Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo) - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It makes one hell of a fondu!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-11, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo)

Everyone likes the Gauss Rifle over the cycler.
Old 2012-03-11, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
While we're on the subject...

Has anyone here actually loaded a magazine?

If I have 120 bullets loaded into 4 magazines, that's 30 rounds in each. If I get the weapon ready to shoot I will have to cock the weapon once.

I then fire off 8 rounds and reload, I now have a mag with 21 rounds in it - think about it - which I've probably thrown on the floor, not in my pouch. Then I fire off 15 rounds. Now I have a mag with 21 rounds and a mag with 15 rounds and 2 mags with 30 rounds (one in the weapon). At no point after pulling the trigger would I need to re-cock the weapon.

see where I'm going?

Has anybody ever actually stocked a tank with 24 shells? Let me just tell you they don't come in boxes of 20 that one man can carry.

As someone who worked in military logistics for a while, let me just say that I like the idea if insta-fill ammo dispensers.
No one is asking for that level of gratuitous realism.

I'd just prefer a system that requires a little more thought put into it than just dropping an insta-refill ammo bag of which I have an infinite number. (BF3)

As long as matey-boy doling ammo out to his team-mates has to stop at some point and think about how he is going to go about resupplying his own stock of ammo bags then It's all gravy.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
And Tribes was a big influence on PS1, yet there was no skiing.
Now that's a moot point

There's a bit of a difference between implementing an exclusive feature like skiing in a game that it wouldn't suit, and copying a feature that all your contemporaries have implemented in their games already, that your game HAS to have.

Last edited by JHendy; 2012-03-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 2012-03-11, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

I think brink's mechanism was perfect. Ammo and medics both.

Soldiers could throw a mag to whoever needed one, up to their maximum capacity. I think it was a 30 second cooldown and you had to buy the cert for it.

Medics could overheal buddies by about 10%, three times. Again, it was a cooldown that you had to cert for

If they bring in Brink's mechanic, I think it will work quite well. Maybe Gen holds will be a bit too easy given the recovery time in between assaults but that's just a different dynamic to what we're used to from PS1. When we go to resecure a gen in PS2, bring a platoon instead of a squad. No biggie, it is a different game after all.

Make engineer have a baggie of nanites to build ammo. As a cost, engies don't have knife/grenades/sidearm. Make it a certed ability.

Last edited by StumpyTheOzzie; 2012-03-11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 2012-03-11, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

I agree with the Engineer thing. Use your Nanite tool to make ammo packs. When you run out of nanite juice you are out of ammo refills... and repair ability.

Sounds perfect to me.

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
Old 2012-03-11, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
I agree with the Engineer thing. Use your Nanite tool to make ammo packs. When you run out of nanite juice you are out of ammo refills... and repair ability.

Sounds perfect to me.
That actually sounds really cool, stock up your inventory with Nanite Tubes and you can form them into any type of ammunition (different usages of nanites for different types of course) to share with someone else/use for your self.

Needs its own device as well of course, maybe some kind of tiny mortar-sized station that you can carry on your back and have to set down to use? You could stock it up with Nanite Tubes that anyone who walks up to could use, and people with their own Nanite Tubes could use their own instead of the pool's.

Then you have neat tactics introduced like a platoon bringing along a couple of Ammuntion Fabricators and instead of trying to predict what they'll need they'll just carry the weapons and Nanite Tubes to manufacture ammo/grenades along the way. Of course you have to worry about them being destroyed, introducing a low-level objective for everyone!

Larger Ammo Fabs/Large Nanite Tubes could be installed in Lodestars as the way vehicles could re-arm at them, and of course bases would have full sized Ammo Fabs that take off the top of resource income!

This is awesome.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post

Sounds perfect to me.

Great idea !

Edit:
in a similar fashion

Fire mode 1:
Repair Armor

Fire mode 2:
Refill ammo

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-12 at 06:23 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

I do like it on the engineer, that seems to fit well with him.

Also, I believe it was mentioned that ammo packs are a sidegrade. You have to drop something in order to use them.
Old 2012-03-12, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Raka Maru
Major

Q: Since the Beamer has "self-charging" cells, does this mean it will never run out of ammo?
A: This is a side grade. So yes, but you lose damage.
I wonder if quote above refers to unlimited but less quality ammo, even letting you drop it.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
There's a bit of a difference between implementing an exclusive feature like skiing in a game that it wouldn't suit, and copying a feature that all your contemporaries have implemented in their games already, that your game HAS to have.
Features are never The Law. Nothing HAS to be in it because another game has it, that's a ridiculous argument.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion