account has tweeted about the official forums being created soon, that was about a week ago or so. They are going to need them pre-E3 if E3 is going to be as big for them as they say. They aren't going to have thousands flock here even though that would be nice.

There are alternatives to official forums. I knew some games that purely used email/in-game reports as a way to handle it. If that doesn't give you enough consideration the official forums will be here pre-E3 based solely on common sense. And that is what makes us think the beta will be out in a few weeks. That and the pure fact of showing a max of 100-150 people playing the game to the masses will not get the job done. Plus you don't want a big showing at E3 and not give a beta date. You want to throw a rope to new players, not just bait them and run away.
Good to hear they (official forums) will be created soon. Thanks for the info.

I too, like everyone else, hope for BETA sooner than later; but realize there are steps and things they pretty much, must accomplish beforehand.

I also agree, E3 demonstrations and videos will be MUCH more enticing if they all filmed/shown amongst a few thousand BETA testers, as opposed to a few hundred internal testers...

BETA better have started before or be announced at E3 -- Or I fear PS2 will lose some of it;s following. None of us want that to happen, I'm sure.
Old 2012-05-09, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #385
Hamma
PSU Admin

So if PS2 doesn't go beta by E3 it will lose some of it's following? 404 Logic not Found. Good riddance I say if that does happen.

Regardless as mentioned there will in fact be official forums there is no question at all about that. That's been confirmed on multiple levels. Whether or not there will be public official forums soon remains to be seen but SOE will definitely get their beta forums going prior to beta.

PSU will not have any sort of private beta forum btw - Will be leaving that up to SOE.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-05-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 2012-05-09, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #386
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

If they have a huge showing at E3 and get many people interested in the game without giving a date for beta or game people will forget about it and lose interest because they won't know if they have to wait to next month or next year. Sure they will be reminded by news articles and advertisements whenever they do show a date, but people will still lose interest. That's all I am saying.

Last edited by JPalmer; 2012-05-09 at 12:13 PM.
Old 2012-05-09, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #387
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
So if PS2 doesn't go beta by E3 it will lose some of it's following? 404 Logic not Found. Good riddance I say if that does happen.
No beta by E3? Not such a big deal. But I do agree that if they don't announce a beta date before or during E3, it will definitely hurt their cause. But I half way agree with you, fuck em if they can't hang on a little longer. It's F2P, so those with short attention spans will have plenty of time to get on board at a later date.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
PSU will not have any sort of private beta forum btw - Will be leaving that up to SOE.
That's how secret they are. Even Hamma doesn't know they exist on his own site.

Shit, they'll have to kill me.
Old 2012-05-09, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #388
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-09, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #389
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Like many others i say beta now now now. But i think beta before E3 wont happen. And i would bet they will finally give an announcement with real substance concerning beta there. And im fine with that because i get the feeling they want to do it right. PS1 beta was incredibly well run with lots of help and interaction directly from the devs and it looks like they will try to do the same for PS2.

But hey its all speculation until they decide to stop torturing us.
Old 2012-05-10, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #390
RanCorXII
Private

why do they allow for beta sign ups so early? I registered 4th march, it's now almost mid may, why is there still no news?

Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion