PlanetSide 2 and Australians 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who needs a life anyway?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-05, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Brusi
Contributor
Major

PlanetSide 2 and Australians 2

So considering the shear amount of retarded "Aawztrayleanz dew everything upsaad down" comments in the last thread, which obviously died a horribly derailed death, only to be buried in the pet cemetery... Goku slamed that shit shut. Fair enough.

New thread. You know what that means?!

If you are not Australian, or have a valid, constructive opinion on the concerns of the Asia Pacific gaming region... don't post here, bitches!

Personally I am very interested in thoughts an opinions (and perhaps dev insight) regarding all and everything +150 latency!

Although I personally don’t expect anything grander than 250ping NAWEST, I am happy to hear the thoughts, opinions, expectations and lamentations of PAC players in regards to the new title. I'm personally expecting the worst, but preparing for the best! If only due to the latent vanu inside of me, I believe that we have the technology, to make gaming competativly in PS2, a much more palatable concept that it has been to date.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-05, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: PlanetSide 2 and Australians 2

Netcode is said to be like bf3, so its client/serverside hybrid, so hitting something should not be a problem, obviously planetside works okay 200 ping, but with reduced TTK, there is a concern of been unable to react fast enough. Also our hit packets getting to the sever later than Americans is a pain, in zergs you will find you don't often get damage done/killing blow.

As always though, we wont be on a even playing field, but i don't think it will be too bad.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-05, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

They got The9 for China, Pro7 for Europe. Do you have Sky8 or something to publish it locally? Otherwise, just go for the lowest ping. You can't help your ping, but I'm doubtful an Aussie only server would be viable. :/
Old 2012-05-05, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
In every other recent game I have seen there is an Oceanic server. Surely SOE wouldn't cheap out and not do the same?
Care to name those games with Oceanic servers? :P

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-05, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kran De Loy
Captain

It's a huge portion of the problem you guys have is from your government trying to be a bunch of fascists in regards to the internet and games in general?

Shoot your leaders and replace them with people willing to help fund an intercontinental cable to Japan that connects to that one that's getting built already between Japland and England.

Personally I sent a letter to my congressman when I was in highschool to try and get them to increase the technology on satellites so the entire world could go wireless. So far it's been working if you look at how extensive the cellphone industry is getting.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-05-05 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-05-05, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FIREk
Captain

If SOE doesn't have any existing server infrastructure thereabouts, I doubt they will create it for PlanetSide 2, at least not for launch.

Don't get me wrong - I want everyone to experience what I believe to be the upcoming best game evar.

If PS2 proves to be wildly popular, they may (and should) invest in servers in Australia. While you can play classic slow MMOs with friends on the other side of an ocean, which may explain the lack of said servers nowadays, this won't be possible with PS2. Fingers crossed, I guess...
Old 2012-05-05, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Instead of just having Pacific servers that AUS/NZ player can join, how 'bout we also have a server in AUS/NZ that US players can join? I can see how ther may be different challenges with regional deals and legal mumbo jumbo, but I think it would be a great way to support players in that region.
Old 2012-05-05, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

With it being free to play would it not be possible to have your own server down in oz of the demand fits?

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-05, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NCLynx
Major

I remember there being quite a few Australians on Emerald (the East coast server) back in the original. I won't pretend to know what the ping was like for you guys but I hope it's at least decent this time around.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-05, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
With it being free to play would it not be possible to have your own server down in oz of the demand fits?
Possibly too massive to host on your own. That, and SOE probably wouldn't share the server software.

It's not that kind of free to play, methinks.
Old 2012-05-05, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Planetside was playable with higher ping, although i felt there were some things were more difficult (such as hitting a moving target with the lasher. Although thinking about it now, I'm not sure if that was just because of the added lag from 20 lashers spamming or just due to video performance on my 2003 hardware...) The good thing about the original Planetside however was that even though it could be a very unsatisfying shooter experience, there were other roles that you could still play, where the disadvantage of high latency and packetloss were somewhat mitigated.

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Netcode is said to be like bf3, so its client/serverside hybrid
I know that there may not be that much reason for comparison, as hopefully the SOE version will be custom designed for PS2 purposes, but what is BF3 like on a server with > 100 ping?

I expect that the experience of playing with higher ping should be something that they will take notice of during beta, in case there are tweaks that could still be made.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-05, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Thought SWTOR and Rift had them? Been spending most time on those lately. But I read now those are sort of pseudo-Oceanic. Still here in the states but defined for use by Oceanic guys? Surely there is enough playerbase in Australia to justify dedicated servers there. Call up my old friends at Netstar, but I am certain they have been bought out by now, I'm sure they could host a server.
SWTOR has them yes, in fact most EA MMO's including Ultima and WAR have had them, the only other MMO to have them is POTBS, where the servers in Australia had very little to do with SOE I believe, despite them been the US publisher.

Im not aware of any others, most company's simply flag them oceanic.

As for tribes Ascend...its a lobby based arena shooter, local servers are expected.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-05, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Katanauk
Corporal

Misc Info

I played Planetside on Emerald with little to no issues from Australia so I'm hoping for more of the same from Planetside 2.

I'm also hoping, in an odd way, they aren't doing Oceanic servers, that would almost (slight fantasy land here) assure me I can play on servers in other regions with little problem.

For me, Oceanic servers are too dead, or the community is split by this gargantuan language barrier.

Glad this got remade by the way, I lurked the other thread a lot, then when it died I tried a revival, (which I got slammed for haha, fair enough though it was a bit dead and buried). Really isn't much info out there for us playing in the arse end of the world, or at least as much as I'd like... so thanks for that
Old 2012-05-05, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Possibly too massive to host on your own. That, and SOE probably wouldn't share the server software.

It's not that kind of free to play, methinks.
I was more thinking that should there be a few thousand aussies playing SOE could do a prosat type deal and get the game localised.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

As an Australian, with mostly US friends, I'm not going to be playing on any Oceanic servers. There's very little point to me playing the game without my friends.

I had no trouble with ping in PS1, and enjoyed the game immensely, even with 250+ ping. The game was smooth and worked well.

Hopefully they don't screw it up, and the net code is better than BF3's.

Last edited by Shade Millith; 2012-05-05 at 10:32 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion