Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: :USP
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-15, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
RNFB
First Sergeant

Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

I know the majority of people didn't like BFRs, I wasn't around when they were first introduced so I don't really know why cause mechs are cool.

But this is PlanetSide 2 and I think BFRs should be given a second chance because mechs are awesome and they would look BOSS in ForgeLight.

Perhaps if they were exclusive to Outfits that are able to procure large amounts of resources? They would be quite powerful, but much fewer in number because of their difficulty to obtain. They could be really expensive to the point that even the best outfits would barely be able to afford more than one or two per day.

I think if done right, they would be a lot of fun.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

First before flames.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
roguy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
First before flames.
Who would even want to flame him? He's absolutely right that mechs are awesome, the PS1 community thought so too back when they were announced.

I'd love them in the game too if they found a way to NOT make them silly overpowered with a role that overlapped everything in the game.
Old 2012-03-15, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by roguy View Post
Who would even want to flame him? He's absolutely right that mechs are awesome, the PS1 community thought so too back when they were announced.

I'd love them in the game too if they found a way to NOT make them silly overpowered with a role that overlapped everything in the game.
no, the PS1 community did not think BFRs were "awesome" when they were announced.

SOE has already screwed up tanks,adding BFRs would just guarantee that we would see a flood of driver gunned bfrs instead of tanks.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
roguy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
no, the PS1 community did not think BFRs were "awesome" when they were announced.
Err yeah, they did. Don't distort history.

Use the search function to dig up threads from before their release sometime in September 04':

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...t=BFR+announce

*EDIT* It's a shame Sony completely deleted the official PS forums at the time, but it's funny how all the smartass told-you-so hermits who went on and on about how they supposedly warned people that it would all go wrong only appeared AFTER the fact.

I thought they were going to rock back then, I was wrong, I've man-ed up to it.
Mechwarrior, Starsiege, Heavy gear were awesome games...

Last edited by roguy; 2012-03-15 at 07:38 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SgtMAD
Captain

Err yeah, they did. Don't distort history.

Use the search function to dig up threads from before their release sometime in September 04':

*EDIT* It's a shame Sony completely deleted the official PS forums at the time, but it's funny how all the smartass told-you-so hermits who went on and on about how they supposedly warned people that it would all go wrong only appeared AFTER the fact.

I thought they were going to rock back then, I was wrong, I've man-ed up to it.
Mechwarrior, Starsiege, Heavy gear were awesome games...
you are looking at a forum that is dedicated to fanbois, try and look up the shit that was going down on the SOE PS forums or some of the hundreds of other forums that were active at the time.

I have been active with this crap since open beta and have a pretty goddamn good idea of what happened and when it all transpired.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kipper
Captain

Cool as they look, it would be silly to overpower them to the point of making them the only thing people want. Epic fights should include infantry, land and air all trying to fight each other.

One way to implement them would be to make an empire specific one that functions alongside the MBT; perhaps make one of the two faster, but weaker. Give one thing, take away another - essentially its a tank, but it just looks different - legs instead of tracks.

I'd could see a legged vehicle being well armoured and well armed, but intolerably slow, only spawnable from certain locations (or maybe 2 hexes inside friendly territory) and unable to ride in any other vehicle - so they take ages to bring to battle (primarily a defensive unit) and they are a sitting duck, but they can deal damage if you can get one up.

Or an alternative - make it jut like an MBT but deployable. Its the same speed and armament, roughly - but has a function to anchor itself and become a turret - whereby its immobile but has more firepower.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Yes, everybody loved them so much they had a mass exodus to other games. That being said, I don't mind the idea of mechs when they are not uber bunny hopping overpowered wtfbbq solo pwn-bots-of-death. They add more to the sci-fi feeling, but it is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way too early to think about them for PS2. I can't see BFR's coming back until after the F2P model revenue has peaked and SOE is on a last ditch effort to pull in some late game money. I bet even then, there will be X% of the old PS1 population that will leave PS2 because they exist in the game.
Old 2012-03-17, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Purple
Sergeant Major

i just dont like things where i have to go reload to kill them.
Old 2012-03-15, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Raka Maru
Major

There were *hints* that this could happen down the line. If done right, they could be walking tanks or artillery.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-15, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This game already has BFRs. They were resized down to a tank chassis and lost their shields and flight variants.

Driver gunning, customizable secondary gunner, and weak spot in the rear remains.
Old 2012-03-15, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
This game already has BFRs. They were resized down to a tank chassis and lost their shields and flight variants.

Driver gunning, customizable secondary gunner, and weak spot in the rear remains.
This is true.......
Old 2012-03-15, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kran De Loy
Captain

No.

If a mech costs the same as 20 tanks and the mech is not as useful as 20 tanks it's wasteful, if it is as useful or more than 20 tanks it's over powered.

There simply can not be any balance to it.

Edit: POTD before my post http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...td.php?id=1330

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-15 at 02:15 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
No.

If a mech costs the same as 20 tanks and the mech is not as useful as 20 tanks it's wasteful, if it is as useful or more than 20 tanks it's over powered.

There simply can not be any balance to it.

Edit: POTD before my post http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...td.php?id=1330
If a mech is good as a tank and cost as a tank but have different options and way to moove and equipement it can be a really nice ad on if a mech have weak spot like tank must have as well i dont see any problem ..

it look cool its fun to play and it make the game more enjoyable there is plently of way to not make it useless or overpower ...
Old 2012-03-15, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Atheosim
Captain

There's simply no place for mech units that are more powerful than MBTs. Find some other niche for them and it may work out fine. But there is absolutely no place for uber units in PS2 or PS1, bar none, however expensive and difficult to obtain.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion