News: Server Merges Incoming - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I will not lie to you, in this job, you will be shot at
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-20, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Re: Server Merges Incoming

Well Smedly just gained a lot of respect from me. Really good move, glad they are finally doing it. Can't wait to get some big battles, may even buy some station cash now :P
Old 2013-02-20, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

This is good news for the game and the existing playerbase, and as was stated earlier, consolidates things and hopefully will allow for a more committed playerbase, as opposed to the curious types who played it for 2hours at launch because it was f2p.

I'm concerned how it will be perceived beyond us however. Generally when I hear about server merges in an MMO that I'm not involved it, it gives me the impression the game is in trouble and to avoid it.

Hopefully, SOE have a strategy to counter this impression.
Old 2013-02-20, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
james
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gimpylung View Post
This is good news for the game and the existing playerbase, and as was stated earlier, consolidates things and hopefully will allow for a more committed playerbase, as opposed to the curious types who played it for 2hours at launch because it was f2p.

I'm concerned how it will be perceived beyond us however. Generally when I hear about server merges in an MMO that I'm not involved it, it gives me the impression the game is in trouble and to avoid it.

Hopefully, SOE have a strategy to counter this impression.
The game is in slight troble looking at player numbers, the steam numbers are bombing. This is a right step to stop the bleeding though
Old 2013-02-20, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
IceColdBlood
Private

Us Briggs players are going to be very left out...
Old 2013-02-20, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

I'm really happy about this. I hope that this will stop them bleeding away players on the low-pop servers and give everyone the chance to have a good fight.

Nice one devs, once again!
Old 2013-02-20, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by IceColdBlood View Post
Us Briggs players are going to be very left out...
Ah, you're right. There's no one to merge into for you guys. That kinda sucks..
Old 2013-02-20, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Awesome news. It should make the fights a lot more interesting. Also, I can't wait to hopefully finally get off Indar.

Old 2013-02-20, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Riekopo
Sergeant

2 servers per region?
Old 2013-02-20, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Silent Thunder
Staff Sergeant

Glad to see they're doing this. Problem with this type of game is unlike PVE MMOs, low server pops basically kill the funfactor. Cant really go with 5 of your buddies on a dead continent and have fun the way you can in an empty area in WoW (Or godforbid DC Universe Online XD ) for instance.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Bad news.

Current game is Indar-side.

Pops from merged servers will still want to play Indar-side, now Indar-side becomes Queue-side for those that want to play Indar-side, not Amerish/Esamir-side.

They can't play Indar-side, they stop playing, even if the pops are up, they can't play where they want.

You can say what you like about how you play the game but the majority of people are playing Indar-side and don't care.

I reckon there will be a larger than usual weekly drop in total pops a week after the merges.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Wargrim
Sergeant

Finally! I just hope they will not just merge the lowest pop servers, but we will also get some fresh blood on Waterson.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bobby Shaftoe View Post
Bad news.

Current game is Indar-side.

Pops from merged servers will still want to play Indar-side, now Indar-side becomes Queue-side for those that want to play Indar-side, not Amerish/Esamir-side.

They can't play Indar-side, they stop playing, even if the pops are up, they can't play where they want.

You can say what you like about how you play the game but the majority of people are playing Indar-side and don't care.

I reckon there will be a larger than usual weekly drop in total pops a week after the merges.
A Que on indar ensures play on the other contents. Indar is the worst map by far IMO. It should never have left beta.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
A Que on indar ensures play on the other contents. Indar is the worst map by far IMO. It should never have left beta.
It only ensures play on Esamir/Amerish if people want to play there, as shown by in game pop dist. they want Indarside.

I've not played on any other continent than Indar since the start of the year in the dozen or so times I've bothered logging in, there's no reason to, similarily, there's no reason to play Indarside BUT that's what your average player wants to play.

It's like in PS1 when asking people to recall to help defend/resecure a continent, the universal reply was: "Why? I'm having fun here." Everyone knows you can only ever have fun at one fight, right? (sarcasm)

Their logic is going to be: Hey, big fight on Indar, everyone must be having lots of fun there, I know I always do... hmm Esamir/Amerish have some fights but I don't like them, I'll sit in the queue and wait for the fight I know I will have fun at.

So some will sit in the queue, some will go fight on Esamir/Amerish and some will log off.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

People play on indar because that's where the fights are. Your conclusion that people will log off if they can't play on indar is a fantasy. Antecedal: My entire outfit is tired of playing on indar and prefer amerish more. We play indar because that's where the fights are, no other reason.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-02-20 at 10:43 AM.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bobby Shaftoe View Post
It only ensures play on Esamir/Amerish if people want to play there, as shown by in game pop dist. they want Indarside.
No, people want a fight and only fight can be found on Indar. People are getting sick of Indar and because they can't find a fight anywhere else than on Indar, they leave.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion